YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mr.brownstone

Reaction score
'lend' your AFD!

M5c9O.gif

I haven't changed anything on my bias dial since getting it. Only ran auto bias and I still run the stock EL34's.

I don't know if lend is the right since I Google translated it from my native language.
What I mean is that my lead guitarist is going to play with my AFD (he only has a little Vox VT30) and I'll play with the YJM that I think will make a great job playing my rhythm parts.

duncan11

Reaction score
I don't know if lend is the right since I Google translated it from my native language.
What I mean is that my lead guitarist is going to play with my AFD (he only has a little Vox VT30) and I'll play with the YJM that I think will make a great job playing my rhythm parts.

no it's proper use of the word lend, I was just making a joke as that's something you don't hear too often!

w4n8R.jpg

3s5cxj

Midnight Blues

Reaction score

JimiRules

Reaction score
did it ever get worse as to it was becoming like every other time you powered it on?

No it only did it a couple of times, but I only had it for 2 weeks, so I don't know if it was going to become a common thing or not.

db3266

Reaction score
Anyone use / known anyone who uses a Zilla fatboy cab?
It's the perfect size for the YJM head, ie, it is 760 wide, so ever so slightly wider than the head. It's a 2x12, not as tall as the Marshall 1936 cab and 300 deep. Reviews suggest it is a really good sounding substitute for a 4x12.

It's a very tempting option for me. With is being only 460 tall, I can get the head on top of the cab and put the whole thing underneath my workbench in the music room, hence I can save quite a lot of floor space.

I am also reading that a combination of V30's and G12H speakers work really well, any comments on this?

db3266

Reaction score
Yes, I'd agree w/this ... also, much more balanced throughout the spectrum ... the bass is tight / punchy (as opposed to loose / flabby - imo), the mids are more defined / smooth (as opposed to rather scratchy - imo), and the highs are more rounded off / pleasing (as opposed to a bit rough - imo). Also, regardless of the application, they perform wonderfully ... from jazzy to thrash metal, they're spectacular ... I've never had another speaker that's a perfect fit regardless of what I'm playing. That's not to say the 25w GB's are not great themselves ... it's just that the tone I have in my head is found through the Heritage 30's.

Coming back to the speaker debate.....

I'm still questioning what speakers would be best. Clearly some form of Celestion Greenbacks, but, I play at home and there is no immedaite potential for me to gig, I'm not in a band etc etc. I actually wonder if plain old G12M's will be better for me? I do not get the EPA much above 10 o'clock and even if I did crank it to 12 o'clock, I'm guessing that even on 100W mode, I am a long way away from 50W's (the EPA is clearly not linear).

The G12M's are less sensitive and I wonder if they would offer more breakup at the relatively quiet volume levels that I play at and also allow me to turn the EPA up (louder) a bit more and release more of the amps potential? They will be going into a very good cab (I'm fairly certain I'll be getting a Zilla 2x12 to better suit my space requirements).

Mat_P

Reaction score
With the EPA on 10:00 you don't go anywhere near speaker breakup so that's probably of no concern really.
Can't compare the AHW directly to the AX anmore since mine has gone a few years ago but in direct comparision AHW against my '77 1960Lead with G12M25 'Blackbacks' the AHW with the 55Hz G12H-30 Heritage wins handsdown, I'd say even more so at lower volumes.
I'm actually thinking about trading the G12M-25 cab in favour of another HW.

SRD

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I bought a used YJM @ GC, took it home, played it at rehearsal and fell in love with it.
Unfortunately, the foot switch crapped out after three uses, and it had been a little beat on, so I regretfully brought it back.
I haven't been able to get over wanting it back, but I couldn't justify 1600 on an amp that's been beat on.
I finally broke down yesterday and bought a brand new one on ebay for 1800.
I see a lot of nights sleeping on the couch when the wife finally finds out, but I think it'll be worth it.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I bought a used YJM @ GC, took it home, played it at rehearsal and fell in love with it.
Unfortunately, the foot switch crapped out after three uses, and it had been a little beat on, so I regretfully brought it back.
I haven't been able to get over wanting it back, but I couldn't justify 1600 on an amp that's been beat on.
I see a lot of nights sleeping on the couch when the wife finally finds out, but I think it'll be worth it.

Actually mine first arrived without a foot switch at all as it was part of a bad batch so I was button bashing for 2 months till Marshall forwarded one on to me!
Still you've got a good deal compared to the retail price!

:cheers:

Mat_P

Reaction score
Mine refused to toggle the effects loop after about 4 weeks.
Had some annoying chat with the dealer and finally decided to repair it myself.
Turned out it was a contact issue that was easily fixed by putting a small piece of paper under the button.

duncan11

Reaction score

Aye, I hear ya. I was worrying about mine when I got it home, but I just said F it, walked right in the front door with it and plopped it in the study next to my AFD. What's that? Oh something I ordered months ago that finally came in....

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhf_2dESt4]Getting classic rock blues tones from the Marshall YJM100 head - YouTube[/ame]

Mat_P

Reaction score
Hey guys,

thought you might want to hear some YJM content from yesterday's rehearsal.
We're a little bit out of practice and in addition it was bloody cold in the room so forgive all the playing errors and the at times wonky timing and bending.
This was recorded just with two mikes on a Jecklin disc straight into a laptop with no special soundcard (just the default onboard card) into Goldwave.
I'm playing the YJM with 1960AHW (oh surprise) and my partner guitarist is running a '78 JMP2203 with a 1960A 100W cab of the same year.
General YJM setup:
EPA at noon, Rocktron Replifex in the loop for delay and reverb at times with two volumes programmed to kick in for leads. In front of the amp we have a Fulltone Deja Vibe 2, Morley Power Wah, TC Polytune and a xotic BB preamp.

First one:
YJM plays the upper melody line, 2203 below it, 2203 makes the solo.
No boost during the rythm parts, lead lines boosted with xotic BB preamp,
http://www.classics-hangar.de/privat/Southbound_Goldwave.mp3

#2, same setup as before, 2203 introduces, YJM upper melody, 2203 plays the solo.
http://www.classics-hangar.de/privat/Hollywood_Goldwave.mp3

YJM plays the lead guitar with the BB preamp in all the time.
http://www.classics-hangar.de/privat/Warrior_Goldwave.mp3

db3266

Reaction score
Not once did they mention what settings that were actually using on the amp?
Stupid review.......

Latest posts