YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SRD

Reaction score
Actually mine first arrived without a foot switch at all as it was part of a bad batch so I was button bashing for 2 months till Marshall forwarded one on to me!
Still you've got a good deal compared to the retail price!

:cheers:

oh God, that would freak me out.

Thanks, I was a little unsure but I asked how he can sell them so low compared to others and the guy said he was just trying to get his initial investment back because no one locally was interested in them.
Hopefully he's an honest guy and not selling me a refurb.

SRD

Reaction score
Mine refused to toggle the effects loop after about 4 weeks.
Had some annoying chat with the dealer and finally decided to repair it myself.
Turned out it was a contact issue that was easily fixed by putting a small piece of paper under the button.

I thought about opening up the foot switch to keep the used one, but I opened the back of the head and it looked as if something was spilled on it and the chassis was already starting to corrod, and the reverb button LED was pushed out of place, so I figured it wasn't taken care of very well.

Good to know though just in case of future issues.

Odin69

Reaction score
Hey guys,

thought you might want to hear some YJM content from yesterday's rehearsal.
We're a little bit out of practice and in addition it was bloody cold in the room so forgive all the playing errors and the at times wonky timing and bending.
This was recorded just with two mikes on a Jecklin disc straight into a laptop with no special soundcard (just the default onboard card) into Goldwave.
I'm playing the YJM with 1960AHW (oh surprise) and my partner guitarist is running a '78 JMP2203 with a 1960A 100W cab of the same year.
General YJM setup:
EPA at noon, Rocktron Replifex in the loop for delay and reverb at times with two volumes programmed to kick in for leads. In front of the amp we have a Fulltone Deja Vibe 2, Morley Power Wah, TC Polytune and a xotic BB preamp.

First one:
YJM plays the upper melody line, 2203 below it, 2203 makes the solo.
No boost during the rythm parts, lead lines boosted with xotic BB preamp,
http://www.classics-hangar.de/privat/Southbound_Goldwave.mp3

#2, same setup as before, 2203 introduces, YJM upper melody, 2203 plays the solo.
http://www.classics-hangar.de/privat/Hollywood_Goldwave.mp3

YJM plays the lead guitar with the BB preamp in all the time.
http://www.classics-hangar.de/privat/Warrior_Goldwave.mp3

Sounds good Mat. I like the sound of that BB preamp. I have the Xotic EP booster. Also, a good sounding pedal.

Odin69

Reaction score
How f@#kin cool is this? :) I was just jamming my YJM strat into the YJM 100 with my Hendrix cabinet. I stopped to take a break and couldn't help but, notice how great it looked together. Sorry, if it seems like I'm bragging, I just thought it was cool photo to share. :thumb:

DSCI0387.jpg

Odin69

Reaction score
How f@#kin cool is this? :) I was just jamming my YJM strat into the YJM 100 with my Hendrix cabinet. I stopped to take a break and couldn't help but, notice how great it looked together. Sorry, if it seems like I'm bragging, I just thought it was cool photo to share. :thumb:

DSCI0387.jpg

I believe so.

ufguy73

Reaction score
have that same amp/cab setup, though i mostly play the YJM through the Hendrix slant and the 100jh through the hendrix bottom.

like you, not bragging, but i do sometimes catch myself doing a doubletake because it looks so cool - this is exactly why (despite those who may have reasonable cause to bitch about it) im so happy yngwie insisted on making the YJM retain its classic look!

MrBurst

Reaction score
About the Celestion H-30 speakers:
I've owned both the Anni's and Heritage. The Heritage were more trebly.
Go read about them on The Gear Page forum, Plexi Palace, or anywhere else.
Most people agree. And most say the Heritage DO warm up after about 100 hours of hard break in.
Its the treble in both that help give that Pagey vintage tone.

Here's a pic of just SOME of the Marshall gear I've owned/tested. The JTM45 is the only one not vintage.

34bfH.jpg

I agree with this I'm ready rip my Heritages out due to the unbearable treble and harshness. I prefer my old Green Backs. I'm thinking of removing them and throwing in a couple Green Backs and 2 70th Anniversary's.

db3266

Reaction score
School me on pedals.

Up until recently I have not used any pedals with the YJM, but I will soon have a JamPedals Fuzz Phrase, wah, Xotic BB Preamp comp.

I normall find myself with the guitar volume on 10 and also the amp volume on 10, it sounds great, but I suspect will not be the correct way of using the amp with pedals in front of it.

The Fuzz will almost exlclusively be used with my Strat and the BB wih the LP. I'm targeting Hendrix tones and Mayall Bluesbreaker (Eric and Peter) and early Fleetwood Mac with the LP.

Some Greeny tunes need a nice clean tone with plenty of reverb.

I'm guessing the having the amp volume on 10 and using pedals is not the right way to go, engaging an OD pedal will only saturate the amp and restrict variation in tone from the pedal?

Hence my plan is to back off the amp volume to maybe 5 or 6 and set a nice crunch tone on the bridge of the LP (guitar volume on 10) and a nice round clean from the neck with the guitar volume backed off a little.

I will probably have to turn the EPA down (make the amp louder) to get the clean tones at a good volume level.

I then plan on setting the level, gain etc on the BB to push the amp and give me the OD tones I want and hence engaging or disengaging the pedal will give me crunch or clean.

I use the reverb in the amp, I think it is perfectly good enough.

When using the Strat the fuzz will almost always be on, hence the fuzz will be the main tone driver and I can regulate overall tone just using the guitar volume. I'm not a fan on the fuzz and the LP.

Does the above logic sound correct? Ie, am I EQing everything in the correct order?

I hope that I can stop using the built in boost and have the BB give me all the OD I need, which I hope will be warmer than the built in boost which is a bit edgy for the creamy tones I looking for.

Mat_P

Reaction score
Sounds about right, db.
You will find that you'll hardly want to go above 9 'o clock on the BB's gain pot but rather boost the volume on it all the way up.
In my sound samples on the previous page I have the YJM's volume I on 10 and the BB's gain all the way down, yet it's allready farting out somewhat in the mids.
With the YJM's volume I at around or below 7.5 you should normally get all the dynamics and drive range you need in conjunction with the guitar's volume pot and the BB.

kingbee

Reaction score
New owner of a YJM100. I have a question. I plug a 16ohm cab into the 16ohm jack. If I use the switch to go to 50 watts, do I now have to plug into the 8 ohm jack?

Odin69

Reaction score
have that same amp/cab setup, though i mostly play the YJM through the Hendrix slant and the 100jh through the hendrix bottom.

like you, not bragging, but i do sometimes catch myself doing a doubletake because it looks so cool - this is exactly why (despite those who may have reasonable cause to bitch about it) im so happy yngwie insisted on making the YJM retain its classic look!

I'd like to see some pictures of your set up.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I just had a NGD this week, so you guys are influencing me to bust out the camera tonight :naughty:

Those are some really sexy pictures, gentlemen! :cool:

Latest posts