AFD100...Not Impressed.

• Thread starter 5150evh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jorual

Reaction score
Hi.

I totally agree to you when you say that the demos on Youtube are not really good. This is due to the camera quality and the recording exactly in front of the amp with the no rigth volume.

I have several Marshall heads and I like all them. I have the AFD from 17th of January 2011 and I am really happy.

I think many people have big spectations to sound exactly like Slash and there are many things involving the sound.

I can assure you that teh 34# modes sounds exactly to UYI records. The thing is that you need to put the amp on Volume 6, Gain 8 and adding some booster in front it sounds in the same way. The thing is that on UYI records you can hear up to 6 guitars recorded and it gives a lot of sound and guitar presence.

The AFD mode is the real current sound of Slash. Nice gain, compression and mids.

treetrunk

Reaction score
I share your pain, and your views on the AFD100 EXACTLY.

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
Try upgrading then pre-amp tubes with a set of high gain JJ's or something like that, maybe from Eurotubes. I put 2 high gain pre-amps laying around and decided to experiment by placing them in V1 and V2, there is a noticeable increase in gain and smoothed out the #34 mode a bit. I'm curious to see what a full set would sound like.

jorual

Reaction score
Yes, that's true.

I changed all the preamp tubes to JJ ECC83 and it sounds much better and less fuzzy.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I don’t make $2000 decisions based on youtube videos. Besides, for 2 grand I’d get 2 JCM800’s that would crush the AFD and send it back to “where the grass is green and the girls are pretty”… Coz I’m getto like that!

The Ozzk

MKB

Reaction score
I'm glad I bought a Vintage Modern sight unseen, and the first time I heard one was the one I bought in my studio. The YouTube videos for that amp generally do not sound good to me, and do not communicate at all what I like about the amp. The Marshall videos are not much help either, as Chris George's guitar back then had NO high end at all.

I bought the amp that way as it was at a terrific price, had a good return policy, and the schematic looked like the amp would sound great (after you work on amps enough you can generally tell what an amp will sound like by looking at the schematic).

One important thing about trying out an AFD: make sure the speakers are broken in. Marshalls have a lot of high end anyway, and new speakers are often harsh sounding, this can make for a bright harsh sounding amp out of the box. Broken in speakers will tame this a lot.

Note that there are very few if any tube Marshalls that are considered to be bad sounding for their intended use. Buying an all tube Marshall is one of the safest bets in musical equipment.

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone said the Marshall 'branded' tubes sounded bad, I just said the amp had better gain with the JJ's.

jorual

Reaction score
I don’t make $2000 decisions based on youtube videos. Besides, for 2 grand I’d get 2 JCM800’s that would crush the AFD and send it back to “where the grass is green and the girls are pretty”… Coz I’m getto like that!

The Ozzk

Congrats. JCM 800 is nice amp. I have one Reissue, so if you get 2 of them, double satisfaction.

Anyway test and compare...