Ever Been Really Disappointed When You Tried A Guitar Youve Been Lusting For?

• Thread starter saxon68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-if I could ever bring myself to drill holes in my guitar for a couple of those fancy-(roller type)-string tree's it would be a good experiment..

- but besides big temp or humidity changes, its not an issue with my SG

Coronado

Reaction score
99.9% of Gibson tuning issues are related to the way they're being tuned (yeah, I know... no one here however, I'm sure)

If people would spend the 3 minutes watching Joe Walsh's Gibson setup video, their Gibson tuning woes would end. But, I constantly feel like I'm talking to a wall.

S'OK... my 5 Gibsons all stay in tune. E through E.

Watched Joe's 6 short clips - good information, not to mention he had me rolling! Found some other older videos of him demonstrating his slide technique. Some really great classic Joe. :yesway:

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Nice to see I am not the only one with this problem. Like I said, my buddy has an amazing epiphone ao I don't understand why I haven't loved the gibsons I played. I did have a 62 reissue back in 92 or 93 that I couldnt get to stay in tune to save my life, but I was almost all Floyds then, and got the SG after an epiphone that I had bought had the headstock break off while I was playing it. Turns out I didn't know about the tune up not down trick.

Bownse

Reaction score
Yep. My report was AFTER all the tricks with string stretch, nut lube, and more. I spent nearly a year being pissed it wouldn't stay in tune (and I've been playing various guitars/basses that I know "tune up"). The replacement nut (properly cut for the guage stings I use) and the wound G made all the difference (proper setup by a luthier who knows his stuff).

Part of my intonation issue was ME. I learned on an acoustic and was ham-handing the LP into #. It needed a lighter touch. The wound G also "fights back" a little better than the unwound variants can. It's a nuanced difference but did the trick for me. I now keep extra wound Gs in my kit to replace any set I may have to get that don't have the wound G (or just as an on-the-fly spare).

saxon68

Reaction score
Interesting Brownse. I bought my DC-1 ST used, and it came with flat wound strings and a wound G. I swapped them out right away before playing because they were a bit cruddy and I cant stand playing strings like that.

Bownse

Reaction score
The wound G may be for my heavy-handedness and G longevity (I used to slice them in half more regularly while playing).

The stability fix probably was a result of a good setup when they replaced the synthetic nut with a bone nut. Not the nut but how it was cut.

allwheelz

Reaction score
My 2016 Firebird.....loved it when I first got it, but once the honeymoon was over, i just leave it sit. Not that i'm really disappointed with it, i'm just hooked on the feel and sound of my les paul. I've been pondering on obtaining a les paul traditional for it somehow...

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-sounds as thou you already know the answer, definitely get what you'll play,,....

My 2016 Firebird.....loved it when I first got it, but once the honeymoon was over, i just leave it sit. Not that i'm really disappointed with it, i'm just hooked on the feel and sound of my les paul. I've been pondering on obtaining a les paul traditional for it somehow...

saxon68

Reaction score
I've tried a couple Ibanez models from recent years and been disappointed, my main for 20+ years was an RG470 from 1989 or so, MIJ. Sold for gas money for a moving truck.

Sir Don

Reaction score
When it comes to Ibanez guitars you really have to go for the prestige models if you want great build quality with exceptional playability. I have a few of them and wouldn't consider playing anything else other than prestige these days.

rick16v

Reaction score
I'm not real happy with my Tele. Once I figure out what pickups to put in it maybe I'll like it better. How did Jimmy Page make his sound so good on those first two albums?

With a fair bit of work, my tele sounds great on the bridge. I'm still working on the neck pup...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
With a fair bit of work, my tele sounds great on the bridge. I'm still working on the neck pup...

I was looking at the Dimarzio Area Hot T bridge and Area T neck. And the SD Hot-Tele set. These are all noiseless.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
When it comes to Ibanez guitars you really have to go for the prestige models if you want great build quality with exceptional playability. I have a few of them and wouldn't consider playing anything else other than prestige these days.

A prestige is on my dream list. I really want the new 652fx, had my eye on one of those for over 2 years now.. Man, someday.

EndGame00

Reaction score
After playing a few 2015 Gibby LP's at GC's Platinum Room with the Friedman Smallbox, I truly hate the neck profile on those guitars... My Epi Custom Pro has more meat and feels more comfortable to play even for a long period. The chambered bodies made them even lighter than my Ibanez.....

EndGame00

Reaction score
The Premium line is actually pretty good. I have the discontinued RG920 and I actually like the neck on them. I do wish they installed the older V7 and V8 pickups instead of the Dimarzio IBZ's.

rick16v

Reaction score
I was looking at the Dimarzio Area Hot T bridge and Area T neck. And the SD Hot-Tele set. These are all noiseless.

I went for a creamery pickups vintage 64 bridge and matched output Firebird in the neck. After shielding my tele, they are very quiet. I'm now moving the Firebird back towards the bridge a little bit, to try and brighten it a touch.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
After playing a few 2015 Gibby LP's at GC's Platinum Room with the Friedman Smallbox, I truly hate the neck profile on those guitars... My Epi Custom Pro has more meat and feels more comfortable to play even for a long period. The chambered bodies made them even lighter than my Ibanez.....

Which models did you play? The standard which I had for a while has the asymmetric neck, feels like a Jackson to me, very thin and wide. I think the other models had a 60's profile which would have been a little thicker though, still wide. The trad had a 50's neck which I'm sure with the wider board would have been a chore to play. That new neck definately takes some adjustment.

Latest posts