• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marijuana

• Thread starter Ghostman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Glad I liked to break the rules.

...and they wonder why I don't trust authoriy...

I don't think I've ever watched that all the way through...

One of my problems w/ the way "gov" has handled this & now even tobacco, is that, they are blatantly dishonest. There is plenty of proof that smoking anything is bad for your health, but the way they exaggerate it & put out blatant lies, makes you not believe any of it...

Like w/ cigarettes, they say that each cigarette has enough _________ (insert poison here) to kill a dozen rhinos, elephants or whatever. If that was true, we'd have a bunch of dead people from smoking less than 1 cigarette...

I remember they had an anti-pot film, when I was in IDK, 3rd grade? that showed if you took a puff, that suddenly a monster would show up, like a giant iguana in your sink, or something. So, when I smoked pot, nothing like they said would happen, so I figured it was all lies, about all drugs, so I tried out a lot of stuff in my youth.

If they'd just be honest about everything, they'd make a more compelling case. Once you figure out they lie, you don't trust them for much, everything is taken w/ a grain of salt...

yladrd61

Reaction score
Changes in marijuana policies across states legalizing marijuana for medical and/or recreational use suggest that marijuana is gaining greater acceptance in our society. Thus, it is particularly important for people to understand what is known about both the adverse health effects and the potential therapeutic benefits linked to marijuana.

Because marijuana impairs short-term memory and judgment and distorts perception, it can impair performance in school or at work and make it dangerous to drive. It also affects brain systems that are still maturing through young adulthood, so regular use by teens may have negative and long-lasting effects on their cognitive development, putting them at a competitive disadvantage and possibly interfering with their well-being in other ways. Also, contrary to popular belief, marijuana can be addictive, and its use during adolescence may make other forms of problem use or addiction more likely.

Whether smoking or otherwise consuming marijuana has therapeutic benefits that outweigh its health risks is still an open question that science has not resolved. Although many states now permit dispensing marijuana for medicinal purposes and there is mounting anecdotal evidence for the efficacy of marijuana-derived compounds, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved "medical marijuana." However, safe medicines based on cannabinoid chemicals derived from the marijuana plant have been available for decades and more are being developed.

This Research Report is intended as a useful summary of what the most up-to-date science has to say about marijuana and its effects on those who use it at any age.

Nora D. Volkow, M.D.
Director
National Institute on Drug Abuse

mcblink

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever watched that all the way through...

One of my problems w/ the way "gov" has handled this & now even tobacco, is that, they are blatantly dishonest. There is plenty of proof that smoking anything is bad for your health, but the way they exaggerate it & put out blatant lies, makes you not believe any of it...

Like w/ cigarettes, they say that each cigarette has enough _________ (insert poison here) to kill a dozen rhinos, elephants or whatever. If that was true, we'd have a bunch of dead people from smoking less than 1 cigarette...

I remember they had an anti-pot film, when I was in IDK, 3rd grade? that showed if you took a puff, that suddenly a monster would show up, like a giant iguana in your sink, or something. So, when I smoked pot, nothing like they said would happen, so I figured it was all lies, about all drugs, so I tried out a lot of stuff in my youth.

If they'd just be honest about everything, they'd make a more compelling case. Once you figure out they lie, you don't trust them for much, everything is taken w/ a grain of salt...
Yes yes yes to all of this. D.A.R.E and Operation Aware and shit like that....I remember that a cop came to the school with a briefcase packed full of drugs, and then proceeded to tell us absolute bullshit stories (scare tactics) about all of them in some misguided attempt to keep us children out of harm's way. I get that they were trying to do a good thing, but with the lies......they lost all their credibility and many of us went on to try everything known to man lol

yladrd61

Reaction score
Research Report

Cannabis (Marijuana) Research Report
Is marijuana addictive?​

Marijuana use can lead to the development of problem use, known as a marijuana use disorder, which takes the form of addiction in severe cases. Recent data suggest that 30% of those who use marijuana may have some degree of marijuana use disorder.18 People who begin using marijuana before the age of 18 are four to seven times more likely to develop a marijuana use disorder than adults.19
Marijuana use disorders are often associated with dependence—in which a person feels withdrawal symptoms when not taking the drug. People who use marijuana frequently often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to 2 weeks.20,21 Marijuana dependence occurs when the brain adapts to large amounts of the drug by reducing production of and sensitivity to its own endocannabinoid neurotransmitters.22,23
Marijuana use disorder becomes addiction when the person cannot stop using the drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life. Estimates of the number of people addicted to marijuana are controversial, in part because epidemiological studies of substance use often use dependence as a proxy for addiction even though it is possible to be dependent without being addicted. Those studies suggest that 9% of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it,24,25 rising to about 17% in those who start using in their teens.26,27
In 2015, about 4.0 million people in the United States met the diagnostic criteria for a marijuana use disorder;3 138,000 voluntarily sought treatment for their marijuana use.28

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Research Report

Cannabis (Marijuana) Research Report​

Is marijuana addictive?​

Marijuana use can lead to the development of problem use, known as a marijuana use disorder, which takes the form of addiction in severe cases. Recent data suggest that 30% of those who use marijuana may have some degree of marijuana use disorder.18 People who begin using marijuana before the age of 18 are four to seven times more likely to develop a marijuana use disorder than adults.19
Marijuana use disorders are often associated with dependence—in which a person feels withdrawal symptoms when not taking the drug. People who use marijuana frequently often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to 2 weeks.20,21 Marijuana dependence occurs when the brain adapts to large amounts of the drug by reducing production of and sensitivity to its own endocannabinoid neurotransmitters.22,23
Marijuana use disorder becomes addiction when the person cannot stop using the drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life. Estimates of the number of people addicted to marijuana are controversial, in part because epidemiological studies of substance use often use dependence as a proxy for addiction even though it is possible to be dependent without being addicted. Those studies suggest that 9% of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it,24,25 rising to about 17% in those who start using in their teens.26,27
In 2015, about 4.0 million people in the United States met the diagnostic criteria for a marijuana use disorder;3 138,000 voluntarily sought treatment for their marijuana use.28

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Recreational marijuana, like everything else on the planet, doesn't have to be taken to the extreme "turn yourself into a drooling moron" condition. Misuse anything, and it's detrimental to one's well being.

I think the world suffers far more from pompous assholes who talk down to people, in their quest to convince themselves they are superior to everyone else in pretty much every facet of life. Anybody else get tired of them types?

Yup, I sure do! :noplease:

Those, and the ones who are addicted to power. And I don't think I need to elaborate as to who those people are, or start citing examples, as that would kill the thread..We all know the who the types are I'm speaking of..Power trippers are the absolute WORST!

Of course, those who are on power trips are invariably also pompous assholes who talk down to people. One can be a pompous asshole without being on a power trip, but it's almost never the other way around! :lol:

DaDoc

Reaction score

Yeah, that report was done by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, who are and always have been strict adherents to the "Reefer Madness" mindset.

Back in the 70's, they used to show that movie at those "Midnight Matinees" that were popular then..That was when one could still smoke in the theatres, and as soon as the movie started everyone would light up doobies and laugh their asses off at that silly-assed flick! :rofl:

The funniest part though, was that was made as a serious movie meant to scare the hell ouuta people!

It was actually a propaganda film, as part of the move to make cannabis illegal..A really good read along these lines is "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer, it's a historical record of the cannibis plant and it's uses, along with the real reasons for marijuana prohibition, which I can't really go into here without getting too political.

Last edited:

yladrd61

Reaction score
Drug addiction symptoms or behaviors include, among others:

• Feeling that you have to use the drug regularly — daily or even several times a day
  • Having intense urges for the drug that block out any other thoughts
  • Over time, needing more of the drug to get the same effect
  • Taking larger amounts of the drug over a longer period of time than you intended
  • Making certain that you maintain a supply of the drug
  • Spending money on the drug, even though you can't afford it
  • Not meeting obligations and work responsibilities, or cutting back on social or recreational activities because of drug use
  • Continuing to use the drug, even though you know it's causing problems in your life or causing you physical or psychological harm
  • Doing things to get the drug that you normally wouldn't do, such as stealing
  • Driving or doing other risky activities when you're under the influence of the drug
  • Spending a good deal of time getting the drug, using the drug or recovering from the effects of the drug
  • Failing in your attempts to stop using the drug
  • Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when you attempt to stop taking the drug

DaDoc

Reaction score
I've known many, who would resort to stealing to get their next high.

If that's not addiction, I don't know what is...

Yeah, but again, you're mostly talking about types like hardcore junkies, crackheads, and meth heads when it comes to that.

If someone steals to buy weed, they're just a lazy-assed bastard and a thief who would rather steal than work for a living, they're too low-down and lazy to work, and so they steal for a living. I've known more than one of those in my lifetime..To me, it's more understandable if someone who is physically addicted to a hard drug steals..But a stoner thief is different.

But in any case, I hate a damned thief more than any other worthless excuse for a human being! They steal from those of us who goes out and busts our asses for what we have while we're away at work..:pissed:

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but again, you're mostly talking about hardcore junkies, crackheads, and meth heads when it comes to that.

if someone steals to buy weed, they're just a lazy-assed bastard and a thief who would rather steal than work for a living, they're too low-down and lazy to work, and steal for a living..I've known more than one of those in my lifetime..To me, it's more understandable if someone who is physically addicted to a hard drug steals..But a stoner thief is different.

But in any case, I hate a damned thief more than any other worthless excuse for a human being, they steal from those of us who goes out and busts our asses for what we have while we're away at work..:pissed:
well, in most cases, it's kids, who, their parents aren't going to be their party animal slush fund. So, while they are young/kids, maybe teenagers, they are learning the bad habits of stealing for their high. Most times, they'll steal from their family, which is the worst. If you can't be trusted by your family, who can trust you? If you'd steal from family, who wouldn't you steal from?

But, that also feeds into the lack of motivation learned young. Smoke out & not be motivated to work. It gets hard to get & keep a job, because you're not motivated enough to work, except to get high.

Some people outgrow that, I've seen it go both ways. I run into people years later & they are in the same boat, as when we were in highschool. Not gainfully employed & looking for their next high. They always ask me if I still party, hoping that I'll share something w/ them.

I've also known many who've simply moved on & straightened out, & some who still party & have either kept themselves afloat, or done decent. Seems though, most struggle throughout most of their life, while being a pothead... :shrug:

People who are addicted, usually do not see their addiction, nor the effects of it. If they see the ill effects, they typically blame it on everything else, but the addiction it's self. People on the outside can sometimes see their addiction & the effects, if they have close enough insight into the afflicted one's life. Usually, those closest around the addicted are affected as well by the addiction, even when the addicted, themselves, do not see any of it & are oblivious to it's consequences.

I'm not sure what differentiates a "stoner thief" from another drug thief... a beer thief? OxyContin thief? Heroin thief? Cigarette thief?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I just saw this article... kind of puts an end to the "nobody has ever died from cannabis" argument...

Virginia mother charged with MURDER after her four-year-old died from eating cannabis gummies that caused a 'cardiac episode'​

mcblink

Reaction score
I just saw this article... kind of puts an end to the "nobody has ever died from cannabis" argument...

Virginia mother charged with MURDER after her four-year-old died from eating cannabis gummies that caused a 'cardiac episode'​

I have many questions. Why specify Delta-8....as opposed to the more well known Delta-9? I suspect there's aspects to this story not covered in this article...generally Delta-8 users are legally getting stoned in a place where "THC" (Delta-9) is still outlawed, afaik...what I am sure of, however, is that this was no cannabis...this was a manufactured product, not an ordinary weed flower

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I have many questions. Why specify Delta-8....as opposed to the more well known Delta-9? I suspect there's aspects to this story not covered in this article...generally Delta-8 users are legally getting stoned in a place where "THC" (Delta-9) is still outlawed, afaik...what I am sure of, however, is that this was no cannabis...this was a manufactured product, not an ordinary weed flower
if it was accidental..........why a murder charge is what i dont get.
you cant accidentally murder somebody.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Yes yes yes to all of this. D.A.R.E and Operation Aware and shit like that....I remember that a cop came to the school with a briefcase packed full of drugs, and then proceeded to tell us absolute bullshit stories (scare tactics) about all of them in some misguided attempt to keep us children out of harm's way. I get that they were trying to do a good thing, but with the lies......they lost all their credibility and many of us went on to try everything known to man lol
BINGO! You can't tell people that pot is just as bad as heroine, coke, speed, etc...and then expevt them to believe you. Misinformation was the gateway.

Concerning DARE, I remember them coming into my high school and holding up pipes and bongs and asking if anyone had seen these things at home. Most of us laughed our asses off because we were stoned...but even being stoned we knew what they were up to.

Officer "Take note of that kid and get surveilance on their parents"

Latest posts