Marshall Dsl40cr 2018 Problems... And The Future?

lovehifi

Reaction score
Need advice on same issue cracking and popping noise on Jan 18 dated DSL40CR. This is my second one. Returned the first because of switching problems. Anyway after a couple of days my new one developed a low popping and crackling noise in the background. I have to be standing close to the amp to really notice it. The noise does not increase with volume. However it is there. If I stand back 10 feet from the amp I can not hear it any more. Love the sound of the amp though. My choices are keep it and live with it yet I worry it may get worse. I will never be using a mic on it. Or return it and have them order me another. Or just exchange it for a different model amp. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Try your spare set of tubes and see if the noise is still there

lovehifi

Reaction score
Try your spare set of tubes and see if the noise is still there
I have a new set of EL34s coming in I ordered for my Friedman. Will try them in the DSL first. However a couple of people have said they tried new tubes and the problem did not go away. I have already tried replacing the 3 pre amp tubes as well.

Slider

Reaction score
Mine arrived DOA. Well kinda. I powered it on, it gave a brief (yet loud) thump. Then I wanted to let it warm up but when I came back the power button was unlit again. I first thought about some power save mode yet no, it had died on me... :scream:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I hate to see the big M shooting themselves in the foot like this. No-ones complaining about the tones, the value, the volume or the features just silly reliability issues that with a bit of effort could be sorted before they ever started. C'mon Marshall....

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Need advice on same issue cracking and popping noise on Jan 18 dated DSL40CR. This is my second one. Returned the first because of switching problems. Anyway after a couple of days my new one developed a low popping and crackling noise in the background. I have to be standing close to the amp to really notice it. The noise does not increase with volume. However it is there. If I stand back 10 feet from the amp I can not hear it any more. Love the sound of the amp though. My choices are keep it and live with it yet I worry it may get worse. I will never be using a mic on it. Or return it and have them order me another. Or just exchange it for a different model amp. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
My advice is send it back unless a tube change fixes it. I had a Chinese Vox head that had a similar problem and it did not get better, ended up having to pay a tech to fix it later. Long story.....

jericbrazier

Reaction score
So... I purchased this Marshall DSL40CR amplifier from Long & McQuade in Montreal, QC, Canada in April 2018. As soon as I brought it home I noticed that the amp makes a weird crackling and popping noise, which I didn't hear in the store because it was very loud in there. In a quiet room it can be heard, though, and it is very annoying over the clean tones and silences. Over a few days I noticed the crackling and popping noise has become more pronounced and a bit louder. I was not entirely sure where the noise is coming from but none of the knobs on the amp seem to affect the noise. Except for the resonance knob that when turned all the way up, you could hear more of the crackling and popping noise. Also the noise could be heard more on the Low watt mode than the High watt. I tried to use different cables, different guitars, different power plugs in different houses, and finally a power conditioner that belongs to a friend of mine, but none seem to make the noise go away.

After a few days of not switching the amp on, I decided to play some guitar, and lo and behold, the Marshall that had crackling and popping noise problems out of the box, now had a built-in fuzz effect and the noise gate that cut out pretty much everything that I played. This was really strange. I guess there were serious issues with this particular amp I got. At that point I was really hoping Marshall isn't going into the downhill spiral that Gibson went with quality control, and this was just this specific unit's problem only.

The crackling and popping sound kept getting worse even though I would give this amp a few days of rest between playing -- I got a job you know ;D. It also curiously continued to make the sound for a few seconds after the amp was switched off.

You can see 3 videos I uploaded of this amp on YouTube here:

So finally I decided the amp is defective, and I returned it to the store for a refund. Long & McQuade were absolutely amazing in this case and helped me out a lot. They also told me there might be a recall from Marshall for all these amps to the factory, as it seemed to be a problem that affects probably a lot of DSL40CR's unfortunately and many people have been complaining about these.

I went to Steve's Music store in Montreal a few days later to enquire this, and see if they had also heard about such problems with these amps. ... and they confirmed that indeed both themselves and other friend instruments shops have had this saga with a few customers of this specific amp.

Long & McQuade advised me back in May that a new iteration of these amps will be released in June. So I called them up on June 19th (today) to see if they've been able to get a new batch from their distributor which is "Erikson Music Korg Canada". They said they still have the old batches and probably it's best if I waited much longer (more than another 2 months) so that Marshall clarifies and addresses these issues appropriately, before I go ahead and spend my time and money on another unit of the same model. I did ask them if they had any other customers after me, who also complained and returned their amps. They didn't want to say "yes" but didn't say "no" either. At the time I returned my amp however, they told me 3 other customers had issues with the amp as well.

So... as a Marshall lover, whose narrow budget, and auditory requirements perfectly match an apparently not very dependable product, I wanted to know your thoughts, recommendations, suggestions, advice on this matter. What should I do? Wait a couple more months and then go for it? Wait a whole year or more until Marshall makes new DSLs? or some other alternative?

Do you by any chance know anyone in Marshall who might be able to provide deeper insight into this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Perfect time to get a dsl40c on the cheap, if there are any new ones still around.
I have one, got her in ‘15. She’s a workhorse. I’ve swapped the speaker to a Eminence Swamp Thang, and had the amp biased when I put in new el34s. The only issue I’ve had is to get a really nice high gain tone the volume has to be between at least 2 and 3, which is loud. I solved this problem with an eq pedal in the loop that I use to attenuate the signal. It works pretty well. I also use a Bogner Red sometimes for a different flavor. I will sing this amp’s praises from the mountain top!

jericbrazier

Reaction score
I really really hope that was the case. That helps me build up my confidence to go for another one of the same model. Someone with a DSL100HR also had the same issue. At this point I think what would help determine the cause is for the owners of these amps to identify their amp's month/year of production. Mine was 01/18. If an amp made in another month also has the same issue, I'd be reluctant to think it was a tube issue.[/QU
Their stock tubes are crap, at least the el34s. My preamp tubes are still going strong (knock on wood).

SGFA

Reaction score
Yea, I have a DSL40CR sitting here that doesn't have issues. I just prefer the tones of the Mini Jube and SB50. I'll probably sell the DSL here locally. I much preferred the tone of my DSL40C and DSL 50.
Can you elaborate on that: why you prefer the previous DSL40C better then the new DSL40CR? Thanks

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that: why you prefer the previous DSL40C better then the new DSL40CR? Thanks

While I can't speak for @Boldkharma it seems that the DSL 40C doesn't exhibit the myriad of widely varied issues that the DSL 40CR seems to. Noise problems not cured by tube swaps, a whole list of slightly different switching issues, etc, etc! I've not perused the threads about the 40C, but they may have had a few issues when first released?

My DSL 40CR had serious switching problems that would only show up after the amp was fully warmed up and would not go away until the amp was fully cooled off. Then it would function perfectly until warmed up again. Marshall USA (aka US MUSIC CORP) told me thay had never heard of such issues and begged me to send it to them (on their dime) with the promise of a "Quick Turn Around RMA" and that they'd get their "three best guys" right on it! :rolleyes: Following more than three weeks in their shop, it shipped back out yesterday, with the claim that they tracked it down to some sort of "issue with the firmware" but given the warming up factor, I'm not really buyin' it! :scratch: We'll see when it shows back up next week. If not absolutely perfect, it will get stuffed right back to where Marshall's sun don't shine!:nutkick: :wow:

On the other hand, it did sound fantastic (IMHO, better than the 40C), no noise issues and all features, when working correctly were pretty useful! The reverb was however a bit weak and wimpy compared to the reverb in my DSL 20CR. :sad:

Just My 40 Watts!
Gene

SGFA

Reaction score
Thanks Gene! Too bad about the issues. My question was about the tone, as Boldkharma said that he likes the old one more...

Boldkharma

Reaction score

I can't quite put my finger on it but I really did like the OD1 channel better on my old DSL40c. I think it was closer in tone to my old favorite DSL50. My DSL40CR is on craigslist now.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
While I can't speak for @Boldkharma it seems that the DSL 40C doesn't exhibit the myriad of widely varied issues that the DSL 40CR seems to. Noise problems not cured by tube swaps, a whole list of slightly different switching issues, etc, etc! I've not perused the threads about the 40C, but they may have had a few issues when first released?

My DSL 40CR had serious switching problems that would only show up after the amp was fully warmed up and would not go away until the amp was fully cooled off. Then it would function perfectly until warmed up again. Marshall USA (aka US MUSIC CORP) told me thay had never heard of such issues and begged me to send it to them (on their dime) with the promise of a "Quick Turn Around RMA" and that they'd get their "three best guys" right on it! :rolleyes: Following more than three weeks in their shop, it shipped back out yesterday, with the claim that they tracked it down to some sort of "issue with the firmware" but given the warming up factor, I'm not really buyin' it! :scratch: We'll see when it shows back up next week. If not absolutely perfect, it will get stuffed right back to where Marshall's sun don't shine!:nutkick: :wow:

On the other hand, it did sound fantastic (IMHO, better than the 40C), no noise issues and all features, when working correctly were pretty useful! The reverb was however a bit weak and wimpy compared to the reverb in my DSL 20CR. :sad:

Just My 40 Watts!
Gene
I hope all the issues with the amp are resolved when it comes back.

In the interest of fairness to Marshall, I also have to point out that it is often only the people who have had a bad experience who voice their dissatisfaction, so it is easy to get a skewed picture. As another poster also mentioned, the DSLs are produced in big numbers, so it is also not surprising to see a significantly bigger number of complaints from owners. I'm not saying that there might not be issues with QC, but that the existing complaints should be put in perspective.

As far as noise goes, I think some amount of noise is common with all tube amps. Both my DSL15C and DSL20CR also crackle in direct proportion with the amount of gain dialed in, suggesting that it is coming from the preamp tubes. Probably normal, especially considering that Marshall may not put the best of the best tubes in the amps when they are shipped from the factors. At the same time, I also believe that things such as crackling are going to be more, and especially so, noticeable in home settings than at real gigs, where amps are played at more realistic volumes.

Lastly, I see that some people think the quality difference between the C models and their CR counterparts are considerable. I know I can't speak for everyone, but to me my DSL15C and DSL20CR both sound good. I think that with less gain on the DSL20CR's Ultra Gain channel it is harder for beginners to screw it up by dialing in too much gain. However, I also think that with the switch to EL34s and the reduced amount gain on the Ultra Gain channel, the DSL20CR is a more classic amp than its predecessor, which, at the extreme tail end of applications, can pose some limitation.

EastLa

Reaction score
I've found a problem, not really an amp problem. One of the places my band rehearses has a voltage problems. We're only getting 100v (US, not 110-130v), and whenever I play here the FX loop refuses to operate correctly (the on/off) capabilities basically turns off. If I unplug and reseat the footswitch, the loop will come online. I basically leave the FX loop on the whole time. I've also notices a power output varies under these conditions.

It's something to think about if you do start running into problems, check your input voltage.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I've found a problem, not really an amp problem. One of the places my band rehearses has a voltage problems. We're only getting 100v (US, not 110-130v), and whenever I play here the FX loop refuses to operate correctly (the on/off) capabilities basically turns off. If I unplug and reseat the footswitch, the loop will come online. I basically leave the FX loop on the whole time. I've also notices a power output varies under these conditions.

It's something to think about if you do start running into problems, check your input voltage.

That Sir, is quite an astute observation! Here in Las Vegas, with 115 degree (or higher) daytime temperatures, the voltage fluctuations from one time of day to another can be fairly substantial. Definitelt another aspect to keep an eye on, if the problem re-occurs! Maybe I should test it with my variac?
Thank You Sir!
Gene

Latest posts