New amp 800, 900 sl-x, jvm ?

• Thread starter NateCordova
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NateCordova

Reaction score
i have played on a JMP-1 and they can sound very good when matched up with the right power amp & cab , you might end up spending more money that way though .
But you get the versatility of many different sounds all packed into one unit . I have to agree here with a few other members that you will have to go out and play on a few different amps and get an idea as to what amp YOU like , that will help you alot with
the amp selection .

how much does a used jmp-1 go? sort of?

I dont need A LOT of sounds.
I just need that great distortion sound im looking for with a footswitchable clean.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Used jmp-1 here in Canada go for Low side 500$ , and high 750$
then a power amp will cost you 500$ low side and 800$ to 900$ high side (used)
then a 4x12 (used) 400$ -600$

these are all approximate prices .

NateCordova

Reaction score
well i was thinking of only a

Used Marshall JMP-1 + footswitch
Used 20 watt power amp
And a 2x12 with V30s

=P

Yea your right it would be costly. But would it sound the same as 800?

Im asking cuz they sounded a litle solid state on some videos i've seen.

Well if i see that the budget won't be high enough for this i can always wait a bit more and gather more.
I'd need to know the exact amp i wanna buy though.

Yeah when i'll have time il go to lisbon to test amps again. Im pretty busy with the band stuff atm.

NateCordova

Reaction score
There are some people here actually selling a 1992 6101 LM, a marshall jmp1 and a 900 SL-X. So i asked them to test those. Lets see what happens

What are the diffrences of a 6100 to a 6101 and what does LM stand for, are there all diffrent models? O.o

BTW there is also a guy selling a jmp-1 and a 50 watt marshall power amp both for 900 euros so its kinda in my budget.
Would it be a better option than a 6100? or JVM or...well lol just give me your thoughts on it :p

alsooo, this 6101 has a Watt toggle switch. You can choose from 100 / 50 / 25 watts. Man is this thing really good? I mean, every freaking Watt selector switch i tried always ended to be useless cuz it would make the amp with less watts sound worse...more lifeless. Is this like that too? If this amp sounds just like what i want in distortion, has 3 channels and can be played great at 25 watts then man, im sold.

edit: wait is the 6101 the combo version?

Last edited:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
well i was thinking of only a

Used Marshall JMP-1 + footswitch
Used 20 watt power amp
And a 2x12 with V30s

=P

Yea your right it would be costly. But would it sound the same as 800?

Im asking cuz they sounded a litle solid state on some videos i've seen.

Well if i see that the budget won't be high enough for this i can always wait a bit more and gather more.
I'd need to know the exact amp i wanna buy though.

Yeah when i'll have time il go to lisbon to test amps again. Im pretty busy with the band stuff atm.

the jmp1 + power amp + 2x12 w v30's would sound good for what your after IMO , will it sound like a 800 you ask ??? close but not dead bang on !!
The nice thing about a jmp1 is you get several different sounds from one unit .You can go from early jtm light crunch to super high gain metal tones with the jmp-1 .:fingersx:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
There are some people here actually selling a 1992 6101 LM, a marshall jmp1 and a 900 SL-X. So i asked them to test those. Lets see what happens

What are the diffrences of a 6100 to a 6101 and what does LM stand for, are there all diffrent models? O.o

BTW there is also a guy selling a jmp-1 and a 50 watt marshall power amp both for 900 euros so its kinda in my budget.
Would it be a better option than a 6100? or JVM or...well lol just give me your thoughts on it :p

alsooo, this 6101 has a Watt toggle switch. You can choose from 100 / 50 / 25 watts. Man is this thing really good? I mean, every freaking Watt selector switch i tried always ended to be useless cuz it would make the amp with less watts sound worse...more lifeless. Is this like that too? If this amp sounds just like what i want in distortion, has 3 channels and can be played great at 25 watts then man, im sold.

edit: wait is the 6101 the combo version?

*The 6101 is a combo version of the 6100 series amps !
*" LM " stands for " lead mod " the 3rd channel has been factory modified for more gain , and it sounds wonderful IMO ! ( only on channel 3 , think super high gain )
*The power settings on the back of the 6100 are very useable , in triode low power setting (25 watts ) you get to really crank your master volume to get
that power amp working , in alot of cases it will help with your tone , anytime
you can get more poweramp distortion at reasonable volumes is a big + IMO !

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Used jmp-1 here in Canada go for Low side 500$ , and high 750$
then a power amp will cost you 500$ low side and 800$ to 900$ high side (used)
then a 4x12 (used) 400$ -600$

these are all approximate prices .

I completely lucked out and got one for $350.00 on the bay with shipping. That has to be a record low. The one I had a couple of years back before the one I currently have sold for approx $650.00.

The only problem with the JMP-1 was a bad preamp tube and loose input jack.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I completely lucked out and got one for $350.00 on the bay with shipping. That has to be a record low. The one I had a couple of years back before the one I currently have sold for approx $650.00.

The only problem with the JMP-1 was a bad preamp tube and loose input jack.

love it !! great price & easy fix !!
My pal had one with a Boogie power amp & a 4x12 , sounded great !:dude:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Yup! I run mine with a Boogie 2:90. Thunderous. :rock:

same amp my pal used + a boogie tall 4x12 w/ v30 = huge !!
fwiw he had the triaxis at first thinking to go all boogie , but after
realizing the he hated it , he tryed out the jmp1 that he borrowed form
another player , it was love at first chord !!! :thumb:

my pal with this rig used to work at an L&M store and was able to try out
alot of preamps etc , but he went with the Marshall ....whats that tell ya !!

NateCordova

Reaction score
My guitar teacher tried a 6100 and said he didnt really like it. He has a laney GH50L though and he likes it but his fav amp is a diezel.

Fuck the laney cuz i need a two channel amp. Even if i still get cleans with the guitar volume i loose a lot of volume. Don't want that!

Im seriously interested in trying the 6100 LM. 25 watt which means it should be cranked higher giving more natural distortion. I think this natural distortion will give it that crunch and balls. Like the Hair Metal guys? xD Confirm me on this.
It's probably the ideal wattage that i want. I would ran it on 6 or 7 probably (on 25 watt mode).
And if that aint enough i can change to 50 w. Clubs nowadays don't let you crank it really fucking loud.
But i heard the LM versions are more scooped!? Is this because only the diffrent tubes?

Also soldano hot rod 50 plus looks rly cool if i can find one really cheap like the one thats on ebay atm ,900 dollars. The overdrive is nearly identical as the SLO.

And there we have marshall JMP-1 with a power amp

Cab wud be a 2x12 with V30s.

I know these questions are kinda useless i try the amps but im waiting for the replys of the guys in ads to let me try them atm. Can't try a soldano, but my teacher said it was very good though.

Which one of these will sound closer to that 80s tone in distortion?

NateCordova

Reaction score
I'm definatly liking this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gukZhMX4idc]YouTube - Marshall 6100 vs 2203 (Video 3)[/ame]

I actually prefer a little bit the 6100 here :O Sounds a bit more saturated which is cool. I can't tell them apart except if i listen to one imediatly after the other. I think that the 800 has better frequencies but the 6100 can achieve bigger saturation making it probably more crunchy. Still i wont get a 800 cuz its not handy at all. Better than the 800 would probably a soldano hot rod 50 plus.

See, this would be how i would set my eq sorta like that. And if i can run it on 25 watts then i would get killer distortion.

Notice he's using a recto cab. Is the cab brands that diffrent or the sound is more like in the speakers? Cuz it think that cab has v30s.

Last edited:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Trust me , if your into the sleazy LA metal like i am , track down a 6100LM .
It will do that type tone no problem on channel 2 alone !! I used to have a 2210
for years , and the 6100 will run circles around it !

NateCordova

Reaction score
Trust me , if your into the sleazy LA metal like i am , track down a 6100LM .
It will do that type tone no problem on channel 2 alone !! I used to have a 2210
for years , and the 6100 will run circles around it !

LA Sleazy Metal? What are those type of bands? I know... hair metal ,is that what you mean? I want a 80s sound and this definatly sounds great.

That video's awesome, seriously i want that tone. The 6100 sounds better than the 800 in this video tbh. The 6100 sounds like a 800 but with better sound quality, more defined. The 800 looks a bit muffled here

The guy has a SH4 on the bridge pickup i think i saw it on another video of is. I'll get this pickup too. My les paul is a very dark sounding guitar with big bass. Sucks for funky stuff but excells at rock and metal if paired with a amp and pickups with mids and treble.

BTW tell me something, can i do something like add a reverb pedal on the loop but only be activated on the clean channel per instance?

lord_guitarula

Reaction score
If you want to know what a jmp-1 sounds like, take a listen to this http://www.netmusicians.org/files/56-Grizzly%20-%20Way%20up%20High.mp3

It is possible to have certain effects on only at a certain sound, however you will need a looper that you controll via a midi footcontroller. If you should go for the jmp1 you might as well invest in a multi FX like the G-major which will handle all the common effects in stereo. Also it can be used as a channel switcher for your amp so even if you decide not to buy the jmp-1 the g-major will be a good choice IMO. (btw the 6100s are midi compatible sou you could also controll everything via midi)

NateCordova

Reaction score
If you want to know what a jmp-1 sounds like, take a listen to this http://www.netmusicians.org/files/56-Grizzly%20-%20Way%20up%20High.mp3

It is possible to have certain effects on only at a certain sound, however you will need a looper that you controll via a midi footcontroller. If you should go for the jmp1 you might as well invest in a multi FX like the G-major which will handle all the common effects in stereo. Also it can be used as a channel switcher for your amp so even if you decide not to buy the jmp-1 the g-major will be a good choice IMO. (btw the 6100s are midi compatible sou you could also controll everything via midi)

That marshall jmp-1 sounds great man rly. And that song is damn awesome.
Is it yours?

But i wonder if the jmp1 is sterile when used with a power amp and speaker cuz i heard it was like that :\ It sounded solid state in a lot of videos i've seen of it.

But for recording it has much better quality than the 6100 output right?
How was this recorded? I mean , it was jmp-1 to pc?

I guess i won't make a decision until i try at least the JMP-1 and the 6100

I'll pass on the G major i dont really need effects that much to be worth the price.

lord_guitarula

Reaction score
Nope, that was recorded with two mics put in front of a cab, IMO the only way you're gonna get that great, heavy sound.
And yea, you should really try both amps before you make your decision, because a recorded amp will always sound a little different than it sounds live!

NateCordova

Reaction score
Nope, that was recorded with two mics put in front of a cab, IMO the only way you're gonna get that great, heavy sound.
And yea, you should really try both amps before you make your decision, because a recorded amp will always sound a little different than it sounds live!

Are the mics really expensive?

Just asking cuz when i'll need to record songs with my band later on i want this quality, man its great.

lord_guitarula

Reaction score
Well I used 2 mics, a sure sm57 (under 100$) and a sennheiser md421 (~300$) to get that sound.
That said, you won't need both to get a good sound! Using only one sm57 can get you a really quallity sound too. There are also other mics like the sennheiser e609 which are in the same price range as the sm57, really depends on the sound you want (check youtube for soundsamples)

NateCordova

Reaction score
Well I used 2 mics, a sure sm57 (under 100$) and a sennheiser md421 (~300$) to get that sound.
That said, you won't need both to get a good sound! Using only one sm57 can get you a really quallity sound too. There are also other mics like the sennheiser e609 which are in the same price range as the sm57, really depends on the sound you want (check youtube for soundsamples)

I see :) and then it records straight into the pc? did you have to change soundcards?

Latest posts