New Marshall “studio Amp”

• Thread starter pleximaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been deliberating over the DSL20cr or 20hr, or DSL5CR for the past two months. I told myself not to be too impatient, wait until NAMM 2019, maybe they’ll be something new to consider. I deliberated and deliberated and asked many questions from all the knowledgeable folks here about what should I get. And everyone here has been very patient and accommodating.

I considered the Dsl20 because of the 20/10 watts and the EL34 power tubes. But I’m a at home player, certainly the DSL5CR is a much better fit,....but a 10” speaker and a EC99 power tube,....I’m not sure.

What I really want is a Marshall with EL34 power tubes, low wattage, a 12” speaker,....so I hesitate and hesitate and lose myself in all the different options. All the while thinking I should wait to see what Marshall has to offer for 2019,...........and low and behold they come out with the Studio and Vintage Series Amps.

So the Studio Series seems exactly what I’m looking for,......ie, low wattage, (20/5), EL34 power tubes, a head so I can use a 1-12 cab I already own,.... and made in England to boot!!!! What could be better!! Nothing!!!!

I’ve ordered the Marshall Studio Classic 20/5 watt head,.....it should be here sometime next week. Ok so it’s like twice the price of the amps I was considering,...but it’s checks off ALL the boxes I’ve put myself in,....low wattage, ( as low as 5), EL34 power tubes, (no 10” speaker),and made in England,...that’s the clincher!!!

I can’t wait for it’s arrival!! :D

I’m a very happy man right now!!!!i
AATTAA baby Scozz way to rock in the new year bright and proper! Cheers brother

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
Spending a lot of time with the Vibro-Champ and Pathfinder, neither of which have master volumes, I'm getting familiar with power tube distortion. I'm now leaning towards the Studio Vintage over Classic.

Kim Lucky Day: Thanks for the picture of the Studio Vintage on the 1965A. It looks like a small box 1987 on a 1960A but shrunken. Looking up the 1965/1966 cabinet, it's roughly about the same width as the Mojotone Imperial cabinet I'm looking to buy and load my speakers into. I asked Mojotone for a picture of their 20-watt head cabinet (which seems to be the same width as the Studio heads) on their Imperial speaker cabinet about an hour or two before you posted your pic. However, the Imperial is slightly taller than the 1965A/1966A, so I'm still holding off until Mojotone gives me the pics.

You guys do realize that my new SV20H is going to look better on top my 2061CX than the new matching 2x12 cabs they offer :)
Oh, and creambacks too, or maybe greenbacks? That will be interesting to try. I like my Origin better with the greenies so who knows? Might have to do some speaker swapping.
Funnily enough, it looks like they may have started up production of the 2061x and 2061cx. Guitar Center seems to have more coming in. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall/2061CX-2x12-Extension-Cabinet.gc

You already have your 2061cx, and I'm getting a cabinet made, but it might be of use to others interested in the Studio Vintage.

SRD

Reaction score
I lurk around and have read stuff on here only posting or adding to topics every once and a great while.
I've had a couple of DSLs, TSLs, a JMP, a few SLXs and various combos.
Currently, I have a 2205, 2100, JMP-1 into and 8008, Lead 12, original Guv'Nor pedal, a couple of 1960s, 1912, an MS-4 for good measure
I don't feel like I have any great ear to comment on stuff, I just like what I like, but after seeing the studio series this morning on a NAMM post, I had an online order to pick up at a local GC during lunch so I figured I'd ask when they may get some in and low and behold there were the vintage and classic sitting right there. Of course I had to plug in, and that is why I'm posting.
First the vintage, great tone, high input was like glass in a good way, low channel nice and full, more than I expected honestly. Jumped the channels and it was good, for me, it took a little more volume than I hoped for to break up, but if that isn't a concern for you, then it's very cool.
I moved over to the Classic, plugged in the high channel, damn, loved it almost instantly.
I messed around with the knobs a little to almost not like it and for the most part, it was everything I hoped.
Crap, now I gotta get back to work, I'm already late.
To keep myself from rambling on any more, it's now in my basement cooling down from about an hour of use and I'm still real happy with it.
I A-Bed it with my 2205 & 1960 wG12c speakers and honestly, I think I might like it a little better. The 2205 is has a little more gain of course, but I think the Classic is a little thicker sounding.
Yes, $2000 is a little steep for essentially an open back 20w combo (I bought the head and matching cab) but I'm thinking the weight and space saving this thing will do gig wise is worth it to me.
I read earlier that someone also picked up the classic and eventually will grab a vintage used down the road and that is my plan also.
Marshall really nailed it with this new line in my opinion.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like what they did is make a DSL available in separate forms..cause if you learn the DSL a whole bunch of Marshall goodness in it naturally..and you can run it old school and boost or pre gain all ya want...i don't do much outside of band work & studio sessions..just dont have the time.but might hire my studio guy and make a proper video demo of a DSL copying..jmp-800-900-tones; I am in all in favor of Marshall..i just think they been giving a real good package all along in the DSL..as a gigging and studio musician..the DSL can do it all...last year the Origin & DSL where very good amps and if anything, started a revival of revisiting ..all that is good about Marshall amps...Origin is old school & DSL anything you want it to be..these 3 new Studios are great addition !!...el34's of any Marshall cooking and a Gibson & some strat action from time to time

I agree,.....as a matter of fact if it wasn’t for all the problems with the Dsl20, both the head and combo, I think I would’ve bought one of those,....because I can be very impatient.

If those amps were problem free, I almost certainly would’ve bought one of those and not waited for NAMM.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lurk around and have read stuff on here only posting or adding to topics every once and a great while.
I've had a couple of DSLs, TSLs, a JMP, a few SLXs and various combos.
Currently, I have a 2205, 2100, JMP-1 into and 8008, Lead 12, original Guv'Nor pedal, a couple of 1960s, 1912, an MS-4 for good measure
I don't feel like I have any great ear to comment on stuff, I just like what I like, but after seeing the studio series this morning on a NAMM post, I had an online order to pick up at a local GC during lunch so I figured I'd ask when they may get some in and low and behold there were the vintage and classic sitting right there. Of course I had to plug in, and that is why I'm posting.
First the vintage, great tone, high input was like glass in a good way, low channel nice and full, more than I expected honestly. Jumped the channels and it was good, for me, it took a little more volume than I hoped for to break up, but if that isn't a concern for you, then it's very cool.
I moved over to the Classic, plugged in the high channel, damn, loved it almost instantly.
I messed around with the knobs a little to almost not like it and for the most part, it was everything I hoped.
Crap, now I gotta get back to work, I'm already late.
To keep myself from rambling on any more, it's now in my basement cooling down from about an hour of use and I'm still real happy with it.
I A-Bed it with my 2205 & 1960 wG12c speakers and honestly, I think I might like it a little better. The 2205 is has a little more gain of course, but I think the Classic is a little thicker sounding.
Yes, $2000 is a little steep for essentially an open back 20w combo (I bought the head and matching cab) but I'm thinking the weight and space saving this thing will do gig wise is worth it to me.
I read earlier that someone also picked up the classic and eventually will grab a vintage used down the road and that is my plan also.
Marshall really nailed it with this new line in my opinion.

Nice review @SRD,.... I see you’re in Lowell MA. My daughter and her family live in Tewksbury,....not too far from you. Pretty cold up there huh?

Reactions: SRD

SRD

Reaction score
Nice review @SRD,.... I see you’re in Lowell MA. My daughter and her family live in Tewksbury,....not too far from you. Pretty cold up there huh?
Yeah, Tewksbury is about 15 minutes away from me.
It's pretty messed up weather wise, early in the week sleety type snow, then it's 60 so the snow melts, and then I go out at lunch today and it 30ish degrees and I think to myself, eh, it's not to bad today :)

Michael Roe

Reaction score
So how many of you guys that bought or are going to buy the SV have an Origin? Do you think you will like the SV better? Will you keep your Origin?

Fender

Reaction score
I'd jump for joy if they made a 20w 70s JMP MV Studio. SJ20H!
Well it would not be anything else than the sc20h with a different headshell...
SA20H with its blue headshell would be a killer addition though

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
For those of you that don't have the scratch for a Marshall Studio combo, Blackstar makes the same combo for a thousand dollars less called the Studio 10, not exactly the same but close enough. They come with a choice of EL34, 6L6, or KT88 power tubes, and it has a 12" Celestion. If brand name or brand loyalty is not important to you, there you have it.

Last edited:

Kim Lucky Day

Reaction score
So how many of you guys that bought or are going to buy the SV have an Origin? Do you think you will like the SV better? Will you keep your Origin?

I have an Origin 20H. When I first got it, I was pretty happy with it. Then I started having problems with it that were eventually straightened out but lately it just hasn't been sounding the way it did before. Very harsh fizzy, and thin, no matter how I EQ'd it.

The SV20H was very much an impulse buy but man, it sounds like a million bucks to my partially deaf ears. Earlier in the other NAMM2019 thread everyone was speculating about what Big M would introduce or what they'd like to see. I had commented on how a 20W version of an amp similar to the Class 5 would be pretty awesome, with the idea that the C5 doesn't have a master volume but gets its crunch from power tube overdrive. This SV20H is just about exactly what I had in mind.

I won't be getting rid of the Origin just yet but if I find it sitting idle often, I will unload it.

walshb

Reaction score
Can't wait for all the JCM800 Studio vs. (fill in the blank) reviews from actual owners. I'd be really curious to hear how the DSLs and the Mini Jubilee stack up against the JCM800 Studio.

I have a Mini Jube combo, but I left it at band practice yesterday, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to do a comparison, but I'll certainly try to get around to this, because I'm also curious! I love the Mini Jube, the clean channel is spectacular IMO.

ken361

Reaction score
I have an Origin 20H. When I first got it, I was pretty happy with it. Then I started having problems with it that were eventually straightened out but lately it just hasn't been sounding the way it did before. Very harsh fizzy, and thin, no matter how I EQ'd it.

The SV20H was very much an impulse buy but man, it sounds like a million bucks to my partially deaf ears. Earlier in the other NAMM2019 thread everyone was speculating about what Big M would introduce or what they'd like to see. I had commented on how a 20W version of an amp similar to the Class 5 would be pretty awesome, with the idea that the C5 doesn't have a master volume but gets its crunch from power tube overdrive. This SV20H is just about exactly what I had in mind.

I won't be getting rid of the Origin just yet but if I find it sitting idle often, I will unload it.
something is wrong with your origin bro they are warm and fat:)