• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Selling Regrets ?

• Thread starter Steve Smith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Smith

Reaction score
Sore subject maybe ... but who has sold an amp that years later wish they had not?

I realise that it is a fiscal thing but not always.

My 2 are...

1976 Fender Twin Silverface in mint condition I bought for £180 in 1980 and sold for 200 quid in 88 to buy drugs (no not really)

1989 first Edition JCM900 100W dual channel head I got almost new from a skint mate for £150 with the proviso that he could buy it back for 200 when he got back on his feet. Was moving into a small 1 bedroom flat at the time and the GF told me that we did not have room for all my music stuff.

Steve Smith

Reaction score
Epiphone Valve Special (lacked features, but super fun)
Valvestate Combo (really only needed a speaker swap)

Early Pre Vietnam Valvestates are just the dogs ! Lucky enough to pick up a mint AVT 150 1x12 combo for £150 a couple of years go and the 1x12 ext cab for £90. Is my gig rig now, just loads of headroom for venues up to 300. Onboard FX + my Dunlop 535Q, 1 guitar. Still heavy though for an old man with a dodgy back :D:D:D Do these new fangled speakers with ceramic magnets really lighten the load? Might look to upgrade to them

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I was in a cash bind at the time, i was $500 short on the price of a new 6100 and i offered that for the difference and the shop owner took it. I do not regret getting the 6100 though it really is an amazing head, still my favorite Marshall.
I guess your windows and neighbors are happy you don’t own a 1959 SLP .
I just miss my JCM 900 and due to advice given here years ago not buying the $900 modded JMP at guitar center!

Steve Smith

Reaction score
I was in a cash bind at the time, i was $500 short on the price of a new 6100 and i offered that for the difference and the shop owner took it. I do not regret getting the 6100 though it really is an amazing head, still my favorite Marshall.

Well no worries my friend, modern amps are better than old amps

I am a petrolhead and my baby is a 1999 Jaguar XKR Coupe

But....

New Jaguar F-Type or 1961 Jaguar E-Type ?

Heart vs head

download.jpg 11258312.jpg

anitoli

Reaction score
This is my Baby but she's all locked down for the winter:

full

Adieu

Reaction score
Early Pre Vietnam Valvestates are just the dogs ! Lucky enough to pick up a mint AVT 150 1x12 combo for £150 a couple of years go and the 1x12 ext cab for £90. Is my gig rig now, just loads of headroom for venues up to 300. Onboard FX + my Dunlop 535Q, 1 guitar. Still heavy though for an old man with a dodgy back :D:D:D Do these new fangled speakers with ceramic magnets really lighten the load? Might look to upgrade to them

You meant NEODYMIUM magnets

Yes, - ~5-7 lbs per speaker... but vs. good ol heavy magged, heavy framed premium-tier Celestions that weigh >10lbs ea (V30, K85/K100, etc.)

...not sure what's in your combo, but it's probably something cheaper and hence more lightweight

Steve Smith

Reaction score
This is my Baby but she's all locked down for the winter:

full
Wow man, you got a Vette!!! I am good with cars but not great with US stuff. Let me have a guess please? 6.0L V8, 400 BHP, stick shift, rear wheel drive, fiberglass body (obviously), late 1990's or early 2000's, 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds. Am I in the ballpark ? :)

Steve Smith

Reaction score
You meant NEODYMIUM magnets

Yes, - ~5-7 lbs per speaker... but vs. good ol heavy magged, heavy framed premium-tier Celestions that weigh >10lbs ea (V30, K85/K100, etc.)

...not sure what's in your combo, but it's probably something cheaper and hence more lightweight

Just a G-12 150. Not sure that 5-7 lbs less would really make that much difference in the grand scheme. My mate swears by them, but he plays bass and his speakers are 15's. Also I have heard that the with the Neo's with guitar valve amps you lose warmth. so jury is out. Will just have to get fitter :) :)

Thanks for the advice Adieu dude :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

anitoli

Reaction score
Wow man, you got a Vette!!! I am good with cars but not great with US stuff. Let me have a guess please? 6.0L V8, 400 BHP, stick shift, rear wheel drive, fiberglass body (obviously), late 1990's or early 2000's, 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds. Am I in the ballpark ? :)
Very close. It's an 05 C6 LS2 6.2L aluminum heads/block. Has a Borla intake mod and Borla stainless headers/exhaust system which pushes it to 460 hp and 480 ft/lbs torque. 6 speed manual. 0-60 approx 3.5 seconds. This car is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Reaction score
Very close. It's an 05 C6 LS2 6.0L aluminum heads/block. Has a Borla intake mod and Borla stainless headers/exhaust system which pushes it to 460 hp and 480 ft/lbs torque. 6 speed manual. 0-60 approx 3.5 seconds. This car is ridiculous.

My 99 XKR is 370 brake and 390 ft/lbs, so not up with your Vette. Also it is 5 speed auto and steel bodied so a lot heavier, but the auto box is fab and kickdown like a beast.

0-60 is 5.2 and the Eaton Supercharger gives it Max Torque at 3.5k revs

I binned the shitty Jag exhaust and got a full stainless cat back system, reduced the back pressure massively. Had the timing chains replaced and a top engine rebuild with the head skimmed. The AJ- V8 is a great block, Aluminium and still has the original Nikasil race spec cylinder linings. Now, using 99 RON Shell V-Power Super unleaded I am getting close to 400 brake and Torque on the dyno.

You ever considered a rear LSD ?

Steve Smith

Reaction score
Very close. It's an 05 C6 LS2 6.0L aluminum heads/block. Has a Borla intake mod and Borla stainless headers/exhaust system which pushes it to 460 hp and 480 ft/lbs torque. 6 speed manual. 0-60 approx 3.5 seconds. This car is ridiculous.

Also because of the motor laws in our stupid bloody country we have to drive around with plates on the front as well as the back. Bah and double bah !!

I had a sticker of my number on the hood and was stopped by a young police officer

"Do you know that you are committing a serious offence with that sticker?"

I thought - "How old are you sonny, you fucking thick plod? My taxes pay your wages you little fucking dimwit, no go out and catch some crims like we pay you for!!"

Instead I just said "oh yes I see. Sorry officer I will drive home immediately and replace it with a legal plate"

anitoli

Reaction score
My 99 XKR is 370 brake and 390 ft/lbs, so not up with your Vette. Also it is 5 speed auto and steel bodied so a lot heavier, but the auto box is fab and kickdown like a beast.

0-60 is 5.2 and the Eaton Supercharger gives it Max Torque at 3.5k revs

I binned the shitty Jag exhaust and got a full stainless cat back system, reduced the back pressure massively. Had the timing chains replaced and a top engine rebuild with the head skimmed. The AJ- V8 is a great block, Aluminium and still has the original Nikasil race spec cylinder linings. Now, using 99 RON Shell V-Power Super unleaded I am getting close to 400 brake and Torque on the dyno.

You ever considered a rear LSD ?
It has a posi rear end yes. Nice Jag. Don't see very many of those around here.