• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Selling Regrets ?

• Thread starter Steve Smith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chamas

Reaction score
My 1959 Marshall stack which was made around 1969 with Celestion G12M 20 watt Pre-Rolas. I made the big mistake of having to sell it for something smaller as I had joined a band cross country and needed something smaller to fit in my car which ended up being a Mesa Boogie MkIII Head and 2 smaller Boogie cabs. They did not sound anything close to my Marshall stack and I long to have that amp again. What I big mistake I made selling the Marshall! The band broke up as soon as I arrived which added salt to the wound.

mojodelic

Reaction score
'65 BF Deluxe Reverb in great condition, to buy a house. Don't have the house or the amp but I did okay. Better house, amp, & wife now.

67mike

Reaction score
My Hiwatt DR 504. With ev loaded cab.....was ripped off by local music shop owner.....I was a dumb kid, made a stupid decision. But, I did get my revenge 25 years later at his going out of business sale, where I made back all my money and more!!!

Reaction score
I regretted trading off my Budda Series 1 superdrive, then about a year later the guy was selling it on craigslist and I was able to get it back.

I do regret selling my 1973 100 watt Marshalls. They just projected POWER.

guitarzan2525

Reaction score
I've sold a few amps (and guitars) that I wish I could have back..

1) 1960 Fender Bassman 4x10 tweed in excellent + condition.
2) 1964 Marshall JTM-45 Silver/Red block logo head.
3) 1964 Vox JMI AC-30TB w/blue speakers.
4) 1968 Fender Stratocaster (Dakota Red on Maple).
5) 1995 Gibson Historic Les Paul which had a '58 style neck profile (One of the most figured LP's ever produced).

Jeremy Acker

Reaction score
Sore subject maybe ... but who has sold an amp that years later wish they had not?

I realise that it is a fiscal thing but not always.

My 2 are...

1976 Fender Twin Silverface in mint condition I bought for £180 in 1980 and sold for 200 quid in 88 to buy drugs (no not really)

1989 first Edition JCM900 100W dual channel head I got almost new from a skint mate for £150 with the proviso that he could buy it back for 200 when he got back on his feet. Was moving into a small 1 bedroom flat at the time and the GF told me that we did not have room for all my music stuff.

Jeremy Acker

Reaction score
1965 Fender Bassman for 250.00 in 2000. I was still green behind the ears about music gear back then, and eBay and Reverb hadn’t permeated the mainstream like it has now. Oh well! I massaged my regret by buying an Allen Old Flame and never looked back. Still have that Old Flame. Amazing and versatile amp!

Reaction score
All items i got rid of, i was happy to get rid of. This is just stuff and you have to be careful or it ends up owning you!
Sold many guitars, but never amps.Still have my first Marshall head which i bought in 85' and then some...my first cab, and added a second one later on. The BIG advantage of Marshall is , you never need a spare! Effects pedals don't make you play better, but a killer amp does :)

Scallywag77

Reaction score
A 70’s JMP 2203 50w head and a 91 SG Junior. That was a great plug and play set up. Sold it because I lost a job and needed cash for adult things like rent and bills. If I could go back in time 20 years……..

eastwood6

Reaction score
I mentioned my regret story about an 800 2204S earlier in the thread. Other regret was selling a Class 5 head. Bought one when they first came out and really enjoyed having it. It was pretty much the first modern low-wattage Marshall and, while it had some flaws, was simply a lot of fun to play.

Fixed that regret this week. Ironically, I’m now again debating whether to keep the 2204S, it’s way more amp than I need and I’m challenged for space in my current living arrangements. Do we never learn from the past?

Well, since this thread was revived… another regrets post about regrets. Since the photo in 2019 did the pandemic trend thing and downsized to a much smaller home. Sold the 2204S head, the Class 5 head, and the 2061x head.

Still have the 3203 full stack (in storage) and the 1974x (not pictured). Regret selling the 2061x. While I struggled with having two EL-84 based Marshalls, the hand wired 2061 was a little gem of an amp - stunning build quality and it sounded huge boosted with my 1965 4x10 cabs.

20 watts is about right for the reality of my electric guitar playing these days. I regret letting that little guy go, especially since they are so hard to find on the used market.

dptone5

Reaction score
Mint 1980 JMP 2204. Had it reworked for EL-34's. Was a great amp, but sold it because it didn't have an FX loop. Now I do all my recording with software and I don't need an amp with a loop to record. Wish I still had that one!!!

Spooky88

Reaction score
Wish I hadn’t sold my peavey 4x12 flight case (scorpions) cab. As far as amplifiers themselves, I’ve never sold one I liked. Still got them all. They take up a lot of space though, need to build a 42x32 foot studio. I’m with the OP on regretting that JCM 900 the early versions with the el34 are pretty versatile with active pickups. Still have mine 😎

Latest posts