Stomp box for Marshally tones

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
What are some of the best and newest boxes for getting Marshally tones using a clean amp?
I wanna experiment with a few pedals. I just bought the new OCD v1.7 and love it. What else we got?
(No Boss pedals please.)

wakjob

Reaction score
OMG.

Vin, there are more than you can imagine. And you'll get all kinds of opinions.

Wampler
Wheebo
Carl Martin
Catalinbread

^
These builders will be up there with the best 'Marshall-in-a-box' pedals.

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
Why no Boss pedals, Boss pedals are used by everybody in some form. Other than that Marshall pedals would probably be your best bet, especially the original Guvnor.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add:

Bogner ecstasy blue

I am not a fan of the OCD's. With a Strat I guess but not my HB'n guitars. I had V4 though.

The new Plexitone Single has been my go to vintage Plexi in a box.

What kind of Marshall tones are you wanting?

Just watched this today...

[ame=http://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=8L2cF_89HdM]Mad Professor 1, demo by Pete Thorn - YouTube[/ame]

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Why no Boss pedals, Boss pedals are used by everybody in some form. Other than that Marshall pedals would probably be your best bet, especially the original Guvnor.

Boss is the sole reason I have hated pedals for decades. Nothing against anyone who enjoys Boss. The Tube Screamer and Boss distortion sounds are ones I need to avoid; they've never served me well. I need something with Marshall aggression. I want to whack an open A chord and hear the sound of Marshall.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score

Bigmuff

Reaction score
I used to have a Home Brew Electronics "Big D" distortion pedal that sounded really Marshally to me. Lots of high mids. I ebayed it a few years ago cuz I just never used it. I'd rather just use the amp's distortion channel.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/HomeBrew-Electronics-Big-D-Distortion/dp/B004OAOPCG]Amazon.com: HomeBrew Electronics Big D Distortion: Musical Instruments[/ame]

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
It's like Nathan, but older. "Hey guys I just bought something new TODAY! What else can I buy!?!?"

Just kidding. <3 u

SwampThing

Reaction score
Boss is the sole reason I have hated pedals for decades. Nothing against anyone who enjoys Boss. The Tube Screamer and Boss distortion sounds are ones I need to avoid; they've never served me well. I need something with Marshall aggression. I want to whack an open A chord and hear the sound of Marshall.

I know you said you hate BOSS but you may wanna give the BOSS Power stack a try. You will hit said A chord and it will ring true like you requested.

SeanMichael

Reaction score
Ive got a marshall JD-1 jackhammer that works very nicely. I got it for fifty bucks on eBay. Its got a wide range of tones, and the option to be overdrive, or distortion. I dont use it very frequently, but it sounds the best through a clean tube amp. Solid state it sounds a tad-bit too digital for my liking.

eastwood6

Reaction score
I know you said you hate BOSS but you may wanna give the BOSS Power stack a try. You will hit said A chord and it will ring true like you requested.

True dat. The Power Stack does a pretty impressive representation of... well, a stack.

mott555

Reaction score
MXR Super Badass Distortion. It sounds very much like a hot-rodded Marshall, and also can sound very much like a certain top-hat wearing guitarist this forum loves to hate.

SeanMichael

Reaction score
MXR Super Badass Distortion. It sounds very much like a hot-rodded Marshall, and also can sound very much like a certain top-hat wearing guitarist this forum loves to hate.

Out of curiosity, why does he get so much hate around here?

His backstory is really interesting, just considering where he comes from and all that. And a very good player on top of that.

Bigmuff

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why does he get so much hate around here?

His backstory is really interesting, just considering where he comes from and all that. And a very good player on top of that.

I don't think it's the man himself. It's more that his playing and tone have somehow been canonized to the point where it's sort of nauseating. And then the backlash began.

And no matter how hard we try, we look like assholes when we rock the hat and leather pants, while he looks completely rockgod. NO FAIR!

back on topic...

Barber Direct Drive sound like a Marshall if you crank it up. Noisy though.

dreyn77

Reaction score
I used to think like you VIN about the boss pedal range, but I don't anymore!

I was just experimenting with the early 90's MXR dist+ and the 1959RR yesturday. I got 2 slightly different sounds by useing different leads connecting the equipment.
I heard that 'brutal' harshness in the trebles we DSL users are familiar with.
Because I had the RR down very low in output power most of what I heard was the pedals influence.
when I turned the amp up the two sounds combined into another sound that is different.

I think it's going to be a tough choice VIN. they are all going to end up sounding like BOSS.
You'll need to find one that is a 800 in a box. (it only has clipping diodes)

Maybe I should be fuzzing the sound at the guitars tone pot (the amps 'bass mids trebles were between 'zero' & '1/4 power')

But I know that's not going to work! Once the signal is 'changed' it never 'goes back' to original type.

But the pedal does do what it's supposed to do and that's turn the big amp right down (to digital levels)
SO, we get back to; 'distortion' is 'fake sound' and the guitars volume knob is the only way of turning the amp down and still keeping the original signal type and therefore, the same tone.

So now you can throw distortion 'out the window' and forget trying to get it!
I.e. distortion is 'not real', therefore, there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

So you do have the answer, it's boss and all the other boss types, named MXR, Wampler etc...