Stomp box for Marshally tones

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoIsbgmfiv0]Wampler Pedals - Pinnacle Distortion, Eddie V.H. example tones... - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeOXLv2F13s]Wampler Pinnacle - YouTube[/ame]

dash8311

Reaction score
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. Also Rah sounds very nice.

Vin,

I had a RAH - it's a good base sound pedal into a super clean amp (Fender). Into a Marshall it won't sound good, overkill even.

SwampThing

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why does he get so much hate around here?

His backstory is really interesting, just considering where he comes from and all that. And a very good player on top of that.

I dont HATE ol' Saul. It's the fact that I would say 80% of first time poster's here ask the same PHOKKING thing-

" How do I get da Slash Tonez?"

We all have the same heroes here but he definitely gets Polarized. Before we proceed do you know what SIR # 34 means? Answer truthfully.

SeanMichael

Reaction score
I dont HATE ol' Saul. It's the fact that I would say 80% of first time poster's here ask the same PHOKKING thing-

" How do I get da Slash Tonez?"

We all have the same heroes here but he definitely gets Polarized. Before we proceed do you know what SIR # 34 means? Answer truthfully.

Honestly, I had no idea. A quick google search revealed it to be a gain mod of some sort. Why do you ask?

And I mean, his tone is alright, but not really something I would go crazy trying to replicate.

SwampThing

Reaction score
Honestly, I had no idea. A quick google search revealed it to be a gain mod of some sort. Why do you ask?

And I mean, his tone is alright, but not really something I would go crazy trying to replicate.[/Q

OK you had to google it. You're good to go.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
MXR Super Badass Distortion. It sounds very much like a hot-rodded Marshall, and also can sound very much like a certain top-hat wearing guitarist this forum loves to hate.

Ew, no! I'll give mine to Vin for free if he'll take it out back and bury it beside his old dead cat. Been trying to get rid of it for damn near ever. It's horrible.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Lots of good advices!

I do like my OCD, I had one a couple years ago but after I let someone borrow it and... well, you know how that goes. I'm searching around Musician's Friend and then watching some YouTube vids. This might be a contender, but man! there's so many pedals out there:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak04rprs-mQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak04rprs-mQ[/ame]

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
When I bought the OCD I also picked up a Fulltone Plimsoul. I hate the Plimsoul and it's going back. To me it's just another take on the Tube Screamer, which I never liked: I don't like smooth distortion, and my research seems to indicate that I prefer the "asymmetrical" type distortion. I had the Fulldrive way back which was cool for the Boost feature, but again, it's just another glorified Tube Screamer to me: too smooth.

John 14:6

Reaction score
The CMATMODS Brownie pedal. I think it sells for $135.00. It is built like a tank and sounds incredible.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIXNQgVo8Mg"]CMATMODS BROWNIE Distortion - DEMO - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyrqVBApegA"]Wampler Pinnacle vs Cmatmods Brownie - shootout - YouTube[/ame]

CMAT pedals - BROWNIE - Boutique tone in guitar pedals

mott555

Reaction score
Ew, no! I'll give mine to Vin for free if he'll take it out back and bury it beside his old dead cat. Been trying to get rid of it for damn near ever. It's horrible.

I don't think this pedal has been out for ever, I thought it was released mid-2013?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

mott555

Reaction score
Also if you're going to get all your dirt from a pedal and leave the amp totally clean, a slight reverb does wonders. I think both the TS-9 and SD-1 sound pretty blah on their own, but when I put my RV-5 right after the overdrive and added a bit of room reverb it sounded much smoother and compressed than it actually was. I haven't tried with other OD or distortion pedals, but I bet it helps them too.

SwampThing

Reaction score
When I bought the OCD I also picked up a Fulltone Plimsoul. I hate the Plimsoul and it's going back. To me it's just another take on the Tube Screamer, which I never liked: I don't like smooth distortion, and my research seems to indicate that I prefer the "asymmetrical" type distortion. I had the Fulldrive way back which was cool for the Boost feature, but again, it's just another glorified Tube Screamer to me: too smooth.

I'm confused are you looking for OD or Distortion?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advices!

I do like my OCD, I had one a couple years ago but after I let someone borrow it and... well, you know how that goes. I'm searching around Musician's Friend and then watching some YouTube vids. This might be a contender, but man! there's so many pedals out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak04rprs-mQ

The Plextortion is a sick pedal too … whereas the Pinnacle is his take on a 1959, the Plextortion is his take on a JCM800 (yes, the plextortion is a bit mislabeled … the pinnacle is more of a 'plexi'). I have a preference for the Pinnacle as it is better suited to cover the 60's / 70's / 80's (it's wonderful for edge of breakup blues and classic rock as well as the EVH brown sound and beyond), but if you're looking for straight up JCM800 rock tones, you won't find anything better than the Plextortion. The day I bought my Pinnacle, I spent some time with both pedals at the store … I wound up taking home the Pinnacle (and liked it so much w/my own rig that i went back the next day and bought a second one to stick in the closet as a backup to avert a worst case scenario in the future … yes, it's that good … best pedal i've ever owned). There is quite literally nothing I dislike about it.

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
Cheap n cheerful option; Digitech Screamin Blues.

I carry one in my box as a backup because it sounds so close to my DSL401.

With the 401 on green channel & the SB in front, I can dial in the SB to the point where yellow particularly is (virtually) indistinguishable from the real thing.