The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
No, I mean C91 according to this post.

So here's the list:
C4 removed
C5 to .001uF
C19 to 180pF
C50, 51, 54 to Mallory 150 22nF 630V
C10,25,29,47,55,60 to Mojotone Dijion 47nF 630V
C2,3,18,24,91 to Mallory 150 47nF 630V

I did these mods to mine. I cant remember for sure but C19 may be on the input jack board??? I think that is the one I had a heard time finding because its not on the main board.

Woody_in_MN

Reaction score
Many new members put a post in the Introduce Yourself section where they take a moment to tell everyone about themselves and the music they play.

I am an infrequent poster, but yes. I'll do an intro over there.

A quick 2 cents, I find that on triode mode, the dsl 40 is very useable at home volumes. A truly great amp.

newplayeroldguy

Reaction score
dumb question here-I'm picking up a compressor pedal, where do I want to put it in the signal chain, upfront or in the FX loop? I will use no other pedals in the foreseeable future

mojorising

Reaction score
C91 is on the input board, I didn't think to look there. Thanks for the input…no pun intended…lol

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
dumb question here-I'm picking up a compressor pedal, where do I want to put it in the signal chain, upfront or in the FX loop? I will use no other pedals in the foreseeable future

A compressor should really go up front but try it in the loop for kicks and see. You never know what you might like.

HAmmer

Reaction score
:slash:

Not a Dumb question but there's no right answer, just do it to whatever sounds best to you
Let us know how it sounds

markm

Reaction score
Hey all
My DSL40C has been running great for months and just last light I started getting a loud static noise on my red channel . It's only audible when I'm not playing. Loud enough to be bothersome between songs and just worry some overall.

What should I try first ?

I'm not very technical and I have a gig this week!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Like most tube amps, try swapping your tubes out.
Put in your spare set one-at-a-time and see if it makes any difference.

markm

Reaction score
Thanks!
I swapped out the first one and it got rid if the static . The one that had the rubber ring on it.
Still kind of a loud hum , but much more manageable for now.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
I swapped out the first one and it got rid if the static . The one that had the rubber ring on it.
Still kind of a loud hum , but much more manageable for now.

That is V1.
Many people use a TAD 7025WA in that position.
It is possibly the quietest, most lo-noise preamp tube available.

markm

Reaction score
That is V1.
Many people use a TAD 7025WA in that position.
It is possibly the quietest, most lo-noise preamp tube available.

Thanks again! Such a relief with a gig this Friday.

I put in a JJ EHXECC83. Not sure what other effects this one may have?

Sounds fine and the hum is really no bother especially since I have the gain on 8 as it is.

jep1210

Reaction score
In route! End of day Tuesday.....gonna be a long weekend. Lol

Anyone find covers for these yet?

I'm new and just found this forum a couple of days ago. I just got my DSL40C two weeks ago, loving it BTW. I'm loving this thread too, very informative. Still going through the many pages of this post (I'm only on page 11 now) so if this is old news my apologies. I ordered one of these covers for mine, still waiting for it to show up so I can't comment on it yet. The DSL40C cover is $50. Custom Amp Covers - Marshall

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm new and just found this forum a couple of days ago. I just got my DSL40C two weeks ago, loving it BTW. I'm loving this thread, very informative. Still going through the many pages of this post (I'm only on page 11 now) so if this is old news my apologies. I ordered one of these covers for mine, still waiting for it to show up so I can't comment on it yet. The DSL40C cover is $50. Custom Amp Covers - Marshall

Yeah, this is a big thread and kinda unmanageable.
I created a basic index a few pages ago, but no one seems to know how to insert it at the beginning or make some sort of sticky about it...

Many new members put a post in the Introduce Yourself section where they can take a moment to tell us all about themselves and what kind of gear they use and the music they play. Good to have you here!

ken361

Reaction score
Got to play Soldano SLO yesterday at ĞC through a Orange 412! Pretty sweet gain monster!loud as hell I could see with the huge transformers:)

jep1210

Reaction score
Pretty damn good clip of the 100 right here....kid can play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9jHt6ml_E

This right here is the tone I'd love to get. I know he's playing into a 100H through a Cabinet but can any of the modification mentioned (or not mentioned) get this sound from the 40C without pedals. I'm not apposed to pedals, just wondering if I should stop wasting my efforts. I will mention again I AM only on page 16 of this thread so forgive me if this is answered some where in 130 pages I still have to go? :naughty:

jep1210

Reaction score
Yeah, this is a big thread and kinda unmanageable.
I created a basic index a few pages ago, but no one seems to know how to insert it at the beginning or make some sort of sticky about it...

Many new members put a post in the Introduce Yourself section where they can take a moment to tell us all about themselves and what kind of gear they use and the music they play. Good to have you here!

Yeah, my apologize. I have a bad habit of skipping that introduction step on forums I join...not really good at chatting myself up :D

I did see your index :yesway: and will be referring to that in the future :cool:

Last edited: