What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

• Thread starter tallcoolone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bordonbert

Reaction score
Won't be popular but with my 2210 I always have a Blackstar Dual HT in front which can really tighten up the sound nicely without descending into dog rough metal tones. Plus, I waver between a good old Marshall BB2, (to me a diode clipper is a diode clipper pretty much), and my own SRPP design similar to the Muamp Okko Diablo, (with the Diablo's internet circuitry error corrected)! All different and all nice if used subtly for the classic 70s/80s rock I play.

groovenev

Reaction score
Won't be popular but with my 2210 I always have a Blackstar Dual HT in front which can really tighten up the sound nicely without descending into dog rough metal tones. Plus, I waver between a good old Marshall BB2, (to me a diode clipper is a diode clipper pretty much), and my own SRPP design similar to the Muamp Okko Diablo, (with the Diablo's internet circuitry error corrected)! All different and all nice if used subtly for the classic 70s/80s rock I play.

bordonbert

Reaction score
Sorry Groovenev, I'm not seeing anything in your post except what I wrote. Am I missing something?

tallcoolone

Reaction score
OP here—I tried a bunch more ODs over the past month and settled on the Archer Rockaway as my go to. The 6 band eq is absolutely awesome. I also like the Angry Driver for wide range of great options and the Nux Rattler is a lot of fun for over the top Rat slash fuzz madness. Chase Secret Preamp is a bit noisy but still is usually always on if I’m playing a Marshall—it’s really like it was made for them.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
This is a triple circuit beast with a Friedman Buxum boost , Modified Klon OD , and Cleanish booster for good measure . It's still not wired yet ... on my list of things to get done soon . I built it for myself supposedly lol ...
I'm still not sure what knob looks good on this pedal also ...

20190818_232836

20190909_031117

dragonvalve

Reaction score
ldgpakuhiqjlmxvqiigm.jpg

jwoods986

Reaction score
I'm really hankering after some new sounds. Been thinking of taking the plunge on an Earthquaker Devices plumes, which seems like a Modded TS style OD but with different clipping options. Though I've been a cheap and cheerful pedal-guy in recent years and debate whether £110 is worth dropping on it when i could probably snag a TS style clone on eBay for £20-30.

I just got a Behringer TO800 ($24 US) recently and it's a great TS clone for cheap!

JeepO'Caster

Reaction score
Timmy, Archer Klone, POB Zentastik(Dumble), TDrive, Superlead Plexidrive, with a couple delays, EHX Worm, and a Shaky JimiVibe/chorus in the loop

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Well, despite my earlier post about the Source Audio L.A. Lady, I went for a 2nd hand BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver (one half of the Angry Driver).
I have been thinking of setting up a simple pedalboard and am collecting a wish-list of 2nd hand pedals as they come into my LGS. May have them all by this time next year!

Jeff Hudson

Reaction score
Thought about this when reading the Tubescreamer thread...I love dirt boxes in front of all—but especially Marshall amps. Bought and sold dozens and dozens of them and I think still have at least a dozen lying around. Love to hear experiences of others...here is what I have at the moment

Maxon OD820—honeymoon period but I love this guy. Like the TS9 but more treble, more headroom...just BIGGER. Also physically larger so keep in mind
Timmy—love this, got replaced by the new Maxon OD820 but will be back. The original ‘transparent’ od
TS9–benchmark mid hump od best run low in front of an already overdriven amp
Secret Preamp—my ‘always on’ pedal at the end of the board. Not really an od, more of a compressor? I dunno—try one out, you’ll thank me.
SoloDallas Storm—like the SP, more of a compressor/boost than an OD but where the SP is subtle the Storm is like a cock punch. Tons of boost on tap and something else that changes your tone more drastically than the SP.
Archer Ikon—best ‘Klone’/Klon Cline I’ve tried. Pretty unique—not a ton of boost but I really liked it run like a TS—low gain, tone up. Great in front of my SC20 when it’s breathing a bit
Naga Viper treble booster—Rangemaster circuit apparently? Sounds ‘Sabbath-y’ to me in front of my Marshalls. I like a lot of high end to my tone and this is lacking a bit in that Dept
Tone Job EQ/booster—replaced the Detox as my ‘clean channel’ pedal. Set low it works just like your guitar volume the way it cleans up your tone. But better and actually tweakable
OCD—if I were going to a gig not knowing what I was going to have as a backline I’d bring the OCD. At home in front of anything really—played a hard rock gig once with a 100w Hiwatt in a small room and only an OCD and a wah
Keeley modified Blues Driver, MXR Prime Distortion, MXR Gibbons fuzz. Also in front, Cry Baby with Feasel inductor and MXR Dyna Comp.