YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ealdst

Reaction score
My first post in ages (I'm rubbish at this forum malarkey, always wind up just reading and never responding) - so to start off a belated congrats to Holme for little Holme.

Secondly, after nearly a year with this amp I have noticed it has changed the way I set my gear up without me even noticing. I always used to set amps up to just before the point of breakup and then kick in a Maxon OD-808 overdrive when I wanted a dirty tone - always sounded good but meant that I had nowhere to go for solos (Nigel Tufnell was right - needed an 11 on the amp!). With this amp I've got it set to a nice crunch that really breaks up when you dig in hard, and have now only started kicking in the OD when I need that extra boost. Only problem is I can't get used to rolling off the volume to get a more clean tone, I have enough to think about with coordinating my hands enough to play at a remotely decent competency - especially as the YJM doesn't appreciate my sloppy technique one bit! Might have to get an ABY pedal and use my Vox AC15 for clean stuff!

duncan11

Reaction score
The weird thing I noticed last nite is, with my Page #1, if I'm on the boost, I have to turn that guitar vol to literally like 0.023 in order to get a 'clean' tone if I'm on the boost channel. It's better if you come off it and just run the normal amp if you want clean. I think I'm gonna get an EP boost pedal for the YJM, the Page #1 while powerful sounding is missing something underneath. It sounds killer but could use a teeny tiny bit of fattening up just a hair, as it is a bit trebbly. probably due to the AIII pickups. Sandy had AIII pickups and they were very bright. The Page ones are not as bright but more so than standard BB/Custom buckers.

Redstone

Reaction score
I took this from the AFD100 manual. I remember seeing it there when I was choosing between the AFD and YJM. I think they should have included this in the YJM manual, then again it may be a little different. Also this is for the 100watt mode.
T7HMOtn.jpg

db3266

Reaction score
I have the EPA at just past 9 o'clock. Those settings make sense to me.
But sadly highlights that I have spent a ton of cash on a 1W amp !!
The YJM sounds way better than the JTM1 that I had :thumb:

duncan11

Reaction score
I have the EPA at just past 9 o'clock. Those settings make sense to me.
But sadly highlights that I have spent a ton of cash on a 1W amp !!
The YJM sounds way better than the JTM1 that I had :thumb:

Yup, I have to get mine in the 10oclock position, much to the dismay of the people in the house but, even they remark how from the other room how good my guitar sound :D

When I gigged with it, I had it around 1-2oclock and it sounded totally different, but in a better way. Any more and I'd be drowning out the drums/bass I usually run my AFD around the 1 w area too, but have dabbled with it past noon position. Strangely it doesn't alter the tone THAT much imho, slightly yes. There is a noticeably difference in the YJM though. I have another gig coming up in May, I'll probably use the YJM again but I may have to run it with a 2x12 cab this time.

duncan11

Reaction score
that's hilarious that i spent that amount of money on a 9-12 watt amp.

or sad.

oh well, my nuts routinely get rocked off. lolz

I get that it's funny too, but the way I look at it is, you have the headroom to spare IF you need it, and even if you had a 10watt amp, you'd have to dime it to get the tone, and the moment you back off your tone goes bye bye. With this and the AFD, the 10 watter becomes 2 or 1 with very little sacrifice in raw tone. As I've said it was the EPA that sold me on the YJM since I love it with the AFD as having that first.

Goatroper

Reaction score
that's hilarious that i spent that amount of money on a 9-12 watt amp.

or sad.

oh well, my nuts routinely get rocked off. lolz

They way I look at it, its like buying a new vette. Docile enough for everyday use but the big time power is there if you need it.

A side note, earlier I posted I didnt like the sound of my new YJM. It was due to bad power tubes. It was fixed under warranty and it sounds great!

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
Anybody on here, who runs his YJM through a 1960A cab with Celestion GT1275 speakers (standard)? It was the first cab I've ever tried the YJM with and I think it sounded pretty good too. I'am also thinking about getting this one as far as I have to pay my drivers license and the 1960AHW might be too expensive for now. Do you think it will sound awesome with the 1960A too (classic Rock)? And remember, Yngwie uses 'em in his cabs too! :D

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody on here, who runs his YJM through a 1960A cab with Celestion GT1275 speakers (standard)? It was the first cab I've ever tried the YJM with and I think it sounded pretty good too. I'am also thinking about getting this one as far as I have to pay my drivers license and the 1960AHW might be too expensive for now. Do you think it will sound awesome with the 1960A too (classic Rock)? And remember, Yngwie uses 'em in his cabs too! :D

The good thing with the YJM is it's not restricted to one cab-i've heard people say it sounds great with all of 'em over the years!
Just depends on how you EQ it but i'm sure it'll be fine!

Besides it's mainly ladyboys that play the 1960AHW - REAL MEN use the 1960AX!

:lol::lol::lol:

:p

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
The good thing with the YJM is it's not restricted to one cab-i've heard people say it sounds great with all of 'em over the years!
Just depends on how you EQ it but i'm sure it'll be fine!

Besides it's mainly ladyboys that play the 1960AHW - REAL MEN use the 1960AX!

:p

Haha, that made me laugh like hell! :applause: Anyway, I'll just tell you the amp settings I'am using. They're the same as Rickey Medlocke from Lynyrd Skynyrd uses. Pretty straight forward actually.

Presence: 6
Bass: 4
Middle: 6
Treble: 4-5
Vol I: 10
Vol II: 6-7

:thumb:

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
So, do you think that the 1960A will fit to those settings? Just listen to Skynyrd's new album "Last Of A Dyin' Breed" and you know the tone, that I'am seeking :-D

Btw, I will get my hands on a 1960AX or AHW if I can find a used one in good condition, which is not THAT expensive :slash:

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
So, do you think that the 1960A will fit to those settings? Just listen to Skynyrd's new album "Last Of A Dyin' Breed" and you know the tone, that I'am seeking :-D

Btw, I will get my hands on a 1960AX or AHW if I can find a used one in good condition, which is not THAT expensive :slash:

You may have to play around with your EQ a bit but I reckon you'll get there!

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Btw, are you usin' a regular AX or the Yngwie Signature cab? :D

Funny story actually!
I saw the Yngwie cab at Andertons for 500 & thought it was a normal AX!
So i told JB's i would only buy my YJM from them if they price matched it!:eek:
Which they did!:D
So i got it 120 pounds cheaper by an accidental fib!

Ahhh the innocence of youth!

:naughty:

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
Funny story actually!
I saw the Yngwie cab at Andertons for 500 & thought it was a normal AX!
So i told JB's i would only buy my YJM from them if they price matched it!:eek:
Which they did!:D
So i got it 120 pounds cheaper by an accidental fib!

Ahhh the innocence of youth!

:naughty:

Now that's awesome! How do you like the speakers in it? Can you get some awesome classic rock tones? :band:

:cheers:

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that's awesome! How do you like the speakers in it? Can you get some awesome classic rock tones? :band:

:cheers:

They're great & kinda have a powerful 'snap' to them!
They tend to be the Marshall match for the YJM/Plexi's or at least what i've seen from their demo's at least!
Only thing to take note is you can't run the YJM full volume in 100 watt mode with just one AX cab!