YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

duncan11

Reaction score
Sorry guys, but this is the real shit:
-- ORION Effekte ---- Guitar Effects :: Elektro Booster

:headbanger: :thumb:
Got one today. 35 staggering db of high quality clean boost. Makes everything else feel and sound like a toy. :naughty:

Orion Effekte - Elektro Booster (gain booster made in germany) - YouTube

35 db of boost? that seems a bit much. IIRC the AFD's loop has a +20db boost, but even with that, I leave the loop 'on' and select/de-select FX as needed. For shits and grins I stuck the EP in front of the AFD and it was way too much boost, even turning my loop on the AFD off it was still too much. For the love of god don't put it on the #34 channel, it makes it even more brash, even after you tweak #34 to sound good. IMHO the EP booster works best with lower gain type amps, anything on a high gain type it starts to be a bit much.

FennRx

Reaction score
finally hooked up the new pedals and took them out for a test spin.

i put the Danelectro EQ in the loop. Turns out I don't really need an EQ adjustment with the YJM- the amp pots and the guitar controls work just fine. However, the EQ works great as a volume boost. I just left the frequencies flat but pushed the volume up just a little bit.

The EP Booster definitely seems to work on the less is more principle (for me), but it does exactly what I wanted it to do. My issue was my Strat's inability to produce the same volume/gain as my Les Paul due to the single coils; I'm more of a set it and forget it type guy. My goal was to have a boost that could give me about the same output without coloring the sound too much.

Mission accomplished.:thumb:

I found the perfect spot for the EP is at about 11:00 or noon- any less and I don't get the output, any more and the gain is too much. So how does this all work? I have the Strat straight in for cleaner sounds, the EP Booster for crunchy rhythms and leads, the Bad Monkey to make fat 80s style sounds and the Danelectro EQ as a volume boost when/if needed.

As for using the boost with a Les Paul? I don't like it as much as I thought I would. I definitely don't like the EP set above 11:00. And I only like it when used on solo/lead stuff- not much of a fan for rhythm stuff.

Now keep in mind this is all from the first hour of messing around. My opinion could change tomorrow.:thumb:

duncan11

Reaction score
finally hooked up the new pedals and took them out for a test spin.

i put the Danelectro EQ in the loop. Turns out I don't really need an EQ adjustment with the YJM- the amp pots and the guitar controls work just fine. However, the EQ works great as a volume boost. I just left the frequencies flat but pushed the volume up just a little bit.

The EP Booster definitely seems to work on the less is more principle (for me), but it does exactly what I wanted it to do. My issue was my Strat's inability to produce the same volume/gain as my Les Paul due to the single coils; I'm more of a set it and forget it type guy. My goal was to have a boost that could give me about the same output without coloring the sound too much.

Mission accomplished.:thumb:

I found the perfect spot for the EP is at about 11:00 or noon- any less and I don't get the output, any more and the gain is too much. So how does this all work? I have the Strat straight in for cleaner sounds, the EP Booster for crunchy rhythms and leads, the Bad Monkey to make fat 80s style sounds and the Danelectro EQ as a volume boost when/if needed.

As for using the boost with a Les Paul? I don't like it as much as I thought I would. I definitely don't like the EP set above 11:00. And I only like it when used on solo/lead stuff- not much of a fan for rhythm stuff.

Now keep in mind this is all from the first hour of messing around. My opinion could change tomorrow.:thumb:

That's generally where mine is. What kind of LP do you have? Maybe it's your pu's in it? Mine works great for rhythm/riffing and soloing, it's all there.

FennRx

Reaction score
I would think those would be better than my BB1 and BB3 that are in Goldie that I use the EP with.

different strokes for different folks i suppose:thumb:

i wanted the boost for the Strat, so mission accomplished. :dude:

duncan11

Reaction score
different strokes for different folks i suppose:thumb:

i wanted the boost for the Strat, so mission accomplished. :dude:

I need to change the stock pU's in my strat, as even the EP can'thelp those shitty stock output pu's. Thinking of getting the EJ kit and drop it all in.

FennRx

Reaction score
my strat is a 2011 American Std. I replaced the bridge with a SD Lil 59 and I really like it. It's thicker than a single coil, but retains the Strat-ness. And it sounds great with the EP.

duncan11

Reaction score
my strat is a 2011 American Std. I replaced the bridge with a SD Lil 59 and I really like it. It's thicker than a single coil, but retains the Strat-ness. And it sounds great with the EP.

My 96 MIM strat had a lil 59 in it. that was a decent pu. I preferred that pu over the duncan hot rails I had in my 91 AMSTD, which was way too much output, no tone.

Tis a shame really, the vintage 58 strat I played sounded better than a DEAD MINT 57 (still with the case tags) but seller didn't want to deal. It had ALL the trademark strat quack at any volume and the neck pu was dynamite when full up. I will not pay their jacked up price for it though as it had verified issues that could easily adjust the price down to normality. I would have loved to run that 58 thru a YJM but unless I lugged it out there, no way.

Redstone

Reaction score
I'd love an EP booster, but I don't really want the Volume (dB) boost that comes with it :(

dash8311

Reaction score
Damn it, now I want one.

On an unrelated note, I think I'm going to hide out in this thread for a while, seems the forum is on fire in the Backstage and I haven't been here long enough to weigh in! :)

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
Everybody seems to have an EP Boost on here now! I heard them in duncan's videos and they definitley sound awesome! I feel GAS comin' up!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I find the built in boost to be "ok", but I always have to re-tweak everything when it's engaged, due to it thinning out the tone (increase Bass, turn Vol. II up...). Does anyone find this to be true with any of the other pedals/boosts?

Last edited:

Odin69

Reaction score
I was cleaning up my amps the other day and, tried the YJM with my Mesa 4x12 cab with V-30's. It sounded good but, I still prefer the Greenbacks with the YJM.

Latest posts