YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dash8311

Reaction score
I was cleaning up my amps the other day and, tried the YJM with my Mesa 4x12 cab with V-30's. It sounded good but, I still prefer the Greenbacks with the YJM.

The 1960BAHW with the G12H30 Heritage speakers are also worth a try! :wave:

drivers1

Reaction score
Does anybody know the part number for the marshall yjm100 standby bulb?
mine blew and i want to replace it? Also has anybody actually replaced their stanby bulb, i'm curious because i looked inside the chassis and looked at it and im not sure how the bulb actually separates....ie: are their locking tabs or something i need to press in or something like that??? "here's a picture of it"

bulb6x4.jpg

see the picture for reference

Argon66

Reaction score
I find the built in boost to be "ok", but I always have to re-tweak everything when it's engaged, due to it thinning out the tone (increase Bass, turn Vol. II up...). Does anyone find this to be true with any of the other pedals/boosts?

I am using the Timmy as boost...I find it hits the YJM just right to really thicken things up without loosing the natural tone of the amp. Its pretty much an always on pedal for me right now...unless I go for cleans. I believe it was made for a plexi...and it does the job super well! The only guys that have not been impressed with it are Fender guys.

To really push the amp harder, i kick in my OCD on the LP setting (at 18V). Its the most neutral set up for that pedal too.

Between the two I can get a thick crunch or a soaring lead tone.

Im pretty happy with this set up for sure but have not tried the EP.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I am using the Timmy as boost...I find it hits the YJM just right to really thicken things up without loosing the natural tone of the amp. Its pretty much an always on pedal for me right now...unless I go for cleans. I believe it was made for a plexi...and it does the job super well! The only guys that have not been impressed with it are Fender guys.

To really push the amp harder, i kick in my OCD on the LP setting (at 18V). Its the most neutral set up for that pedal too.

Between the two I can get a thick crunch or a soaring lead tone.

Im pretty happy with this set up for sure but have not tried the EP.

Thanks, how would you compare using the OCD only to using the Timmy only? I am very tempted to do a "minor" mod to the on board boost in order to retain a bit more mids and low end when engaged (easily reversable, of course).

drivers1

Reaction score
Marshall YJM100 -"standby lamp"does anyone know how the bulb actually comes out, does it have tabs or something i need to press in to get the bulb?
i'm asking before i man handle it.

see the picture...bulb6x4.jpg

Argon66

Reaction score
Thanks, how would you compare using the OCD only to using the Timmy only? I am very tempted to do a "minor" mod to the on board boost in order to retain a bit more mids and low end when engaged (easily reversable, of course).

The OCD by itself is excellent too.

I was using the OCD alone before I got the Timmy. I just hit it for a lead boost.

Having both the Timmy and OCD have given me more flexibility...clean (roll back guitar vol), crunch (guitar vol max), fatter crunch (Timmy), Lead (OCD alone or stacked with Timmy)

For lead, I find the OCD better. More gain and cuts better. Timmy is more of a nice fat boost for crunch.

My 2 cents. Does this help?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Does anybody know the part number for the marshall yjm100 standby bulb?
mine blew and i want to replace it? Also has anybody actually replaced their stanby bulb, i'm curious because i looked inside the chassis and looked at it and im not sure how the bulb actually separates....ie: are their locking tabs or something i need to press in or something like that??? "here's a picture of it"

View attachment 13756

see the picture for reference

I'm not sure the bulb is replaceable. You may need to buy the whole lamp assembly, but I'm not certain. Do you see any markings on the lamp housing?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
The OCD by itself is excellent too.

I was using the OCD alone before I got the Timmy. I just hit it for a lead boost.

Having both the Timmy and OCD have given me more flexibility...clean (roll back guitar vol), crunch (guitar vol max), fatter crunch (Timmy), Lead (OCD alone or stacked with Timmy)

For lead, I find the OCD better. More gain and cuts better. Timmy is more of a nice fat boost for crunch.

My 2 cents. Does this help?

Yeah, thanks, It's good information. If I ever purchase an outboard boost, I'd prefer just to buy one and be done. The thought of buying a pedal does still but me a little, since the amp has a built in boost already. I'll probably explore getting more out of the built in boost first.

Argon66

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks, It's good information. If I ever purchase an outboard boost, I'd prefer just to buy one and be done. The thought of buying a pedal does still but me a little, since the amp has a built in boost already. I'll probably explore getting more out of the built in boost first.

You are way smarter then me :( to be able to tweak or mod the internal boost.

Lets us know how you make out and how you did it. Ideally it would be perfect to use what is already inside.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
You are way smarter then me :( to be able to tweak or mod the internal boost.

Lets us know how you make out and how you did it. Ideally it would be perfect to use what is already inside.

Not smarter at all, but I do work with electronics. I am hesitant to mod a limited edition amp, unless I can do it without altering the amp in any significant way. My plan, if I did pursue it, would be to replace one of the pots on the front (or rear) panel with a combo pot/push-pull switch. The switch, when engaged (pulled) would alter the value of one or more of the boost circuit components, changing the "character" of the boost. All just thoughts at the moment.

db3266

Reaction score
My YJM100 is going to be for sale some time in the next three weeks. PM me if you are interested in buying it.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
My YJM100 is going to be for sale some time in the next three weeks. PM me if you are interested in buying it.

Snap some good photos, and toss it in the classifieds section ... it shouldn't take long for you to move it!

Redstone

Reaction score
r5igA5a.jpg

db3266

Reaction score
Lol very funny!!!

I'm going old school and getting a Fender Bassman 4x10 LTD.
Fuller, rounder and warmer tone than the YJM. I will be putting the London Power scaling kit on it so it will be just as useable at home as the YJM.

Ther is no denying the YJM is a seriously awesome amp, but I only need one amp and the vintage Fender tone is what I need.

FennRx

Reaction score
werent you on the fence with the YJM and a JTM45?

I told you to get the JTM45 or you wouldnt be happy. :)

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
Lol very funny!!!

I'm going old school and getting a Fender Bassman 4x10 LTD.
Fuller, rounder and warmer tone than the YJM. I will be putting the London Power scaling kit on it so it will be just as useable at home as the YJM.

Ther is no denying the YJM is a seriously awesome amp, but I only need one amp and the vintage Fender tone is what I need.

Why would you ever sell a YJM? :erk:

I have to tell you that I ****in' hate Fender amps (except the Hot Rod Deluxe). Overdrive usually sucks on Fender amps, you'll need a good overdrive pedal for it. If I were you, I'd definitley get a JTM45 as this is a much better sounding amp than any Fender Bassman. But always remember: When playing a YJM, people will be like that:
:minions:

and you can be like that :shred:

Gotta love the smilies! Anyway, hope you find the amp that works fine for you!

:thumb:

Latest posts