YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
My YJM sounds killer when paired with my JCM1 when they are both plugged into 1 cab.

2203=100watt
2204=50watt
2205= 2 channels I think (I don't know much about them)
2210= either a 10w or 50w version of the 2205.
The one with the bigger number is usually the lower wattage. The 2203/2204 or 1959/1987 is a good example.

Marshall are damn confusing with all their names. If the YJM existed back in the 70's, it would probably be called something like "Marshall Jmp100/50 1959/1987 Plexi" since its 100/50 watts.

The VM is a great amp, but just not for me. I prefer a pure old vintage tone and I just wasn't able to get the tone I wanted out of my VM.

Thanks.:yesway: That clears it up big time.;) I'm starting to get familiar with all the models. I used to own a Marshall for almost 16 years until I traded it up for my Twin-Reverb in 2006. It was a ValveState 80V (80 Watts of power!) combo. I sure miss that amplifier.:( It was my main gigging amp for years and it had the sound. I'll never forget that lovely burning Marshall smell when I first got that amp and plugged it in.:wub2: I'm brushing up on my Marshall terminology since joining this forum and since I'm on my way to owning a TSL100 head, it will be good to have a Marshall back in my amplifier collection. I like all the different models, especially Plexi's. I guess the VM is a good amp, but it's just too sharp and I prefer much more the warm vintage tone as you mentioned.

Mat_P

Reaction score
I think it would look nice next to my YJM if I fixed up the cab and got a new logo for the head. I could turn my YJM into a full stack too!

Go for the 2203, forget the cab!
I'm currently running a '78 JMP2203 for riffing and the YJM for soloing with a switcher over a single 1960AHW and it's just killer!

Redstone

Reaction score
Go for the 2203, forget the cab!
I'm currently running a '78 JMP2203 for riffing and the YJM for soloing with a switcher over a single 1960AHW and it's just killer!

The guy wont sell it without the cab unfortunately. I think he is pretty much giving the cab away for free with the amp.

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
I think I've just gotten lucky. I just found an 80/81 Marshall jmp 2203 and B cab with greenback, both for €700. I've been looking at an identical 1980 jmp 2203 for €1200. The 2203 is my next favorite amp next to the 1959. Its been for sale for 3 months and nobody has offered him any cash for it, just trades (This is always the case. I was offered like 20 trades for my VM) So I might even be able to snag it for €600. The head is missing the logo, but that seems to be all. The Cab is in crap :lol: The guy tore up the grill cloth os he decided to paint it white. Anyone know anybody on the forum that knows about these particular amps? Here she is!

fb2XND9.png

3zPdp16.png

94sw7Hk.png

I think it would look nice next to my YJM if I fixed up the cab and got a new logo for the head. I could turn my YJM into a full stack too!

Great sounding amp. Hope you get that one as well. I think, it'll look awesome on top of your YJM! :hbang:

duncan11

Reaction score
I think I've just gotten lucky. I just found an 80/81 Marshall jmp 2203 and B cab with greenback, both for €700. I've been looking at an identical 1980 jmp 2203 for €1200. The 2203 is my next favorite amp next to the 1959. Its been for sale for 3 months and nobody has offered him any cash for it, just trades (This is always the case. I was offered like 20 trades for my VM) So I might even be able to snag it for €600. The head is missing the logo, but that seems to be all. The Cab is in crap :lol: The guy tore up the grill cloth os he decided to paint it white. Anyone know anybody on the forum that knows about these particular amps? Here she is!

fb2XND9.png

3zPdp16.png

94sw7Hk.png

Nice score!!

The YJM has spoiled me so much that if I go to a music store to try a guitar out, I don't get the full sonic capability of the guitar when I'm forced to run thru meager wana be plexi types. I've played some high end boutique amps that don't even sound half as good and are double the YJM (at the time I got mine) price.

Redstone

Reaction score
This thing is really temping me. I'm even considering offering my JCM1C and Bad Monkey to the guy, but I dunno if he will do that or not. I'll lose the portability of the JCM1 but I'll gain a pretty sweet amp and the set of speakers I wanted in the first place. I got the JCM so I'd have something small and good sounding for college this year or next, but I think I could sacrifice some room space for a halfstack. All that said, it depends on what the guy says. Major problem is that I don't have the money for it at the moment since I bought the LP a few weeks ago and just bought something else the other day. I'd ask my parents if I could borrow money, but I hate asking them for money for personal "luxury" items like amps/gear, especially since I'll be going to college this year or next year. Time to get searching for ideas I guess.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
This thing is really temping me. I'm even considering offering my JCM1C and Bad Monkey to the guy, but I dunno if he will do that or not. I'll lose the portability of the JCM1 but I'll gain a pretty sweet amp and the set of speakers I wanted in the first place. I got the JCM so I'd have something small and good sounding for college this year or next, but I think I could sacrifice some room space for a halfstack. All that said, it depends on what the guy says. Major problem is that I don't have the money for it at the moment since I bought the LP a few weeks ago and just bought something else the other day. I'd ask my parents if I could borrow money, but I hate asking them for money for personal "luxury" items like amps/gear, especially since I'll be going to college this year or next year. Time to get searching for ideas I guess.

Hey, I have that Bad Monkey pedal by Digitech also.;) Great pedal and it was only around $50! Sweet deal for a pedal that makes my Fender Twin-Reverb sound like a Marshall Stack.:hbang: It makes a great booster pedal also. To me you can get some of the most perfect overdrive sounds from it. Don't sell that.:nono:

Redstone

Reaction score
No deal with the 2203 (Yet). I tried him with my JCM1C and Gibson fatboy strap, but he didn't want them. I'm going to see if I can flog the JCM1C fast and buy the 2203. I like the idea of having a full stack for my YJM as well as a 2203 to be playing with:lol:

I got an PE booster though! Sounds great through my YJM. I've been meaning to record some clips, but I only got it tuesday and my soundcloud did't want to cooperate with me then and I got my final exam results today which tell me If I get to go to college or not (I got enough for the college I want to go to). I should have time tomorrow to get something done. I'd highly recommend getting one of these EP Boosters. They rock! They blend in so well with the YJM. It takes the sound of the YJM and just adds a bit of kick to it. Its pretty hard to describe, but it is pure awesome. I keep the bight and gain switch that are on the inside of it off. If you put both on and max the pedal, it gives a good bit of extra gain, like having the built in boost on around 11 o clock or so, just it sounds a lot more clear, defined and full. You'll see what I mean when I get some clips of it, but it might be hard to hear without hearing it in person. If you ever decide to buy one, get it from thomann.de so if you don't like it before 30 days are up, you can flog it back for full refund to your credit card. You might lose the £10 in shipping though.

Well, back to trying to figure out how to buy this 2203. I've got €200 to spend on it so far, so its a good start. I'm tempted to ask my parents for a loan until I sell my JCM1, but I don't know how much that thing will bring. Knowing the Irish used amps market, it could bring anything from €650 down to €100. If I could get €450-500 for it I'd be delighted. Thats €250 off the original price, but people might be turned off since it needs to use a stepdown transformer to work without frying a fuse (or worse). That was a lesson well learned by me :lol:

Redstone

Reaction score
Nice score!!

The YJM has spoiled me so much that if I go to a music store to try a guitar out, I don't get the full sonic capability of the guitar when I'm forced to run thru meager wana be plexi types. I've played some high end boutique amps that don't even sound half as good and are double the YJM (at the time I got mine) price.

I gotta admit. The YJM can't be beat in my books, especially when paired with the EP Booster. My YJM has fallen into a category of my possessions that I like to call "The Will Never Sell" category. Its also joined by my Gibson SG Angus Young Sig.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well good luck with the amp & greenbacks mate!
I've heard those boosters mentioned quite alot-i'll look forward to a recording!
You know me-boring twat that only uses a wah!

:lol::lol::lol:

:naughty:

Redstone

Reaction score
Well good luck with the amp & greenbacks mate!
I've heard those boosters mentioned quite alot-i'll look forward to a recording!
You know me-boring twat that only uses a wah!

:lol::lol::lol:

:naughty:

Before I got this pedal, I used nothing. I have a boss me50, but I only use it to run 1 guitar into 2 amps. I also have a digitech bad monkey, but I only used that with my Vintage Modern before I sold it. Heck, I don't even use reverb :lol:

Silverburst

Reaction score
Do you guys put a clean boost in front of the YJM that has it own boost already engaged ?

Redstone

Reaction score
Well here is a poorly done sound clip of my YJM with the EP Booster. I still think it sounds much better in person. My Phones mic can't pickup what an ear can.
[SC]http://soundcloud.com/redstonemusic/yjm-ep-booster[/SC]

Silverburst

Reaction score
Thanks, indeed a bit hard to judge on that clip.

So it's an EP in front of your YJM. Is the YJM's boost engaged as well?

Redstone

Reaction score

Its just the EP booster. The YJMs boost could be used to add more gain the the EP Booster if I didn't have it set with enough gain.

I also forgot to mention about the clip that in the second part, it starts off with no EP, just the YJM with the below settings, then it has the EP set at around 10-11 o clock, the lastly on full. All with the gain and bright switch off.

Vol I: 7-7.5
Vol II: 0
Treble: 5
Middle: 4
Bass: 8
Presence: 0
No boost.

duncan11

Reaction score
I gotta admit. The YJM can't be beat in my books, especially when paired with the EP Booster. My YJM has fallen into a category of my possessions that I like to call "The Will Never Sell" category. Its also joined by my Gibson SG Angus Young Sig.

I know! I have a similar pile of 'never sell' gear. The tone I got out of my gear the day I recorded this, sealed their existance in that 'never sell pile'

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/duncan11/heartbreaker-solo[/SC]

Do you guys put a clean boost in front of the YJM that has it own boost already engaged ?

Just the EP in front for me, YJM boost is off 99% of the time now. I was muckin about last weekend on my 5150 for a VH tone, and that was the first time I ran the EP and the YJM boost 'on' in a long time. Like Redstone says, the on board boost coupled with the EP booster in front just adds some gain and a bit more crunch.

Well here is a poorly done sound clip of my YJM with the EP Booster. I still think it sounds much better in person. My Phones mic can't pickup what an ear can.
[SC]http://soundcloud.com/redstonemusic/yjm-ep-booster[/SC]

I likey.

Its just the EP booster. The YJMs boost could be used to add more gain the the EP Booster if I didn't have it set with enough gain.

I also forgot to mention about the clip that in the second part, it starts off with no EP, just the YJM with the below settings, then it has the EP set at around 10-11 o clock, the lastly on full. All with the gain and bright switch off.

Vol I: 7-7.5
Vol II: 0
Treble: 5
Middle: 4
Bass: 8
Presence: 0
No boost.

No channel jump? I mostly run mine channel jumped. The EP pedal I keep set around that same range as well.

I've found that the EP is something essential if you're chasin 'brown sound' tone. I can't dime all the knobs as Ed did it sounds way too brash, but the EP fattens up the tone a lot while adding some more gain but not a huge amount. If you need more, then engage the on board boost, but I would not set the gain too high on it, cuz then it'll clash. This is a prime instance you wish the gain and volume controls for the booster were on the front of the amp!! :D

Redstone

Reaction score
No channel jump? I mostly run mine channel jumped. The EP pedal I keep set around that same range as well.

I normally have my channels jumped, but I was trying out the settings from this video (around 4:50) and I really liked them.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-9igZhS6QE]An Aracom Attenuator and a Few Vintage Marshalls P1 - YouTube[/ame]