YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, the EPA thing was designed for the YJM and the YJM only. Slash did nick it, but left out the 50w mode. WTF does the AFD need EPA for anyway? Its got a Master Volume :lol: I still reckon Marshall should slap it on some of the Vintage series amps. Before I got my VM, I was going to look at a JTM45. Damn thing was too loud so I left it behind. Sounded great though. Not as good as a 1959 or a YJM, but good. The guy in the store recommended the VM since it was based a bit off the JTM. Think about it though. Would you have bought a YJM if it had no EPA and was loud as F@@k. I'd have probably got an AFD or a JCM800. I'm glad the YJm does have EPA. How else would you get such an awesome tone at super low volumes :shred:

EDIT: Let me re-phrase that last part.

How would you unleash he fury and the power of doughnuts with out the YJM :shred:

With one of these low watt midget heads or some kind of attenuator-which is why the YJM is such a popular amp!
Instead of the usual 'match the mod' sigs they had to come up with something else for Yngwie-all his amps were stock!
Soooo-
50 & 100 watt heads-there's your switch!
Dod pedal-there's your boost!
Digital Reverb-Yup!
Ritchie Blackmore fan-Oh Major head!
Occasionally uses an attenuator-EPA!
I could go on but sooner than be a hypocrite-they just made a head that encapsulates everything he requires in one unit-& instead of the usual 'chase the sound' generally usual features were made-
And lets face it-they're VERY useful!!!

:applause:

Redstone

Reaction score
With one of these low watt midget heads or some kind of attenuator-which is why the YJM is such a popular amp!
Instead of the usual 'match the mod' sigs they had to come up with something else for Yngwie-all his amps were stock!
Soooo-
50 & 100 watt heads-there's your switch!
Dod pedal-there's your boost!
Digital Reverb-Yup!
Ritchie Blackmore fan-Oh Major head!
Occasionally uses an attenuator-EPA!
I could go on but sooner than be a hypocrite-they just made a head that encapsulates everything he requires in one unit-& instead of the usual 'chase the sound' generally usual features were made-
And lets face it-they're VERY useful!!!

:applause:

You can't beat the YJM for its combination of awesome tone and heaps of features. I still think they used a Major headbox because they couldn't fit all the awesomeness into a regular one :lol:

BTW, have you changed the pre-amp tubes in your YJM? I had a Tung-Sol tube in mine for a while. It gave the amp a tiny bit more gain, but it didn't last too long. Damn thing started cutting out. Luckily I had the original tube kept spare just in case.

Ealdst

Reaction score
Yep, the EPA thing was designed for the YJM and the YJM only. Slash did nick it, but left out the 50w mode. WTF does the AFD need EPA for anyway? Its got a Master Volume :lol: I still reckon Marshall should slap it on some of the Vintage series amps. Before I got my VM, I was going to look at a JTM45. Damn thing was too loud so I left it behind. Sounded great though. Not as good as a 1959 or a YJM, but good. The guy in the store recommended the VM since it was based a bit off the JTM. Think about it though. Would you have bought a YJM if it had no EPA and was loud as F@@k. I'd have probably got an AFD or a JCM800. I'm glad the YJm does have EPA. How else would you get such an awesome tone at super low volumes :shred:

EDIT: Let me re-phrase that last part.

How would you unleash he fury and the power of doughnuts with out the YJM :shred:

It may have been designed for the YJM but surely it would be a huge missed opportunity to not include it on some future amps, and I know I'm not the only one who would be all over a JTM45 reissue with EPA (and autobias naturally)!

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
It may have been designed for the YJM but surely it would be a huge missed opportunity to not include it on some future amps, and I know I'm not the only one who would be all over a JTM45 reissue with EPA (and autobias naturally)!

It would be cool but it's been over 2 years now & still no sign of it on another amp-people were expecting the JS sig to come with it.........but nope!

Time will tell I suppose!

:hmm:

Redstone

Reaction score
It would be cool but it's been over 2 years now & still no sign of it on another amp-people were expecting the JS sig to come with it.........but nope!

Time will tell I suppose!

:hmm:

Don't forget, it took them like 15+ years to put a master volume on something. :lol:

db3266

Reaction score
There is lots of talk of using the EP Booster in front of the YJM. I also use a pedal in front of the YJM. I use the JHS Morning Glory. It has Volume, Gain and Tone settings.

My EPA is set at about 9 o'clock ~ 1W.

The amp sounds so much better with the pedal in front of it than without. I have the gain fanywhere rom 12 o'clock to dimed on the pedal and V1 on the amp at about 3 o'clock (V2 adjusted to taste).

Without the pedal, I cannot get the OD I want, the amp sounds a little dry without the JHS at the EPA settings I use.

I don't know why the amp will not break up so much without the pedal? The JHS is a very low gain transparant OD so it does not colour the tone of the YJM.

I've been wondering if I should turn the EPA to about 10 or 11 o'clock and hence up the wattage of the YJM and turn the volume on the pedal down. I wonder if this will give me more natural breakup from the amp and allow me to turn the gain down on the pedal?

duncan11

Reaction score
There is lots of talk of using the EP Booster in front of the YJM. I also use a pedal in front of the YJM. I use the JHS Morning Glory. It has Volume, Gain and Tone settings.

The amp sounds so much better with the pedal in front of it than without. I have the gain fanywhere rom 12 o'clock to dimed on the pedal and V1 on the amp at about 3 o'clock (V2 adjusted to taste).

Without the pedal, I cannot get the OD I want, the amp sounds a little dry without the JHS at the EPA settings I use.

I don't know why the amp will not break up so much without the pedal? The JHS is a very low gain transparant OD so it does not colour the tone of the YJM.

I've been wondering if I should turn the EPA to about 10 or 11 o'clock and hence up the wattage of the YJM and turn the volume on the pedal down. I wonder if this will give me more natural breakup from the amp and allow me to turn the gain down on the pedal?

The YJM, even channel jumped, and dimed does not have enough gain for me. Before I got the EP, the on board boost would handle my gain requirements easily. I would still channel jump. Un-boosted, I can do rhythm, but I can't bring out notes on a solo with it and the level of gain it has. Breakup wise, it's nice, got a real vintage bite to it, but I need more gain for when I solo, hence the on board boost which is a god send.

Then enter the EP, and you're absolutely right. I have no idea why it sounds so good in front of the amp. I guess it add the boost, and then if you're channel jumped and dimed on the volumes (on board boost off) the amp will take the boosted signal in front, then run that thru the power section which will get you the nice vintage breakup.

Now the only time I need to engage the on board boost is if I'm doing VH style stuff. EP on, then boost engaged, but just for a teeny bit more gain, not volume. My EP stays on around 11/noon and if you up the EPA (power) to the amp is sounds even better. When I'm forced to play the YJM at 1w or .5w it doesn't sound as good. Shit the last gig I did I was running approx 5-7 watts for the show (that fat troll barmaid telling me to turn down still makes me want to hurl....) It's a YJM it must be played loud.....

Redstone

Reaction score
Speaking of onboard boost, mines f@@ked. Its all kinda muffled and compressed. No clarity at all compared to what it used to be. I don't use it much anymore its nice to use it for a bit of extra gain with the EP booster. It isn't as bad with the gain set to about 9 o clock but it is definitely noticeable. Here is a clip of it with the gain maxed out.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/redstonemusic/ghefrfghd[/SC]

Here is a clip from Home of how it should sound

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/holme76/yjm-high-gain[/SC]

I've got a feeling it might be the preamp tubes. I've never been lucky with those things :lol:

duncan11

Reaction score
Speaking of onboard boost, mines f@@ked. Its all kinda muffled and compressed. No clarity at all compared to what it used to be. I don't use it much anymore its nice to use it for a bit of extra gain with the EP booster. It isn't as bad with the gain set to about 9 o clock but it is definitely noticeable. Here is a clip of it with the gain maxed out.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/redstonemusic/ghefrfghd[/SC]

Here is a clip from Home of how it should sound

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/holme76/yjm-high-gain[/SC]

I've got a feeling it might be the preamp tubes. I've never been lucky with those things :lol:

The First part of the first file sounds decent, just a bit low, but I like the tone. The second part after you engaged the boost that sounds more like gain/volume knob settings on the boost clashing with other settings elsewhere on amp or the EP. Yeah it does sound very compressed. When I last checked the back of the amp, I think my gain knob is set around 2-3oclock and the volume is set at 9 or 10 oclock. I think if you maxxed the gain on the boost out, but choke back the volume on the boots I can see it choking and compressing it.

What power are you running at? I suspect fully attenuated at 1w. The minimum i can get away with safely is around 2-3w if people are home. But when it's no one but me, I run my YJM at 1oclock. That is where it's at. If I go with more power my 20' cable can't get me far enough away from it as it's too loud. The weird thing is, I am OK with the tone I get from my AFD when that is ran fully attenuated down. It still sounds good. The YJM, sounds weaker than it shoudl be. Yes I agree the AFD does improve somewhat with increased power, but that aspect is VERY noticeable on the YJM. The more power you give it, the better it sounds. Kinda like donuts, the more you eat the better you play! :D

arock

Reaction score

(Some content snipped out)

I find a pretty big difference between 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock on the EPA in terms of sustain and apparent breakup. Might be just that the guitar pickups have no feedback interaction with the speakers at that low a volume, or there may be something different about how the circuit itself responds at that level. One note - I always run in 50 watt mode (love the sweetness of that sound), so an EPA at 11 o'clock is 3 watts. By contrast, 9 o'clock is 0.5 watts.

Redstone

Reaction score
The First part of the first file sounds decent, just a bit low, but I like the tone. The second part after you engaged the boost that sounds more like gain/volume knob settings on the boost clashing with other settings elsewhere on amp or the EP. Yeah it does sound very compressed. When I last checked the back of the amp, I think my gain knob is set around 2-3oclock and the volume is set at 9 or 10 oclock. I think if you maxxed the gain on the boost out, but choke back the volume on the boots I can see it choking and compressing it.

What power are you running at? I suspect fully attenuated at 1w. The minimum i can get away with safely is around 2-3w if people are home. But when it's no one but me, I run my YJM at 1oclock. That is where it's at. If I go with more power my 20' cable can't get me far enough away from it as it's too loud. The weird thing is, I am OK with the tone I get from my AFD when that is ran fully attenuated down. It still sounds good. The YJM, sounds weaker than it shoudl be. Yes I agree the AFD does improve somewhat with increased power, but that aspect is VERY noticeable on the YJM. The more power you give it, the better it sounds. Kinda like donuts, the more you eat the better you play! :D

My YJM is normally fine on 0.1 watt. I normally keep it at 9 o clock on the EPA and it sounds perfect even with the gain and volume on the boost maxed. I normally keep the gain at 9 o clock and the volume at 1-2 o clock for the boost, but even at that it still sounds compressed and muffled.

The first part of hat recording was the YJM on its own with a hint of the EP Booster. I've tried it without the EP and the problem is still there. I've tried 3 guitars, 3 different guitar leads, tried running it in stereo, tried two speaker cables. I'll have a go at biasing it, although I did it the other day.

Redstone

Reaction score
I've just done a bit more testing and I think my Cab might be the trouble maker. Its hard to tell. I tried my Bad Monkey with the YJM and its giving a similar muffled kind of sound. I kinda hope it is to cab to be honest. That gives me an excuse to get a 1960AX or AHW :lol: I'll post something in the cabs section and see if someone can help me out there.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I've just done a bit more testing and I think my Cab might be the trouble maker. Its hard to tell. I tried my Bad Monkey with the YJM and its giving a similar muffled kind of sound. I kinda hope it is to cab to be honest. That gives me an excuse to get a 1960AX or AHW :lol: I'll post something in the cabs section and see if someone can help me out there.

Just curious as to why you suspect the cab and not the amp. I'd be more inclined to suspect a preamp tube (as mentioned earlier) than the cab. Have you tried swapping the preamp tubes one at a time with a known good tube?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score

I'm curious as to why you suspect the cab, rather than the amp. I'd be more inclined to suspect a preamp tube than the cab. Have you tried swapping the preamp tubes one at a time with a known good tube?

Redstone

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you suspect the cab, rather than the amp. I'd be more inclined to suspect a preamp tube than the cab. Have you tried swapping the preamp tubes one at a time with a known good tube?

I suspected the preamp tubes at first, but after trying a regular distortion pedal instead of the onboard boast and getting the same problem, I thought it might be the cab. I tried using my JCM1C through the cab and everything sounds fine with the gain on max, even with a pedal on max so I am back to thinking its the tubes again. I'm not sure whether to take it back to the guitar store and get a free service and tubes but have to wait a few weeks without it, or if I should just buy my own preamp tubes.