YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Redstone

Reaction score
I prefer my SG with my YJM over my LP with my YJM, but I prefer the LP with both of the JCMs. Speaking of the JCM, my 2204 is finally gone off to be checked out by a tech, so my YJM and I get to spend some quality time together. Once the 2204 is done, I'll be dropping off my YJM for the tech to have a look at the boost fizz thing.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
I prefer my SG with my YJM over my LP with my YJM, but I prefer the LP with both of the JCMs. Speaking of the JCM, my 2204 is finally gone off to be checked out by a tech, so my YJM and I get to spend some quality time together. Once the 2204 is done, I'll be dropping off my YJM for the tech to have a look at the boost fizz thing.

What's wrong with the boost?

corjac61

Reaction score
Thinking about selling my YJM Head i love it but i've about 10 hours over the last year :scratch:

Redstone

Reaction score
What's wrong with the boost?

If I have channel 1 volume below 7, it sounds very fuzzy. Its difficult to explain. It sounds muffled and fuzz, where as if you jump channel 2 and put both above 7 it sounds fine. The boost sounds crisp like it should. This only seems to be happening to my YJM and Jackdan's YJM. I could be wrong, but I believe he tried another YJM out in a store and it didn't act the same as our two. It was fine. It's not really a big deal, but I do like to just use channel 1 sometimes and this makes it so I can't use the boost when I do so. Its better to get it looked at, just to be sure.

Redstone

Reaction score
Thinking about selling my YJM Head i love it but i've about 10 hours over the last year :scratch:

If you love it, don't sell it. If I were you, I wouldn't let go of it without thinking long and hard about it. If you changed your mind after its gone, it could be expensive to get another one. Not to mention, there mightn't be one in you country. If you've only played 10 hours on it, I suggest playing it a lot more and getting a good feel for it.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score

It's a personal choice of course, but I would hang onto it, unless you absolutely need to sell it for financial reasons. I didn't (and don't) play through mine much, but after selling my 1st one, and seeing how scarce they were getting, I bought another. Although I don't really need it, I do enjoy playing through it, and it's a unique limited production Marshall I plan on hanging on to. They will only go up in value and become harder to find down the road.

Last edited:

duncan11

Reaction score

it's a personal choice if you want to sell it, but I think that if you did, it'd be a sale that you will regret later on. I remember seeing these advertised and thinking meh, I'm not the hugest YJM fan, and they were languishing in dealers inventories. I called one up, made an offer and they took it. If I did want to sell it now, I would almost double what I paid out for it as they were not selling at all at the time. That was early fall 2012. Then within a month there was a flash fervor and all the remaining stock seemed to go. Now they're all gone and only available on the second hand market. I have no intention of ever selling mine unless I was destitute and totally needed cash but even then, if that were the case, I'd just be gigging with it a hell of a lot more I suppose! :D

Jackdan

Reaction score
If I have channel 1 volume below 7, it sounds very fuzzy. Its difficult to explain. It sounds muffled and fuzz, where as if you jump channel 2 and put both above 7 it sounds fine. The boost sounds crisp like it should. This only seems to be happening to my YJM and Jackdan's YJM. I could be wrong, but I believe he tried another YJM out in a store and it didn't act the same as our two. It was fine. It's not really a big deal, but I do like to just use channel 1 sometimes and this makes it so I can't use the boost when I do so. Its better to get it looked at, just to be sure.

Jip, you are correct. I tried another one in the store which didn't have the boost doing the fuzzy thing.

Even though I enjoy my YJM, I want it to work 100%. Currently Im a bit annoyed that I cannot use channel 1 (not jumped) with the boost.

@Redstone: Please let me know what the Tech has to say about this.

Redstone

Reaction score
Jip, you are correct. I tried another one in the store which didn't have the boost doing the fuzzy thing.

Even though I enjoy my YJM, I want it to work 100%. Currently Im a bit annoyed that I cannot use channel 1 (not jumped) with the boost.

@Redstone: Please let me know what the Tech has to say about this.

It will be a while. He has about 4 weeks work of other peoples amps before he gets to work on my 2204 since he was have work done on his house, then I'll be dropping off my YJM. It could be 1-2 months before I even give him my YJM, but I'll be sure to let you know the outcome. Hopefully it is something small like a faulty resistor, capacitor or something.

Odin69

Reaction score

Mine started to sound a little fuzzy and then I swapped out the preamp tubes and it got rid of most of it. Recently, I changed my power tubes becuase, one of them went bad. It still has a little bit but, only if the presence is turned up.

dash8311

Reaction score
That could be the same issue I had, Redstone. Have you seen my YouTube video?

Redstone

Reaction score
Thanks. My problem is different to that. I'll have a go at recording it. Hopefully it will come across well with my mic. I've recorded it before but it didn't come out too well.

Redstone

Reaction score
Well here it is. It didn't come out perfectly. The issue isn't as noticeable on the recording than it is in person. The first chord is just the YJM with the settings below. The 2nd is the same thing but with the boost maxed out. The 3rd is the channel 2 volume rolled off while keeping the boost on. The 4th is the same as the 3rd just adding back in the channel 2 volume half way through.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/redstonemusic/yjm-boost-issue-2[/SC]

See how the start of the 4th chord is not as crisp as the end? Also compare the end of the 3rd chord to the2nd chord. It is almost like the distortion is levelling its self out.

The settings are:

P: 0
B: 6
M: 6
T: 6
V1: 7
V2: 8 (turned down to 0 at the 3rd chord and turned from 0 to 8 in the 4th chord)
Boost: Maxed

The issue is there no matter what the settings are.

aw9190

Reaction score
Hey guys sort of new YJM owner here. Killer amp really! It will be replacing my 75 metal panel which is also a killer amp lol. It seems redundant to have both and it would be better to have cash or other gear. Anyway, the EPA is AWESOME!!! Im running it through a vintage 1936 cab with original g12-65s. the head looks funny sitting on a 1936 cab hahahaha

I have question about the gate. I have never used one before in my life so im not sure if this is just how they are. I like to roll volume down for cleanish type things, and this works no problem but when the gate is on when i roll volume down i hear the background noise come in and out. Is this because there is less of the signal hitting the gate? Also, is there a way to engage the boost without having the gate come on?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Hey guys sort of new YJM owner here. Killer amp really! It will be replacing my 75 metal panel which is also a killer amp lol. It seems redundant to have both and it would be better to have cash or other gear. Anyway, the EPA is AWESOME!!! Im running it through a vintage 1936 cab with original g12-65s. the head looks funny sitting on a 1936 cab hahahaha

I have question about the gate. I have never used one before in my life so im not sure if this is just how they are. I like to roll volume down for cleanish type things, and this works no problem but when the gate is on when i roll volume down i hear the background noise come in and out. Is this because there is less of the signal hitting the gate? Also, is there a way to engage the boost without having the gate come on?

Funny you should bring that up because I was wondering how it'd fit on a 1936 … can you snap a photo or two to give us an idea, please?

aw9190

Reaction score
Funny you should bring that up because I was wondering how it'd fit on a 1936 … can you snap a photo or two to give us an idea, please?

Of course! i will get that up for you guys when i get home from work. the feet will sit on top of the cab safely there is just this overhang that looks goofy.

Redstone

Reaction score
Try turning down the gate. The giher it is, the less sound it lets through. If you don't want to to be present at all, just set it all the way of. Even if it comes on with the boost, it is set to 0 so it is doing nothing. That is what I do with mine since the boost is set low. Try slowly rolling it back while strumming your guitar on your clean tone until it gets to a point where you like it.

Redstone

Reaction score
Cross, is that your YJM in your avatar? It looks super vintage in that pic. Have you got a bigger one?

Latest posts