YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Redstone

Reaction score
My 2204 is cool and all, but the YJM beats its ass any day, in my opinion. What ever about other amps, the YJM is here to stay. My only regret is taking the advice of the dips@%t in the store. I wanted to get a 1960AX but he told me it would blow. If I knew how stupid he was back then I'd have told him to screw himself. If MichaelRT's 200w Major isn't blowing his greenbacks, then my YJM should be fine.

On a side note. I might have enough money for a 1960AX or BX soon. I'm going to try and wait until I get to try my amp through a set of greenbacks if possible. If I like it I will either buy a BX or sell my AV and buy an AX. I'm not sure I have the room for a full stack, unless I maybe put the YJM and 2204 on the floor or something.

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
Get the AX, dude. It's gonna make your sound even better. I tried every Marshall cab out there, and the best ones for this amp are the 1960AX or the AHW. However, after trying those, the AX and AHW side by side for a very long time (since my decision was clear from the very beginning, I'am going to get one of those two), I finally came to the conclusion, that the AX sounded a little fatter and livelier to my ears. I found, that the AHW sounded a little lifeless and too sterile at some points. Still, both are great cabs and you should totally try them side by side as well, to find the sound you want.

:thumb:

Redstone

Reaction score
I'll have to wait and see. I might just get a BX with greenbacks and stick it under my 1960AV. If I knew for sure that I 100% preferred greenbacks, I'd just sell off my 1960AV and replace it with an AX. That is why I will probably just have to wait and see.

Argon66

Reaction score
I use an Orange 212 closed back. Pulled out the V30's and put in Scumback M75's. They are like pre-rola Greenbacks that are very broken in.

The tone is absolutely excellent with the YJM.

Warmer, fatter tone for sure!. Bottom end not as tight, but for me the overall tone was so much better.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll have to wait and see. I might just get a BX with greenbacks and stick it under my 1960AV. If I knew for sure that I 100% preferred greenbacks, I'd just sell off my 1960AV and replace it with an AX. That is why I will probably just have to wait and see.

:hmm:

preview.jpg

:drool::drool::drool:

Redstone

Reaction score
I roughly measured out how big a stack would be if it had my YJM and 2204 on top. Lets just say that its just a few inches of being a support beam for the ceiling :lol:

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
I roughly measured out how big a stack would be if it had my YJM and 2204 on top. Lets just say that its just a few inches of being a support beam for the ceiling :lol:

Yeah I was tempted to get a BX to make mine a full stack & noticed it would be taller than the door frame-an extra head on top & you'll need a step to plug your guitar in!

:lol::lol::lol:

:applause:

Redstone

Reaction score
If I had the space I'd just put an AX beside my AV. I could leave the 2204 on top of the AV and put the YJM on the AX, then I'd have matching 70's and 80's halfstacks.

I'll have to wait and see what the repair bills for the 2204 and YJM are like. Shouldn't be too bad since I've paid for the tubes for the 2204 already.

You should get a BX and another YJM so you and the little guy can rattle the house in style. I'm sure your wife would love it :naughty:

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
If I had the space I'd just put an AX beside my AV. I could leave the 2204 on top of the AV and put the YJM on the AX, then I'd have matching 70's and 80's halfstacks.

I'll have to wait and see what the repair bills for the 2204 and YJM are like. Shouldn't be too bad since I've paid for the tubes for the 2204 already.

You should get a BX and another YJM so you and the little guy can rattle the house in style. I'm sure your wife would love it :naughty:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Get the AX, you won't regret it!

Redstone

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Get the AX, you won't regret it!

I'm going to wait a while and play through some with greenbacks before I buy them. If I like them, I'll get a BX flat cab to put under my AV and make a stack. If I love them, I'll get rid of my AV and buy an AX. If I really really love them, I'll get rid of my AV and get an AX and BX :shred:

Redstone

Reaction score
My YJM always puts a smile on my face. I've been playing a lot of Black Sabbath through it lately. Stuff from the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath record sound great through my YJM.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmEWTZKDk78[/ame]

duncan11

Reaction score
My ears are still ringing from yesterday. I ran my YJM in 100w mode with the EPA set to 3oclock. Holy shite.....I was 20' away from it out in the hallway in the house with it in the study. My channel vols are set at 8 and 9 so running the amp at least at 45-50watts from the EPA. When I hit the boost to do some early VH stuff, it was dead on with a mxr in front. At lower power it's close but when the amp is running higher power it gets you that last elusive 1%

Redstone

Reaction score
I set my YJM to 12 o clock on 100W mode, stepped out of the room and into the hallway with the door shut as much as possible. Damn it sounded good, but the walls and windows will never forgive me :lol: I was way too loud for home use at that level. Good thing theres a decent distance between me and my neighbours.

According to the diagram from the AFDs manual, I was running at 12 watts and you were running at about 45 watts. 12 watts is way too loud for my house. Hell, even my 1 watter through my cab is too loud on max volume :lol:

T7HMOtn.jpg

srvyjm

Reaction score
OK, I bought a YJM100 two weeks ago based on all the praise on this thread and many video's posted...but... I have to say full volume yeah, it's unbelievable for sure. Full on plexi tone without a doubt. What I'm terribly, terribly disappointed in is the minute I engage the EPA, even just a "bit" all my bass and fullness disappears and it sounds like a crappy POS. I mean really bad, thin and useless. I play out every week and was really looking forward to bringing this to my gig, but at full volume I'd be 86'd in a second and my bar let's us play LOUD, but this thing is ridiculous.

So, what am I doing wrong that I can't get decent full sounding tone at a lower volume with the EPA???!!!? I mean it's seriously useless. I'm better off lowering the volume and using a pedal in front to get the distortion I want, but that completely defeats the purpose of this amp. What am I doing wrong?

Redstone

Reaction score
Have you tried running the autobias? What are your settings? Have you the channels jumpered? are you using the boost? What are your boost settings? Any other info on you you use the amp like what cab you use, what guitar/pick up?

My YJM 2x thicker sounding than my 2204, even with the Vol 2 on 5-7 and the bass at 6. Sure it doesn't sound the same at 100W as it does at 0.1W, but it should be in no way thin sounding. Mine rattles my living room with all the bottom end and bass it produces.

If you have your presence knob at about 8-10, take it down a bit. It does get VERY thin and harsh sounding when the presence it set very high since that was the way the 1972 JMP that they based the YJM off of behaved.

srvyjm

Reaction score
Have you tried running the autobias? What are your settings? Have you the channels jumpered? are you using the boost? What are your boost settings? Any other info on you you use the amp like what cab you use, what guitar/pick up?

My YJM 2x thicker sounding than my 2204, even with the Vol 2 on 5-7 and the bass at 6. Sure it doesn't sound the same at 100W as it does at 0.1W, but it should be in no way thin sounding. Mine rattles my living room with all the bottom end and bass it produces.

If you have your presence knob at about 8-10, take it down a bit. It does get VERY thin and harsh sounding when the presence it set very high since that was the way the 1972 JMP that they based the YJM off of behaved.

I have the channels jumpered, yes. Have not tried to run the auto bias, since the amp is working I figured there would be no problem. It's not like the tubes went bad, but I'll try that first thing tomorrow. I use the boost, but it's not on all the time. To get the amp to sound glorious at full volume and not to trebly and harsh I have the Presence and Treble at about 9:00 is all. Bass and Mid full up. I generally run both volumes at about 1:00. Beyond that it doesn't get louder, just more compressed I found. It sounds great at full volume, but when I dial it back with the EPA it immediately looses the bottom end. I have it running through two Mesa 2x12 cabinets with V30's in them, huge amount of bass response normally (with my LoneStar especially). I'm thinking something is wrong with this amp because the EPA changes the sound pretty dramatically in a bad way if I use it at all. I have tried several guitar combos with it too, my Les Paul, my Yngwie Strat, regular Strat, Andy Timmons AT100, etc. All same results. Different tone with all of course, but the amp sounds thin and weak with the EPA engaged at all. Thanks for the response!

Latest posts