YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Redstone

Reaction score
It sounds a lot better on the recording than it does in person. It sounds very odd in person. it sounds great when the 2nd channel is added in, but if it is just channel 1 set at or below 7 it sounds awful with the boost. I'll see if I can get a more accurate recording of it tomorrow. Maybe if I videos it with my camera and strip the audio from it, that might come out more accurate.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Cross, is that your YJM in your avatar? It looks super vintage in that pic. Have you got a bigger one?

No, that's EVH's half stack …

aavhamp.jpg

Redstone

Reaction score
It looks like an older version of your YJM. I guess this is one of the reasons you like the BHW? Since it looks so similar.

aw9190

Reaction score
Try turning down the gate. The giher it is, the less sound it lets through. If you don't want to to be present at all, just set it all the way of. Even if it comes on with the boost, it is set to 0 so it is doing nothing. That is what I do with mine since the boost is set low. Try slowly rolling it back while strumming your guitar on your clean tone until it gets to a point where you like it.

I will definitely try that, and if i still do not like it i guess i could just put it at 0.

I have to admit it looks pretty ridiculous from the side lol:

Redstone

Reaction score
The YJM is a bit big. Its about the same size as a 200W Marshall major. Here is a pic of mine with my JCM800 2204 on top. The 2204 looks like a baby compare to the YJM :lol:

uy9eQK5l.jpg

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I will definitely try that, and if i still do not like it i guess i could just put it at 0.

I have to admit it looks pretty ridiculous from the side lol:

Thanks! Yeah, there's some overlap, but it sure does look great from the front!

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
The YJM is a bit big. Its about the same size as a 200W Marshall major. Here is a pic of mine with my JCM800 2204 on top. The 2204 looks like a baby compare to the YJM :lol:

uy9eQK5l.jpg

Lol, it makes the 2204 look like a Class 5 sitting up there :lol:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
This guys face says it all, right? You can really tell how much he's enjoying the YJM (that's also some righteous tone he's getting)!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLH4wzIiCGE]2 minutes to midnight guitar cover IRON MAIDEN - esp gus g marshall yjm 100 - YouTube[/ame]

Redstone

Reaction score
I love that song :shred2:

Looks like I'm going to go spend the night listening to some Iron Maiden. I've never really listened to the much. This is probably one of their only songs I know off by heart.

That video shows the versatility of the YJM. It can do a lot, it just takes a bit of playing with the settings. I've seen people call Plexis one trick ponies before, but the YJM sure ain't one.

aw9190

Reaction score
I love that song :shred2:

Looks like I'm going to go spend the night listening to some Iron Maiden. I've never really listened to the much. This is probably one of their only songs I know off by heart.

That video shows the versatility of the YJM. It can do a lot, it just takes a bit of playing with the settings. I've seen people call Plexis one trick ponies before, but the YJM sure ain't one.

I logged on before to respond, and watched that iron maiden video and immediately X'd my browser out and played my YJM. :shred:

I really like using the onboard boost with no gain, and then adding something another boost in front of the amp (SD1, OD9, OCD). Seems to help get a little compression going so it isnt so hard to play the amp. Im sure it full volume only one boost would be necessary

aw9190

Reaction score
Im sure many of you guys have already seen this, but this is the clip that sold me on the YJM. I heard this guy playing it and said to myself "yup, this is it right here"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTKYxJ06xxk[/ame]

Redstone

Reaction score
What sold me on the YJM was the EPA and being able to get it cheaper than the AFD. I liked the AFD because of its EPA, but when I heard there was a Plexi with EPA I got excited. Then I saw the nearly €2k price tag and almost gave up. I had a look at a few other websites and found it for €1550 (AFD was €1600). I immediately inquired at my local store how much it would cost for me to buy it from them. If it wasn't for it being €1550 on thomann.de/ie, they would have gone with the full price (which was 1550 punds UK, almost €2k). I'm glad I bought it at the right time. I was very lucky. If it wasn't for it being on thomann.de/ie I probably would have gone with an AFD. I'd still love an AFD, but I would have never experienced the glory that is the YJM. I wouldn't change my decision, even if the AFD was €1000.

John 14:6

Reaction score
This is the video that really sold me on the YJM100 before I bought one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWWTcHb_f3I]Testing Marshall YJM 100 - YouTube[/ame]

duncan11

Reaction score
What sold me on the YJM was the EPA and being able to get it cheaper than the AFD. I liked the AFD because of its EPA, but when I heard there was a Plexi with EPA I got excited. Then I saw the nearly €2k price tag and almost gave up. I had a look at a few other websites and found it for €1550 (AFD was €1600). I immediately inquired at my local store how much it would cost for me to buy it from them. If it wasn't for it being €1550 on thomann.de/ie, they would have gone with the full price (which was 1550 punds UK, almost €2k). I'm glad I bought it at the right time. I was very lucky. If it wasn't for it being on thomann.de/ie I probably would have gone with an AFD. I'd still love an AFD, but I would have never experienced the glory that is the YJM. I wouldn't change my decision, even if the AFD was €1000.

EPA sold me on both amps. I ended up paying just about the same for both amps but I got them about 7 months apart. I hope that Marshall incorporates EPA on some other future releases, full adjustable dials like these have not a 1/5 watt switch.

Redstone

Reaction score
EPA sold me on both amps. I ended up paying just about the same for both amps but I got them about 7 months apart. I hope that Marshall incorporates EPA on some other future releases, full adjustable dials like these have not a 1/5 watt switch.

I'm still waiting for a Major with EPA and a Silver Jube with EPA. I'd love those.

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
The fact that it's a regular 1959SLP, which can also be used at home and has a few mods, that make it really versatile sold me on it. I always wanted to have a Super Lead, but never liked attenuators like the Marshall PowerBrake etc. With the EPA, I can finally turn the amp way down and still get that awesome sound plus the boost and especially the reverb sound superb! I still remember, when I placed my order in early January this year. It got here after about 6 days when I ordered it and I still had to save up for my cab. I went to our local music store to try it out, see if everything works and even more important: if it sounds as good as expected and if it's right for me. I turned it on and could not belive, what I was hearing. It's just the best sounding amp I've ever heard/played. I'll never buy another amp again, unless I can get my hands on a Silver Jubilee or a Wizard Modern/Vintage Classic, but the YJM will probably always remain my favorite amp!

Latest posts