YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

indeedido

Reaction score
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
photo-6.jpg

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
You're getting me excited & I've owned one for 6 months!:lol::lol::lol:
:thumb:

Red_Label

Reaction score
This. I remember getting the "Black Star" flexible disc with Guitar Player magazine back in those days and I couldn't believe my ears. It was absolutely out of this world, and it still is. As a huge Blackmore fan I was delighted to listen to his natural heir and to this day I don't think anybody can touch Yngwie in terms of sound, technique and creativity.

Absolutely! The tune that really blew my mind off that album at first was "Now Your Ships are Burned". Just insane. And pretty heavy/dark for the day. Later-on I appreciated the more Bach-ish tunes from that album. And on Marching Out, it was "Soldier Without Faith" that used to really get it done for me. I used to play that in a band. I think that most of the people who saw it in my little town in Montana back then were like... WTH???

BTW... I played "Kree Na Kouree" at talent show at a Catholic High School as a Senior in another high school. But that was the encore. My band did Maiden's "The Trooper" for the main song and the judges later told us that had we done the Alcatrazz tune for the main one, we'd have won. LOL. My own senior talent show was a medley of "Black Star" and "Icarus' Dream Suite" if I recall correctly. My math teacher at the time was a good dood and really dug that show.

Damn... all this Yngwie talk has me wanting to pick up the YJM, get another scalloped guitar, and relive some of the old times. Haven't played that stuff in years! Unfortunately... my chops aren't quite up to that level any more. :( (But at least my phrasing and tone are better!)

Red_Label

Reaction score
My favorite Yngwie moment was when I saw him in a hallway after a show. He was walking really slowly. I said do you need any help? He said nah kid. I said do you want my coke? He said ok and drank it. Then as I was walking off he said, hey kid, catch. And he through me the biggest jelly filled doughnut. I said thanks Mr. Malmsteen!

:applause:

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Right,Red Label & Max!
Get these songs posted so we can hear 'em!
Maybe you'll get me & Soul eating 'humble pie'
It's the YJM thread,so get your favourite YJM moments posted!
We WANT to hear them!

Red_Label

Reaction score
Right,Red Label & Max!
Get these songs posted so we can hear 'em!
Maybe you'll get me & Soul eating 'humble pie'
It's the YJM thread,so get your favourite YJM moments posted!
We WANT to hear them!

Right... cheers! :headbanger:

P.S. If you weren't exposed to Yngwie in the first couple of years that he really broke-out (after Steeler and Alcatrazz), then it's really hard to understand the earth-shaking, world (of guitar) altering effect that he had on the scene. Comparable guitar events would be like when Hendrix broke big, and when EVH broke big. They changed the course of electric guitar in a MUCH more pronounced way than their other great contemporaries. And so did Yngwie. I've certainly been into other rock/fusion players who were mind-blowing technical wizards (Holdsworth, Gambale, Govan, etc). But those three guys really ushered-in completely new eras in the electric guitar more than any others as far as I'm concerned (and I know I'm not the only one). And it just so happens that all three were huge Marshall guys in their prime. Coincidence? I think not! :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_i-AIQZto"]Now Your Ships Are Burned - Yngwie Malmsteen(Rising Force) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBQD3nxqW-s"]Yngwie Malmsteen - Soldier Without Faith.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

John 14:6

Reaction score
Right... cheers! :headbanger:

P.S. If you weren't exposed to Yngwie in the first couple of years that he really broke-out (after Steeler and Alcatrazz), then it's really hard to understand the earth-shaking, world (of guitar) altering effect that he had on the scene. Comparable guitar events would be like when Hendrix broke big, and when EVH broke big. They changed the course of electric guitar in a MUCH more pronounced way than their other great contemporaries. And so did Yngwie. I've certainly been into other rock/fusion players who were mind-blowing technical wizards (Holdsworth, Gambale, Govan, etc). But those three guys really ushered-in completely new eras in the electric guitar more than any others as far as I'm concerned (and I know I'm not the only one). And it just so happens that all three were huge Marshall guys in their prime. Coincidence? I think not! :D

Now Your Ships Are Burned - Yngwie Malmsteen(Rising Force) - YouTube

Yngwie Malmsteen - Soldier Without Faith.wmv - YouTube
I agree with you about Yngwie, and he did have the same kind of impact on the guitar playing world Hendrix and EVH did, albeit without the same kind of commercial success. A lot Yngwie's stuff went over the heads of a lot of people and some folks just did not care for the "overdone" classical elements in his playing. I am right around Yngwie's age and I was a young guitar play who thought I was pretty hot stuff......until the day I heard Malmsteen. :lol: That changed everything and turned my world upside down. I was into players like Jeff Beck, Hendrix, Page and digging new players like Gary Moore and George Lynch at the time. I was a Van Halen fan also, but I never really jumped on the tapping band wagon because everyone was doing it, or over doing it. I first heard Yngwie in early 1985 when a radio station played the entire Rising Force album. I loved it and I wanted to cry at the same time.:) Yngwie raised the bar so high I could not even see the darn thing anymore. There has not been another player since who has had that kind of effect on the guitar playing community. Yngwie just took things as far you could go. I think someone really needs to have been a young guitar fanatic at that time to really understand just how Yngwie Malmsteen so radically impacted guitar players around the world in the 1980's.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_i-AIQZto"]Now Your Ships Are Burned - Yngwie Malmsteen(Rising Force) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBQD3nxqW-s"]Yngwie Malmsteen - Soldier Without Faith.wmv - YouTube[/ame][/QUOTE]

:wow:
It's like a cross between Rainbow,Deep Purple,Ritchie Blackmore & classical master class!
I'm impressed!:applause:
If that's what eating doughnuts does for you I'm ordering 2 dozen :lol::lol::lol:
Think I'm going to have to invest in a copy of 'Rising Force' & give the 'chest rugged' one some air time!

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
As it goes Yngwie has been a Marshall enthusiast from day one & although I'm guilty of not giving the hairy one as much air time as he deserves I HAVE to respect his dedication to Marshall & genuinely usefull input on this amp.
YJM isnt an embarrassment on this amp,it's a VERY small stamp he truly deserves & more!:applause:
(I'm still going to tease him about doughnuts though!:lol::lol::lol:)

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah our newest doughnut slinger!:headbanger:
How you finding it Indeedido!:thumb:

Red_Label

Reaction score

:wow:
It's like a cross between Rainbow,Deep Purple,Ritchie Blackmore & classical master class!
I'm impressed!:applause:
If that's what eating doughnuts does for you I'm ordering 2 dozen :lol::lol::lol:
Think I'm going to have to invest in a copy of 'Rising Force' & give the 'chest rugged' one some air time!
:thumb:[/QUOTE]

Nice! Those two songs are definitely the more "metal" ones on those albums. The first album especially, is much more "Bach rock" than it is hard rock/metal. And I love every second of it.

Yngwie really DID go about as far as you could go, technically. As I mentioned earlier, there are other monsters past and present like Holdsworth, Govan, etc... who are technically as capable. But Yngwie really elevated things to the level that no-one has come along and blown what he did out of the water. You get beyond that point and it ceases to be musical at all (Michael Angelo anyone?). Despite the claims by many that Yngwie just "plays fast with no soul", he's got an awesome "violinish" tone, vibrato, phrasing, etc. Honestly, I really like a few of the guys that I mentioned, but to me they don't have as much soul in their playing as Yngwie does.

Anyways.... I'm pretty biased because I lived through the revolution that Yngwie brought-on. Though the other shredders that he paved the way for are still around, few of them generate the kind of respect and awe that he still commands (despite his over-fed appearance... LOL!). The fact is, their songs just weren't as memorable or musical. Tony MacAlpine, Vinne Moore, et al... I dug them all. But honestly... I haven't put any of their material on in years. Whereas I'll still pull some Yngwie out once in a while when I'm in the mood. He was/is an iconic original. Well... you could counter that Bach, Paganini, Uli and Blackmore came before. But as much as anyone can really be an original these days, I believe he is. :dude:

indeedido

Reaction score
Ah our newest doughnut slinger!:headbanger:
How you finding it Indeedido!:thumb:

I am LOVING it! First amp I've had in a long time that felt like an instant keeper. Honestly I've been playing it for the last three days and have been having so much fun with it I haven't had time to post a new amp day! I'm really curious to put some EH6CA7s in it. Anyone tried any in theirs yet?

It really starts to open up with the EPA a quarter way to halfway up. Just drips with tone at halfway with some pants beginning to flap. I'm surprised at how responsive the tone stack is. My Marshall 1959slp reissue eq wasn't all that responsive, you could just max them all out. This one has some nice subtle changes as you move them around.

On design thing that is odd to me is the footswitch. The leds should be under or above each switch. In a dark stage you can't tell what you are activating and deactivating where the lights are. Small complaint but relevant.

indeedido

Reaction score
I do have a couple of questions for the other owners.

1. When I power down, even with the standby switch engaged for a few minutes, when I turn off the power the sound comes back on really loud before it shuts off. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be quiet and just turn off? Maybe it has something to do with the EPA and the volumes on front being up?

2. I turn the amp off with the boost and reverb engaged. When I turn it back on they are no longer active and I have to turn them on. Shouldn't it remember to leave them on? Is this normal, does everyone's do this?