YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Redstone

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the only problem I thought about with this cab. But where in the world would you want to crank this amp to maximum? I think that nobody out there will like it if you crank a Plexi all the way up and the guys in the audience will have to handle 130db! :wow:

You could already use it as a weapon of mass destruction!! :D

:thumb:

Some people love a cranked plexi, I don't know anyone who bough a YJM to crank it. That would defeat the purpose of getting a YJM over a 1959slp. I tried my YJM on 100 watts with both volumes on 1. HOLY SHIT it was loud :wow:

dash8311

Reaction score
Some people love a cranked plexi, I don't know anyone who bough a YJM to crank it. That would defeat the purpose of getting a YJM over a 1959slp. I tried my YJM on 100 watts with both volumes on 1. HOLY SHIT it was loud :wow:

I bought mine because it was a 1959 circuit with a built-in attenuator, and noise gate that was switchable to 50 watts. I can live without everything else!

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score

See, that's why a 1960AX is just completely fine for a YJM :thumb:

And I'am going to try it un-attenuated with both volumes on 1. I remember playing a JTM45 which is 30 watts and I couldn't get both volumes past 2. It was already so damn loud! :wow:

Lookin' forward to try that with the YJM, which is a 100w Plexi :naughty:

:applause:

Last edited:

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
See, that's why a 1960AX is just completely fine for a YJM :thumb:

And I'am going to try it un-attenuated with both volumes on 1. I remember playing a JTM45 which is 30 watts and I couldn't get both volumes past 2. It was already so damn loud! :wow:

Lookin' forward to try that with the YJM, which is a 100w Plexi :naughty:

:applause:

Been using a my YJM with a 1960AX since 2011-no probs at all!:)
Turn the EPA off & get those Volumes on 3-you'll feel 'the snap!'

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:Ohno:

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
Been using a my YJM with a 1960AX since 2011-no probs at all!:)
Turn the EPA off & get those Volumes on 3-you'll feel 'the snap!'

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:Ohno:

Hell yeah! Is it possible that you can upload a little sound clip or something? I'd love to hear the YJM with Greenbacks. That'd mean a lot to me! :dude:

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hell yeah! Is it possible that you can upload a little sound clip or something? I'd love to hear the YJM with Greenbacks. That'd mean a lot to me! :dude:

Well the only recording I've done was on an ipad & i did it more to demo how much gain/distortion you could get out of it at low volumes as people seemed to be under the impression it only did clean & crunch!
Still it's using a 1960AX so here you go!

YJM HIGH GAIN by Holme76 on SoundCloud - Hear the world

:thumb:

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score

olirc7usa

Reaction score
hello, i need some advice with my YJM 100

can you please let me know your EQ setting ???

I bought it new and since the beginning, i'm stunned that there's A LOT of treble in my sound...

i used the input 1 + linked 1/2 channels to activate the boost channel ...

VOLUME 1 : 6
VOLUME 2 : 8

BASS / 10 :shock:
MIDDLE / 5
TREBLE / 1 OR 0 !!! :shock:

presence around 3

i'm using a marshall mr1936v cabinet...

is it normal or do i need to modify the bias or something like that ?? or the speakers are not 'the best' one to match this head ?

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score

I bought it new and since the beginning, i'm stunned that there's A LOT of treble in my sound...

MIDDLE / 5

presence around 3

is it normal or do i need to modify the bias or something like that ?? or the speakers are not 'the best' one to match this head ?

Hi there. Welcome to the YJM thread! :thumb:
First of all, I'd like to tell you that this is not an issue at all and that your amp works fine. The YJM100 is basically a Marshall 1959 Super Lead with mods. The 1959 is a veeery trebly head, more trebly than any other Marshall amp you'll ever get. No need to worry, everything is fine with your amp. :)

Cheers! :jam:

Redstone

Reaction score

MIDDLE / 5

presence around 3

Welcome to the forums :thumb:

You shouldn't have to run your amp with those setting to get a sound you like. Make sure you are using the right speaker input i.e. the 8ohm one for a 2x12. Try running an auto bias on it. Hold down the FX loop and 100/50watt button at the same time and turn on the amp. Wait about 3-5 mins and boom, you're done. You don't have to hold the buttons after you switch it on.

If that doesn't work, it might be warranty time. Take it to your local dealer and ask them to fix it. Tell them to try replacing the preamp tubes, that is usually the problem.

A recording would help us determine whats up with it. You can use soundcloud on your smatphone or tablet or even laptop.

Good luck :thumb:

Argon66

Reaction score

MIDDLE / 5

presence around 3

I see some opportunities to try a few things like how you are using Channel 1 and the mids.

Dude...I find on my amp that if i back off channel one to 8 or less...it starts to really brighten up. If you find it a bit too bright...try the following settings and tell me how it sounds.

Ch1 max
Ch 2 max
B 3:00
M 3:00
t 2:00
Pres 11:00

I was running mine like this for a while...and fount it too warm...wanted some of the bite and clean snap back...so ended up only using Ch1 on 3:00 (not jumpered) presence at noon...and all tone controls 2:00. This gives me a good clean with the vol on my LP rolled back, a nice crunch openend up. Then i kick in my OCD to really make her scream.

Oh Yeah...one other thing...I find V30's a bit spikey for my liking...no matter what amp i'm using. I have an Orange 212 and swapped out the V30's with Scumback M75's (basically broken in pre-rola Greenbacks)...and DAMN! what a difference! But that is a whole lot more work and money than tweaking a few simple dials :)

Again try this and see if there is a difference.

olirc7usa

Reaction score
thanks for your replies...

i've tried all the possible settings (with and without power reduction, 50w/100w, channels linked or not,...etc ), several guitars : in any case, it was a very poor & agressive sound, not defined distortion in boost channel, with treble setting at 0 !...

i made a autobias setting.... same problem

well it's not possible for the 'ultimate plexi' of yngwie ...

so it must probably come from somewhere ? .... let's have a look to the signal effect chain !

So i remove the wah before the amp and let's try directly into the amp without any effect chain... and .... :applause: :dude:

problem is coming from the wahwah (in true bypass), or from a jack / or powersupply cable !!! not from the amp ... it sounds so good now !!!

:) happy end !

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
thanks for your replies...

i've tried all the possible settings (with and without power reduction, 50w/100w, channels linked or not,...etc ), several guitars : in any case, it was a very poor & agressive sound, not defined distortion in boost channel, with treble setting at 0 !...

i made a autobias setting.... same problem

well it's not possible for the 'ultimate plexi' of yngwie ...

so it must probably come from somewhere ? .... let's have a look to the signal effect chain !

So i remove the wah before the amp and let's try directly into the amp without any effect chain... and .... :applause: :dude:

problem is coming from the wahwah (in true bypass), or from a jack / or powersupply cable !!! not from the amp ... it sounds so good now !!!

:) happy end !

Well, I'am happy to you could find a solution for that problem. I'am still kinda surprised though. I still get an awesome sound with my wah pedal engaged. But you have to keep in mind that the YJM is a very trebly head, so you won't get those modern, detuned rock kind of sounds. Anyway, glad your amp is working fine and that you found the sound you like. :p

Cheers! :cheers:

Argon66

Reaction score
Boost pedals with YJM

I use a LP Traditional with my YJM.

I'm not a big fan of the internal boost.
I have been using my OCD V4 running at 18v on the LP setting for the most part.

Find it is the most transparent of the settings on the OCD.

Wondering what others may be using.

Love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

duncan11

Reaction score
Re: Boost pedals with YJM

I use a LP Traditional with my YJM.

I'm not a big fan of the internal boost.
I have been using my OCD V4 running at 18v on the LP setting for the most part.

Find it is the most transparent of the settings on the OCD.

Wondering what others may be using.

Love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

I used to use the onboard boost, but since getting an EP boost, I've pretty much left the on board boost off.

First :40 secs of this vid are with the EP boost 'on' the rest the EP is 'off'. You can hear a noticeable difference.

The onboard boost on the YJM is off for the whole time. Setup is:
guitar-EP-amp (channel jumped). That's it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GolG5XJtxkg]EP boost with YJM and Goldie - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the same setup but not recorded with a DSLR. SM57 into Presonus Audiobox USB

https://soundcloud.com/duncan11/heartbreaker-solo

guitar-EP-amp

My gig last friday I never once engaged the on-board boost with this setup now. I do say that the onboard boost is decent, but to me, the EP is much warmer while giving some gain, it's not making it brash or muddy. It's just right.

Argon66

Reaction score

I used to use the onboard boost, but since getting an EP boost, I've pretty much left the on board boost off.

First :40 secs of this vid are with the EP boost 'on' the rest the EP is 'off'. You can hear a noticeable difference.

The onboard boost on the YJM is off for the whole time. Setup is:
guitar-EP-amp (channel jumped). That's it.

EP boost with YJM and Goldie - YouTube

Here's the same setup but not recorded with a DSLR. SM57 into Presonus Audiobox USB

https://soundcloud.com/duncan11/heartbreaker-solo

guitar-EP-amp

My gig last friday I never once engaged the on-board boost with this setup now. I do say that the onboard boost is decent, but to me, the EP is much warmer while giving some gain, it's not making it brash or muddy. It's just right.

Cool...I have heard great things about that little guy. How does it stack up against a Timmy or the RC Booster....ever try those?

So is it a pure clean boost, or does it add a little something?

j-co

Reaction score
I've got an OCD V4 as well, that I run on the LP setting as well and it sounds very good. I agree with your comment about the transparency of that pedal.

I prefer the Catalinbread RAH through that amp. I've had to tweak te settings on the pedal bit more than the OCD to take some of the pedal's voice out of the mix, but overall I like it a lot better through the YJM.

Argon66

Reaction score
I've got an OCD V4 as well, that I run on the LP setting as well and it sounds very good. I agree with your comment about the transparency of that pedal.

I prefer the Catalinbread RAH through that amp. I've had to tweak te settings on the pedal bit more than the OCD to take some of the pedal's voice out of the mix, but overall I like it a lot better through the YJM.

Oh yeah..That is the Jimmy Page...esque pedal. Never heard it live. How would you say it compliments the YJM more than the OCD or others?

j-co

Reaction score
The RAH is a darker sounding pedal as it's trying to cop a Hiwatt tone; not a TON of distortion as it really is an overdrive pedal, but just enough to give a little bit rounder sound and take some of the brightness away from the YJM. I've got to roll the bass control back to get there, but can't seem to get the same feel as the OCD.

Initially, I never had a problem with the boost circuit on the YJM, and read some of the comments from others about that feature sounding "generic or sterile". Tried those pedals through the amp, and I would say the OCD sounds a bit better than the boost, and the RAH is better than the OCD to my ear.

duncan11

Reaction score

Cool...I have heard great things about that little guy. How does it stack up against a Timmy or the RC Booster....ever try those?

So is it a pure clean boost, or does it add a little something?

up to +20db of pure clean boost. Tried both dip switch settings but preferred the 'factory' dip setting. If you change it, it puts more emphasis on bass frequencies. Still sounded good but to me was a bit muddy so I switched it back. I have not tried any of the others you mentioned.