YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blue

Reaction score
I've tried a couple of boost pedals with my YJM, and gotten very nice results each time. The first was my Thundertomate Fat TB, which is still the best treble booster I've ever used. It can be used to add a little boost and sparkle to your sound, right up to the biggest, most searing roar you've ever heard! maybe even too much sometimes.

The other was a Keeley Time Machine boost. this is a great pedal, and the 4 different boost options do all sound different. I find which one i favour varies from day to day.

what I've ended up doing is using the internal boost with the gain a bit higher for a chunky rhythm sound, and using one of my boost pedals for leads. Sometimes on top of the internal boost :)

Before this amp, i was never really interested in noise gates, but now I own an ISP decimator, and wonder how I managed without it

Odin69

Reaction score
Yeah, the EP booster sounds great on the YJM. Out of all the pedals I own, it sounds the best to me.

Lately, I've been using my Fulltone full-drive 2 on it. It sounds good, but, I have to back the tone control to the left to take out the treble; and turn the volume up to get a fatter sound, as the pedal sounds bright to me.

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
I don't use any boost pedal at all, lol! The only boost pedal I got is the Boss DS-1, but this one just collects dust. If I want a boosted sound, I just use the one in the YJM as it's sound is perfect for me. The only pedals I really use is my Dunlop Cry Baby Wah and a Boss CS-3 Compressor if I use my Strat and that's IT!

:thumb:

dash8311

Reaction score
I had a RAH pedal but it's not the boost pedal you'd think it would be. It's really designed, like all of those Catlinbread pedals, to be plugged into a clean/loud Fender to achieve Marshall/Hiwatt crunch. And it does that very well. But when you have a YJM, a JMP 2203 and a JMP1H, they sound similar or better without the pedal. It's creating atone you already have.

Great products though, well built and high quality.

j-co

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, I just prefer the RAH to the on-board boost as I'm not looking to change the overall tone of the amp, just to give it a bit more bite.

Argon66

Reaction score
I had a RAH pedal but it's not the boost pedal you'd think it would be. It's really designed, like all of those Catlinbread pedals, to be plugged into a clean/loud Fender to achieve Marshall/Hiwatt crunch. And it does that very well. But when you have a YJM, a JMP 2203 and a JMP1H, they sound similar or better without the pedal. It's creating atone you already have.

Great products though, well built and high quality.

Yeah...i hear what you are saying...many are designed for a super clean channel to make it sound like marshall.

I really love the base tone the YJM and my LP produce...so I guess what I am really seeking is something super transparent to drive it harder for the times I really want it (as my base tone is fairly clean).

My OCD does a pretty good job, but now am thinking I should try a timmy or the EP to kick it into a higher gear.

Can either of these help you get some harder 70's rock or even 80's metal tones?

olirc7usa

Reaction score
i had a Wampler Triple Wreck... for high gain metal distortion...i sold it very quickly...i don't like that tone.

i'm using a mxr 401 clean boost for solo...it works PERFECT !

Argon66

Reaction score
Saw a classified for a Timmy today so jumped on it. Really weird that I was thinking about a clean boost and low and behold. Meant to be :dude:

Will be trying it in an hour or so!!!!!

Will see how it stacks with the OCD. Will put it last in my chain.

Will probably use it for a nice crunch on top the YJM, then kick in the OCD for leads.

Should be all bases covered now. Well let you know how it goes.

Im stoked!!!

Argon66

Reaction score
Saw a classified for a Timmy today so jumped on it. Really weird that I was thinking about a clean boost and low and behold. Meant to be :dude:

Will be trying it in an hour or so!!!!!

Will see how it stacks with the OCD. Will put it last in my chain.

Will probably use it for a nice crunch on top the YJM, then kick in the OCD for leads.

Should be all bases covered now. Well let you know how it goes.

Im stoked!!!

Yup. Just what I thought. The Timmy can be super transparent, and helps push the amp into a sweeter spot without much coloration. If you want to add some gain, not just volume, it can take a little time to dial in, but the bottom line is it gives me a fatter crunch tone for sure. SWEET!

I used the OCD for a volume boost for leads and all bases covered. 3 channels essentially.

This set up is pretty damn sweet.

I think I'll try it the other way around for fun to see what happens (OCD for fatter crunch, Timmy for lead boost) but I dont think it will sound as good...but you dont know until you try.

My chain is Les Paul, Retrosonic Phaser, OCD, Timmy, YJM. Have a delay in loop but rarely use it.

Redstone

Reaction score
Has anybody tried playing some old Sabbath stuff in C# tuning? I tried it out today and it sounded sick!

db3266

Reaction score
What would you say is the going rate for a used (home use only, un-marked, complete with all packaging, perfect working order etc) YJM100 is in todays market?

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
What would you say is the going rate for a used (home use only, un-marked, complete with all packaging, perfect working order etc) YJM100 is in todays market?

I've seen them on eBay for £1400 before now!
(which is more than what I payed new!):wow:

You thinking of getting rid db?!

:hmm:

db3266

Reaction score
yeah, I'm very tempted to get either a Fender Bassman 4x12LTD or a Bluebreaker Combo and get London Power Scaling installed. I can't decide which though. I would need a pedal in front of the Bassman for the liquid sustain of a JTM, but I would still have that nice warm Fender tone for when I want it. The JTM is what it is, but as with the YJM, I find myself wanting some Fender cleans. Hell, if the YJM sells for £1400 I could get both!!