What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

• Thread starter tallcoolone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JPummil

Reaction score
Either one or both of these guys in the front of my SV20H. Also have a BE-OD Deluxe, but it requires some careful adjustments on the amp to keep feedback down if I'm trying to get much crunch natively from the tubes themselves.

ODs.jpg

nightraider43

Reaction score
I've got a '78 JMP 2104 and a '66 Fender Super Reverb that I have hooked up to a Radial aby switcher. I have a Friedman Golden Pearl in line with a Friedman BE-OD that sounds incredible through both together or separate.

NumbSkull

Reaction score

Today I have been trying out these 4,

DEMONFX YJM308​

DEMONFX ZDRIVE​

DEMONFX R4​

DEMONFX ANGEL BLUE DRIVE
Based on the Timmy V2

I like the YJM, its has two 3 way switches so there are 3x3 = 9 voicings.
They all sound similar but I like the GE 308 setting best.
Better with reverb as it can be a bit harsh.

The Zdrive is also good, not amazing but fine for a cheap pedal.

The R4 is fun, Big sound.

Angel drive seems a bit pointless to me, fine for the price if you dont already have an overdrive but does nothing for me. Nothing wrong with it but not better than the volume knob.

I still think Fuzz is king but I have been trying to like overdrive and its growing on me.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
A question,
Would you consider this an overdrive ?
I think of it more as a high gain preamp pedal,
it changes the sound of the amp to produce an overdrive tone, but the tone is coming from the pedal, not overdriven tubes.

It is one of my fav pedals but I would not call it an overdrive.
But I guess it must be because it says overdrive on it.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boss SD1 going on over 30 years now.
I've tried fancier/more expensive ODs but always came back to my old SD1 so I eventually gave up on buying other OD pedals. 😂
I love mine too. Im the exact opposite of time spent with it. Thought most were over hyping it and that turned me off. Sound bytes were decent enuff but i can be indifferent at the wrong times. So after many years i got one. Love it. Price is stellar too. Just went with good ole yellar.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Full-time fulldrive v2. Fulltones sound the most like the Marshall itself. Mostly just use it on the clean channel for trad blues and jazz tones, a little compressor at times. The gain channels don't generally need boosting, just use a graphic eq in the loop for solos if the mix is getting muddy, just makes a definition boost, not really a gain boost. And my full-time deje vibe doubles nicely as a high gain solo boost....just makes things liquid and glassy without a treble spike.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
I use an OD with higher level but zero gain on some channels, some amps. Adds some extra to the Jubilee, is essential with the 800 4010, and I sometimes goose ch 2 mode B on the 6101 and red mode ch 2 on the JVM410. The TSL on Ch 2 likes it too.
I find ODs with simply a tone control to be lacking some low end IMO. I have an old Bad Monkey I really like for the 2 band EQ and recently picked up an MXR super Badass Distortion used the same way. It has 3 band EQ. It works for me.

SuperBadAss-large.jpg
JVM crunch channel red mode boosted, mine with a fulltone, is sweet.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Timmy, Archer Klone, POB Zentastik(Dumble), TDrive, Superlead Plexidrive, with a couple delays, EHX Worm, and a Shaky JimiVibe/chorus in the loop
I found the shaky Jimi to be so anemic compared to my deja vibe. It is cheap tho. Glad it works for some people.

GHancq777

Reaction score
I've been using a TCE Mojo Mojo for years, I have 1 for each pedal board. I recently bought a Warm Audio Centavo ( a great Klon clone) and its my new favorite.

BakedBeans

Reaction score
Thought about this when reading the Tubescreamer thread...I love dirt boxes in front of all—but especially Marshall amps. Bought and sold dozens and dozens of them and I think still have at least a dozen lying around. Love to hear experiences of others...here is what I have at the moment

Maxon OD820—honeymoon period but I love this guy. Like the TS9 but more treble, more headroom...just BIGGER. Also physically larger so keep in mind
Timmy—love this, got replaced by the new Maxon OD820 but will be back. The original ‘transparent’ od
TS9–benchmark mid hump od best run low in front of an already overdriven amp
Secret Preamp—my ‘always on’ pedal at the end of the board. Not really an od, more of a compressor? I dunno—try one out, you’ll thank me.
SoloDallas Storm—like the SP, more of a compressor/boost than an OD but where the SP is subtle the Storm is like a cock punch. Tons of boost on tap and something else that changes your tone more drastically than the SP.
Archer Ikon—best ‘Klone’/Klon Cline I’ve tried. Pretty unique—not a ton of boost but I really liked it run like a TS—low gain, tone up. Great in front of my SC20 when it’s breathing a bit
Naga Viper treble booster—Rangemaster circuit apparently? Sounds ‘Sabbath-y’ to me in front of my Marshalls. I like a lot of high end to my tone and this is lacking a bit in that Dept
Tone Job EQ/booster—replaced the Detox as my ‘clean channel’ pedal. Set low it works just like your guitar volume the way it cleans up your tone. But better and actually tweakable
OCD—if I were going to a gig not knowing what I was going to have as a backline I’d bring the OCD. At home in front of anything really—played a hard rock gig once with a 100w Hiwatt in a small room and only an OCD and a wah
This is a little like asking which desert tastes the best. We all hear different things in our mind's eye of what is the "best" tone. I recently built the StewMac "2Kings" pedal (based on the famed Analogman) and I love it. Others I use are The Dude, OCD, and the Bogner La Grange. All three impart unique sounds to cover a wide variety of styles. The 2Kings pedal can really thicken the tone while retaining not articulation clarity - rather magical really.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
This is a little like asking which desert tastes the best. We all hear different things in our mind's eye of what is the "best" tone. I recently built the StewMac "2Kings" pedal (based on the famed Analogman) and I love it. Others I use are The Dude, OCD, and the Bogner La Grange. All three impart unique sounds to cover a wide variety of styles. The 2Kings pedal can really thicken the tone while retaining not articulation clarity - rather magical really.
Yup, that’s why I have over 2 dozen and I keep wanting more, like the Buxom @solarburn was mentioning.

I didn’t bond with The Dude myself but I love the other JRockett pedals I have. Prob my fave over the last 6mos is the Archer Clean—it bumped the Rockaway off my board and that was my fav the previous 6mos. Love the KoT—still waiting for my email to buy a real one so I’m using a King of Clone right now. Very cool pedal

Last edited:

Ric Gallaher

Reaction score
Thought about this when reading the Tubescreamer thread...I love dirt boxes in front of all—but especially Marshall amps. Bought and sold dozens and dozens of them and I think still have at least a dozen lying around. Love to hear experiences of others...here is what I have at the moment

Maxon OD820—honeymoon period but I love this guy. Like the TS9 but more treble, more headroom...just BIGGER. Also physically larger so keep in mind
Timmy—love this, got replaced by the new Maxon OD820 but will be back. The original ‘transparent’ od
TS9–benchmark mid hump od best run low in front of an already overdriven amp
Secret Preamp—my ‘always on’ pedal at the end of the board. Not really an od, more of a compressor? I dunno—try one out, you’ll thank me.
SoloDallas Storm—like the SP, more of a compressor/boost than an OD but where the SP is subtle the Storm is like a cock punch. Tons of boost on tap and something else that changes your tone more drastically than the SP.
Archer Ikon—best ‘Klone’/Klon Cline I’ve tried. Pretty unique—not a ton of boost but I really liked it run like a TS—low gain, tone up. Great in front of my SC20 when it’s breathing a bit
Naga Viper treble booster—Rangemaster circuit apparently? Sounds ‘Sabbath-y’ to me in front of my Marshalls. I like a lot of high end to my tone and this is lacking a bit in that Dept
Tone Job EQ/booster—replaced the Detox as my ‘clean channel’ pedal. Set low it works just like your guitar volume the way it cleans up your tone. But better and actually tweakable
OCD—if I were going to a gig not knowing what I was going to have as a backline I’d bring the OCD. At home in front of anything really—played a hard rock gig once with a 100w Hiwatt in a small room and only an OCD and a wah
Joyo Tauren. Awesome inexpensive

Alter Ego

Reaction score
These 3 are for boost or extra ooomph. My sound and gain are all amp. The fuzz does color the sound but is minimal and used for only a couple of songs.

Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
OCD
EH Flat Iron Fuzz

prg435

Reaction score
SD1 Waza and Buxom Boost. I change it around sometimes which one I use as the main OD and the solo boost. Lately it's been SD1 as my primary overdrive with the Buxom in the loop to boost volume and a little more mid in the eq.

JMP1shaun

Reaction score
IMG_5742.jpegHi guys hope everyone is well Happy New Year and all the bollox,right in front of the amp on my board my drives are Analogman KOT ,Nobles ODR1 & Rock Your Repaired Amps Klon Klone tend to lean on the Nobles a lot the RYRA is by far the best Klone for me KOT Marshall’s up any amp

Attachments

• IMG_5134.jpeg
    IMG_5134.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts