• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Selling Regrets ?

• Thread starter Steve Smith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ron glover

Reaction score
For me it is my 59 bassman reissue. Non Ltd version came to me in rough shape. Guitar Center had it for sale as a Relic version. Realized it was not and they sold it to me at a much lower price. Retubed it with JAN Phillips WGBs and replaced the non original speaker. I also re some of the frayed and loose tweed, then lacquered the cabinet. Great sounding amp. Became my main gigging amp for a number of years. Had to sell it because I needed the money .

Last year I had a chance to buy a Ltd version for a good price. I use a deluxe reverb with a neo speaker these days ,so the bassman would be impractical ,but bought it anyways. There it sits in my music room and I use it as my amp to plug in to practice on a daily basis.

C-4

Reaction score
Yes and no. I've had lots of gear over the years, and I'm absolutely of the "I don't really need it anymore, so lets sell it" kinda guy.

I've gone through this my entire playing life, since the mid 1950's. Yes, I'm old and in the way now.
I had a nice collection of Marshalls from Plexi's onward, right up till last year.

However, I missed having Marshalls, and just pre-ordered a custom tolexed 2525H, since higher wattage Marshalls cannot be played at decent volume in the clubs I would play in now.

Since electronic gear needs to be turned on for at least 15 minutes, twice a year (as I was told), I felt it would be better to unload the gear I no longer play, and hope it all finds a good home.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
There were thousands of old Marshalls
never switched on for bout 20/30 years, some
of them rotting around in basements or
shacks all the years. They often
worked fine on first powerup.

I had other 50s gear which hasnt been
powered on for over 5 decades.
Worked fine.

I wouldnt totally rule out drying capacitors, but
besides that there is really not much that goes
bad without regular usage in amplifiers.

Back on topic:

As far as selling regrets only one 70s 24 tracks
live mixing console with built in tapeecho.

It added an amazingly huge and airy sound
to everything you put through it.
Never had another board adding this magical
aura around the sound again.

Sold it real cheap. Every now and then i look
for one, but couldnt find another yet.

Second maybe bigger regret was leaving
a very good old studiomachine at the house
of a weed addict. Couldnt take it with me
so i was supposed to get it at next visit.

Well, stuff went sour after that and this
machine made that addicted piece of scum
alot of money.

Well, live and learn.

Last edited:

Strattele

Reaction score
Sore subject maybe ... but who has sold an amp that years later wish they had not?

I realise that it is a fiscal thing but not always.

My 2 are...

1976 Fender Twin Silverface in mint condition I bought for £180 in 1980 and sold for 200 quid in 88 to buy drugs (no not really)

1989 first Edition JCM900 100W dual channel head I got almost new from a skint mate for £150 with the proviso that he could buy it back for 200 when he got back on his feet. Was moving into a small 1 bedroom flat at the time and the GF told me that we did not have room for all my music stuff.
Still feel sick. 1959 Gibson Explorer, completely original, 1954 Fender Deluxe, 1956Fender Princeton. A pair of 1962 Princetons.😢But the one I am truly shattered about was my 1960 Fender Harvard. So stupid.

Ian Spry-Shute

Reaction score
2 for me an orange AD30TC combo (best sounding amp I ever owned) they don't make the combo anymore! And a marshall handwired 1 x 12 combo (can't remember the model number I think it was 19 something X?) it had a greenback in it, it always sounded a little dark to me, I was playing a strat at the time but I think that amp would sound amazing with my current Les Paul Special (with humbuckers)

C-4

Reaction score
There were thousands of old Marshalls
never switched on for bout 20/30 years, some
of them rotting around in basements or
shacks all the years. They often
worked fine on first powerup.

I had other 50s gear which hasnt been
powered on for over 5 decades.
Worked fine.

I wouldnt totally rule out drying capacitors, but
besides that there is really not much that goes
bad without regular usage in amplifiers.

Back on topic:

As far as selling regrets only one 70s 24 tracks
live mixing console with built in tapeecho.

It added an amazingly huge and airy sound
to everything you put through it.
Never had another board adding this magical
aura around the sound again.

Sold it real cheap. Every now and then i look
for one, but couldnt find another yet.

Second maybe bigger regret was leaving
a very good old studiomachine at the house
of a weed addict. Couldnt take it with me
so i was supposed to get it at next visit.

Well, stuff went sour after that and this
machine made that addicted piece of scum
alot of money.

Well, live and learn.
Yes, I was told that the caps dried out. I've had some really wonderful Marshalls and other amps while I was playing live, as well as some very nice high-end guitars, but if I had kept everything, as I wish I could have, I would have no room left in my home to live in, and I love my wife, so in the last few years, I gradually sold off everything but 3 guitars.

Last week, I sold off the last of my amps, none of which were Marshalls, but turned around and pre-ordered a 2525H, and a Quad Cortex. That's all I will need at this time.

mark123

Reaction score
The only one I really regret selling is a Sovtek Tube Midget 50. It was reliable and loud. It also didn’t have that inherent hiss that my Mesa Mk iii had.

Haggath

Reaction score
I got rid of a JCM 2000 DSL 401 and sold it back in 2014. Regretted it until I got one in January this year. I sold it again about a month later and made £100 profit…

Carl M

Reaction score
My first Marshall was a 1967 Super PA. I sold it to finance my 1976 Super Lead when I was 18, because I wanted the Super Lead look… Bad move, but I still have the ’76 SL and it has served me well for decades.

MaxScorpio

Reaction score
I owned a 100 watt Marshall Plexi moded by Tim Caswell for something like 15-20 years that was pretty beat up looking. It lived most of its life with me, in the roadcase. I’m pretty sure it was the infamous #39 “UseYour Illusion”mod Tim is known for. Wouldn’t mind having that one back.

Blh4216

Reaction score
78 Marshall JMP mkii 50w master vol twin 12 black backs. Best ever owned for years. Bought used at that time for like $300 guy dumped it sitting outside in his backyard neglected I cleaned up it was my baby. Hard anytime I think about it. I had many Les Pauls but my brother bought me an an original 56 Les Paul Special pre-humbucker TV yellow for Christmas along time ago. Between the two of them could never poduce that sound again. Glad had the honor at least.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sore subject maybe ... but who has sold an amp that years later wish they had not?

My 2 are...

1976 Fender Twin Silverface in mint condition I bought for £180 in 1980 and sold for 200 quid in 88 to buy drugs (no not really)

1989 first Edition JCM900 100W dual channel head I got almost new from a skint mate for £150 with the proviso that he could buy it back for 200 when he got back on his feet. Was moving into a small 1 bedroom flat at the time and the GF told me that we did not have room for all my music stuff.
Hello. New here. I've been playing off and on for 50 years. I had a Marshall 100 watt head that I cant figure out exactly what its was. The two switches on the left front were the plastic rocker/lighted power switch. There were six control knobs, and four inputs on the front right corner. I believe two "Hi" and two "Low". In my pics, which aren't crystal clear I can see "JMP" on the left front.
The only other info I can offer is I got it used in about 1983. Ill try to attach a pic.

Attachments

• 20220415_082521~3.jpg
    20220415_082521~3.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 4

FIREpunkMEDIC

Reaction score
Last fall I had to sell a 1983 JCM 800 2203, all original. My dog fell ill and needed emergency care which cost $$$$, I turned a HEALTHY profit on the amp from the price I purchased it years ago but miss that amp. Even worse, my pup passed in January. Miss that amp, but not nearly as much as I miss my dog. It got me another few months with her and THAT part I don't regret at all....

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
It would have to be my '83(?) Vertical input JCM 800 2204... I just recalled I have some audio of me noodling and riffing on it and... oh even thru the shitty speakers in the cab and the shit microphone I was recording with AND YouTube's compression it still sounds glorious IMO...

The magical jangle of those clean verses on Like A Rolling Stone I'm playing in the beginning... Shit it was magical! I am so thankful for my SV20h and it's close BUT I have yet to play an amp as magical as that one even other 2204s... Fk why did I sell it? I can't even remember! I was in love with it too! I think it was to fund a Fender CS Strat that I ended up not liking AT ALL...

I hope whoever has that amp shows up here, maybe one-day I can be reunited and if not I hope he's taking good care of it. I would say that was about 12+ years ago... sigh... I want it back haha

*edit* And when you got that thing cookin' the percussive thud in your chest was always incredible... I remember thinking that amp felt violent when playing it loud, it would beat you up with force.

Last edited:

Dean Swindell

Reaction score

My 2 are...

Marshall Major (1987) Hiwatt DR103 (1996) and 2204 (92016). Maybe shouldn't have returned the Victory Sheriff 44 recently.

John Stedman

Reaction score
Traded an early 80's Marshall JCM 800 2204 I had bought new for an ADA MP-1 and a transistor power amp in the early 90's. Bought a Rivera S-120 combo a few years later and sold the Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series 4x12 for $400.00 so I could buy a computer with a Pentium MMX 233 CPU. Still have the MP-1 and power amp, but the computer is presently in a landfill somewhere. Lesson learned: never trade or sell guitar gear for anything other than more guitar gear.

Last edited:

JBA

Reaction score
I’ve re-bought a few amps that Ive sold but for me I had one new Chinese greenback of 4 that sounded different.. way better than the rest (i broke them in). I figure it was some component mix up at the factory. Later sold a pair and was planing to sell one more and keep the good one for a combo in the future or something... but the guy bugged like crazy for two.. and I let it go. It had better top end, more low loose end and even resonated lower than the other three when I tapped it. I’ve run sweeps of many speakers in my days and have never come across one so out of spec... and in a good way at that.